+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Running Backs are a dime a dozen

All-Pro

Running Backs are a dime a dozen

I am not thrilled with this pick at all. I wasn't thrilled with JPP though either, so, really it doesnt mean much.

BUT

Running backs are a dime a dozen. The only one I would of taken is Richardson. After that, it is too deep to get one in the first.

Im not saying Wilson will be bad or a bust by anymeans, but I feel we reached. I feel we were hoping Doug Martin was thereand the Bucs straight up smacked us in the nose by trading right in front of us and snagging him.

And I want to go on record and say that Courtney Upshaw is going to be a probowler for years to come. Watching this guy play, he could do it all. Rush the passer, play LB, ect. Reminds me of when DeMeco Ryans slipped. Upshaw will be better then Ryans, who won the DROY and has been to multiple probowls.

I would of rather taken someone to replace MM like Stephan Hill. It's a passing league now. We dont run the ball as much as we used to. And it netted us a 2nd SB in 4 years. Nicks and Cruz willnot both be resigned.

Our Oline was one of the worst for run blocking in the NFL. That isnt going to change much. Id almost rather we rebuild the Oline. Cordy Glenn, Konz, Adams...The trenches.

Anyway, I dont agree with the pick, but Reese is the man so I guess we will see what his game plan is. I guess I am just a little sour because the Bucs made us look bad too.

Re: Running Backs are a dime a dozen

I'm tired of hearing that. No offense to you personally, just in general. RB's are definitely not a dime a dozen. Unless of course you mean 3rd/4th string RB's...

As far as the Bucs go I like Wilson better than Martin myself.

Veteran

[quote user="TuckYou"]

I am not thrilled with this pick at all. I wasn't thrilled with JPP though either, so, really it doesnt mean much.

BUT

Running backs are a dime a dozen. The only one I would of taken is Richardson. After that, it is too deep to get one in the first.

Im not saying Wilson will be bad or a bust by anymeans, but I feel we reached. I feel we were hoping Doug Martin was thereand the Bucs straight up smacked us in the nose by trading right in front of us and snagging him.

And I want to go on record and say that Courtney Upshaw is going to be a probowler for years to come. Watching this guy play, he could do it all. Rush the passer, play LB, ect. Reminds me of when DeMeco Ryans slipped. Upshaw will be better then Ryans, who won the DROY and has been to multiple probowls.

I would of rather taken someone to replace MM like Stephan Hill. It's a passing league now. We dont run the ball as much as we used to. And it netted us a 2nd SB in 4 years. Nicks and Cruz willnot both be resigned.

Our Oline was one of the worst for run blocking in the NFL. That isnt going to change much. Id almost rather we rebuild the Oline. Cordy Glenn, Konz, Adams...The trenches.

Anyway, I dont agree with the pick, but Reese is the man so I guess we will see what his game plan is. I guess I am just a little sour because the Bucs made us look bad too.

[/quote]

I'm usually one of the first guys to criticize Reese. But this was a very good pick, that addressed a big weakness.

The Giants won despite their running game, not because of it. In fact, the running game was one of the reasons the Giants were one game from not making the playoffs at all.

Prior to the draft, the running game was even worse, due to Jacobs leaving.

Right now, Bradshaw has missed OTA's.He missed games last season, and barely practiced.

The Giants just can't bank on Bradshaw being 100% this year....it's not realistic given his history.

One of the reasons the Giants running attack suffered was because Bradshaw was injured, and even when he was ready to play, he didn't practice during the week.

So, running back was a glaring need. Reese took the best player available to address that need.

The kid ran for 1700 yards last season. He's crazy fast, and built like MJD and Ray Rice.

Great pick by Reese/Ross, in my opinion.

All-Pro

glad u qualified it by saying you didn't like the JPP pick either

the only thing i wil give you is that the Giants would have a hard time selling this as a BPA pick

even if he was the highest on our board ... that would mean to me that our board was created with need in mind

but i trust Jerry, RBs are a dime a dozen but special RBs aren't, so let's see what we got here

and the fun has just begun ... nothing like shopping for Grocery's when you already have a Championship gourmet meal on the table

Giants felt there will be a run on HBs in the 2nd round, and by the time they were on the clock again the quality at the position would be subpar

[quote user="G-Man67"]

glad u qualified it by saying you didn't like the JPP pick either

the only thing i wil give you is that the Giants would have a hard time selling this as a BPA pick

even if he was the highest on our board ... that would mean to me that our board was created with need in mind

but i trust Jerry, RBs are a dime a dozen but special RBs aren't, so let's see what we got here

and the fun has just begun ... nothing like shopping for Grocery's when you already have a Championship gourmet meal on the table

[/quote]

Why is that so important? Can't it be that a need can be filled with a BPA? We draft who we draft for whatever reason(s). Most of the time, it seems to work here. I've never understood it to be a board devoid of need concern but rather we will take BPA when our turn comes and if it fills a need, great. They must have more than one option at each pick in the event that their BPA is gone when they pick.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

He was timed @4.35 for the 40 at Pro day. He's said to be a "stellar pass catcher". The way the League is today, he's exactly what the Dr ordered. Miss a tackle and he's gone. Teams will have to respect his speed.

[quote user="slipknottin"]Giants felt there will be a run on HBs in the 2nd round, and by the time they were on the clock again the quality at the position would be subpar[/quote]

This makes the most sense to me. How could they let him go for another BPA knowing Wilson would be long gone at pick 64. I thunk it was a good move for now and the future. I'd like to see them get another TE and OT on offense and a DT/DE on defense.

Do you think they would consider trading up for Fleener offering Osi and a 7th round pick? Fleener will never make it to 64.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

[quote user="Husky"]He's said to be a "stellar pass catcher".*[/quote]

eh? His 21 catches dont real make him a stellar pass catcher. He could probably be pretty good on bubble screens, but he has very little experience as a receiver

All-Pro

[quote user="Firenugget"]I'm tired of hearing that. No offense to you personally, just in general. RB's are definitely not a dime a dozen. Unless of course you mean 3rd/4th string RB's...

As far as the Bucs go I like Wilson better than Martin myself.
    [/quote]

No, RBs are a dime a dozen. Bradshaw is a perfect example. 7th round. Jacobs was a 4th round. Only time will tell though.

For now, I trust Reese and will root hard for David Wilson. I just see this as a need pick, not a BPA.

+ Reply to Thread