+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Running Backs are a dime a dozen

Here is that thread.

David Wilson "needs to grow up"??? Sounds to me like we may have swung and missed. Too early to tell, but RBs are in fact a dime a dozen unless you get the Petersons or Richardsons in the top 10. This team would be thrilled to have Doug Martin over David Wilson right about now. Look at all the other RBs taken late as well, the Skins for example have a 6th round rookie who looks like a first round draft pick.
    "Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth."

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnalyst View Post
    Here is that thread.

David Wilson "needs to grow up"??? Sounds to me like we may have swung and missed. Too early to tell, but RBs are in fact a dime a dozen unless you get the Petersons or Richardsons in the top 10. This team would be thrilled to have Doug Martin over David Wilson right about now. Look at all the other RBs taken late as well, the Skins for example have a 6th round rookie who looks like a first round draft pick.
    It's very common for early round running backs to get a chance to produce immediately.

The Giants don't follow that trend, apparently. Doug Martin would be on the bench right now if the Giants selected him instead of Wilson.
    “Losers assemble in little groups and complain about the coaches and the players in other little groups, but winners assemble as a team,”

- Emlen Tunnell

Gmenagain was banned? Surprised it took this long lol.

Veteran
    RB coach Jerald Ingram on running game progress

http://www.giants.com/media-vault/vi...4-6d77ecbee216

Quote Originally Posted by joemorrisforprez View Post
    It's very common for early round running backs to get a chance to produce immediately.The Giants don't follow that trend, apparently. Doug Martin would be on the bench right now if the Giants selected him instead of Wilson.
    Doug Martin would not be sitting on the bench right now if he was here. He would be our best running back. He was more NFL ready then Wilson. A lot more.

Quote Originally Posted by Firenugget View Post
    I'm tired of hearing that. No offense to you personally, just in general. RB's are definitely not a dime a dozen. Unless of course you mean 3rd/4th string RB's...

As far as the Bucs go I like Wilson better than Martin myself.
    I think he means they are easier to find than most positions which is true I guess.

As a Running Back, one who has played this position and continues to do so, no they are not

maybe an average back, but an elite game changing back, no not a "Dime a dozen"

Quote Originally Posted by TheShouldersOf View Post
    As a Running Back, one who has played this position and continues to do so, no they are not

maybe an average back, but an elite game changing back, no not a "Dime a dozen"
    Thats what the post says. The elite backs like Peterson are not a dime a dozen. Those backs come once in a while and I feel Trent Richardson is another back like that. But how many SBs have these back won? RBs are a dime a dozen. Not to knock their talents, but without an oline opening holes, no running back (maybe outside Barry Sanders) will look good. Look what the Giants did with Derrick Ward behind a solid oline. They made him a great running back in 2008. Then he left and wasn't even half the running back he was here. This happens all the time. It is mostly the Oline controlling which RBs are good and which aren't, with the obvious exception of the best in the league.

Look at Shady McCoy this year to last. Last year he was on top of the NFL. This year with no Oline, he is struggling mightily. Get Wilson (1st round pick) a great Oline and he will shine. Get Brown (4th round pick) a great Oline and he will shine. Get Bradshaw (7th round pick) a great oline and he will shine. Get Ward (UDFA) a solid oline and he will shine. Get (Insert quality RB here) a solid Oline and he will shine. Oline controls a RBs success more then RBs controlling the Olines success.

Look what Pittsburgh is doing. Mendenhall, Dwyer, Redman, Rainey... who ever. They all look good because the Oline is opening holes and pushing DLs back.

Unfortunately bumb on this guy.... Wilson still proving me right. Dime a dozen is the RB these days.

Quote Originally Posted by TuckYou View Post
    I am not thrilled with this pick at all. I wasn't thrilled with JPP though either, so, really it doesnt mean much.

BUT

Running backs are a dime a dozen. The only one I would of taken is Richardson. After that, it is too deep to get one in the first.

Im not saying Wilson will be bad or a bust by anymeans, but I feel we reached. I feel we were hoping Doug Martin was thereand the Bucs straight up smacked us in the nose by trading right in front of us and snagging him.

And I want to go on record and say that Courtney Upshaw is going to be a probowler for years to come. Watching this guy play, he could do it all. Rush the passer, play LB, ect. Reminds me of when DeMeco Ryans slipped. Upshaw will be better then Ryans, who won the DROY and has been to multiple probowls.

I would of rather taken someone to replace MM like Stephan Hill. It's a passing league now. We dont run the ball as much as we used to. And it netted us a 2nd SB in 4 years. Nicks and Cruz willnot both be resigned.

Our Oline was one of the worst for run blocking in the NFL. That isnt going to change much. Id almost rather we rebuild the Oline. Cordy Glenn, Konz, Adams...The trenches.

Anyway, I dont agree with the pick, but Reese is the man so I guess we will see what his game plan is. I guess I am just a little sour because the Bucs made us look bad too.

I'm fine with Wilson, but I understand your point.

Alot of these "stud" runningbacks were simply the product of dominating college lines. Ron Dayne is a perfect example.

I would much rather focus on the offensive line for our early draft picks.

Pugh was a good start. Reese needs to go back to that next year as well.

Drafting statistics (see draftmetrics.com) support that offensive lineman have the best rookie/3 year/5 year starting percentage of any positional group. Also, they tend to be able to slide across to other positions well (i.e., a tackle can convert to guard, center, etc).

The stats also show that there is a huge difference between guys taken in the top 75 picks, and guys taken thereafter. So this notion that Reese can address pressing needs in the later rounds is really just betting on Vegas odds - sometime it works (e.g., Ahmad Bradshaw), but most often, these guys are just roster filler until a better player is available the following year.

I think 2 things are true:

#1 - Reese needs to help repair this line. Boothe is okay. Baas, Snee, and Diehl have declining shelf lives. The guys backing up the starters just aren't that good.

#2 - Reese needs to hit on his first two rounds. He can't afford drafting guys that can't start quickly and play well.

The late rounds are for backups, and for rolling the dice on players......it's not a strategy that will build a team's foundation, nor address roster weak spots (OL, LB).
    Last edited by joemorrisforprez; 09-19-2013 at 12:22 PM.
    “Losers assemble in little groups and complain about the coaches and the players in other little groups, but winners assemble as a team,”

- Emlen Tunnell

+ Reply to Thread