+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by joemorrisforprez View Post
    I'm fine with Wilson, but I understand your point.

Alot of these "stud" runningbacks were simply the product of dominating college lines. Ron Dayne is a perfect example.

I would much rather focus on the offensive line for our early draft picks.

Pugh was a good start. Reese needs to go back to that next year as well.

Drafting statistics (see draftmetrics.com) support that offensive lineman have the best rookie/3 year/5 year starting percentage of any positional group. Also, they tend to be able to slide across to other positions well (i.e., a tackle can convert to guard, center, etc).

The stats also show that there is a huge difference between guys taken in the top 75 picks, and guys taken thereafter. So this notion that Reese can address pressing needs in the later rounds is really just betting on Vegas odds - sometime it works (e.g., Ahmad Bradshaw), but most often, these guys are just roster filler until a better player is available the following year.

I think 2 things are true:

#1 - Reese needs to help repair this line. Boothe is okay. Baas, Snee, and Diehl have declining shelf lives. The guys backing up the starters just aren't that good.

#2 - Reese needs to hit on his first two rounds. He can't afford drafting guys that can't start quickly and play well.

The late rounds are for backups, and for rolling the dice on players......it's not a strategy that will build a team's foundation, nor address roster weak spots (OL, LB).
    Building the OL has to be top of the priority list. But it was top mine for a while. Reese just found out before last draft and even then I dont think he realized how bad it has decayed. Snee and Baas are out next. Diehl is done already. Boothe is on a 1 year. Before that we took a huge hit losing Seubert and OHara.
    "It wasnt Eli's fault he threw that interception"

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnalyst View Post
    Building the OL has to be top of the priority list. But it was top mine for a while. Reese just found out before last draft and even then I dont think he realized how bad it has decayed. Snee and Baas are out next. Diehl is done already. Boothe is on a 1 year. Before that we took a huge hit losing Seubert and OHara.
    Our OL is going to be hurting for a while. We're wasting away Eli's "prime" years. Although the way he's been playing, he may have already hit his prime and is on the downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by gumby74 View Post
    Our OL is going to be hurting for a while. We're wasting away Eli's "prime" years. Although the way he's been playing, he may have already hit his prime and is on the downtown.
    I agree with both you guys.

That's why it can't be some 5th or 6th round development project. It needs to be a high pick that can start as a rookie.....another guy like Pugh (1st) , or Snee (2nd). Beatty was a 2nd as well....and fortunately for him, when he was drafted (2009), the line was still in good shape. That luxury is gone.

Reese gambled that some late round guys would eventually develop. Unfortunately, the veterans are starting to slide sharply, and guys like Petrus, Whimper, Mosley, Brewer, etc simply have not filled the ranks.

I'm totally cool with rolling the dice with runningbacks, receivers, and other positions late in the draft. But that's not how you build the foundation.

San Francisco went heavy on the OL in the early rounds of 2010, and tranformed from an 8-8 squad to an NFC powerhouse.
    http://www.ninersnation.com/2010/4/2...s-a-brief-look
    Last edited by joemorrisforprez; 09-19-2013 at 02:52 PM.
    “Losers assemble in little groups and complain about the coaches and the players in other little groups, but winners assemble as a team,”

- Emlen Tunnell

Exactly. Build the trenches.

Exactly. Build the trenches.
    I remember watching the Packers/Niners NFCCG.....the 49ers offensive line simply outmatched the Packers D, and there wasn't a thing Aaron Rodgers could do about that matchup.
    “Losers assemble in little groups and complain about the coaches and the players in other little groups, but winners assemble as a team,”

- Emlen Tunnell

Running backs ARE a dime a dozen but good offensive linemen aren't.

This is not late breaking news. Our FO has fumbled the opportunity and obligation to remake the OL over the last 4 years.
    Just think of it, we keep guys like Petrus, Capers and Brewer hanging around in developmental mode. Was it not obvious to the coaches that these two and others in our reserves didn't have what it takes to be a top OL?

Now, I don't know what we can do near term.
    No one remembers who came in second.

reading my posts in this thread made me really sad

I remember how excited I was to have David Wilson based on what I saw of him in college

....I am no longer excited and am quickly reminded that some players just don't transition well

Quote Originally Posted by YATittle1962 View Post

I remember how excited I was to have David Wilson based on what I saw of him in college

....I am no longer excited and am quickly reminded that some players just don't transition well
    You aren;t the only one. There were a few on here basically yelling at me that it is a great pick and RBs are not a dime a dozen.

Quote Originally Posted by FBomb View Post
    [quote user="TuckYou"]

Ok, I think some of you would love any pick that Reese made, and that doesnt make you wrong or right, or me wrong or right. Its all opinion.

Bottom line is, I feel we could of got a great value RB later in the draft, in means of being productive for our team right now. Ill say it again, I think Wilson could be a great RB for us and hopefully will. But I feel like other RBs could be as well, in the later rounds. Meanwhile there were some nice other players there right now. I think Stephan Hill is going to be a very good WR. I think Upshaw is going to be dominant.

lol....yeah, let's just dismiss all the valid arguements and facts thrown at you and write it all off to JR homers!!!

As always, you make me laugh!!

[/QUOTE]

Damn FBomb got owned on this thread.

All-Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by YATittle1962 View Post

not convinced he wont transition yet.
    "Measure Twice......Cut Once"
    You couldn't be more full of **** if you were break dancing in a Port-a-Potty.......Kruunch