+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Only 6 of the top 20 rushers were drafted pass the 2nd round.

I think it is a misconception that running backs can be easily replaced in the later rounds. Only 30% of the top 20 running backs were drafted pass the 2nd round. It is true that running backs' careers are shorter than the other players but it is wrong to believe that it is easy to get good running backs in the later rounds.... 30% isn't a good percentage. Sure there are rare players like Arian Foster and Michael Turner but majority of the top rushers were picked in the top 2 rounds. And getting a later draft RB like Shonn Greene, Michael Bush or Fred Jackson in the later rounds isn't something that I would be happy about. Anybody want to get RBs like Shonn Greene, Michael Bush or Fred Jackson in the later rounds? I know Fred Jackson was having a good year until he got hurt last season.

Only 6 RBs (30%) of the top 20 rushers were drafted pass the 2nd
    round..... Only 3 RBs of those 6 (15%) would I be willing to have on the Giants.
    The percentages are very low to get a GOOD RB pass the 2nd round. Giants
    chance to get an Arian Foster or Michael Turner is low. The Giants
    could also get stuck with a Michael Bush (4th round) or Shonn Greene
    (3rd round).

I heard RBs are easily replaceable, dime a dozen, just get great RBs in the later rounds, etc.... It worked with Jacobs and Bradshaw (2 championships) but Jacobs is gone and Bradshaw is going on his 6th year with injury concerns. And lets not forget that the Giants had the worst rushing game last season.

Re: Only 6 of the top 20 rushers were drafted pass the 2nd round.

[quote user="bflo23"]I think it is a misconception that running backs can be easily replaced in the later rounds. Only 30%* of the top 20 running backs were drafted pass the 2nd round. It is true that running backs' careers are shorter than the other players but it is wrong to believe that it is easy to get good running backs in the later rounds.... 30% isn't a good percentage. Sure there are rare players like Arian Foster and Michael Turner but majority of the top rushers were picked in the top 2 rounds. And getting a later draft RB like Shonn Greene, Michael Bush or Fred Jackson in the later rounds isn't something that I would be happy about. Anybody want to get RBs like Shonn Greene, Michael Bush or Fred Jackson in the later rounds? I know Fred Jackson was having a good year until he got hurt last season.

I heard RBs are easily replaceable, dime a dozen, just get great RBs in the later rounds, etc.... It worked with Jacobs and Bradshaw (2 championships) but Jacobs is gone and Bradshaw is going on his 6th year with injury concerns. And lets not forget that the Giants had the worst rushing game last season.
    [/quote]I'll accept your stats to be true but they ignore the primary role that the OL plays in the success of the running game. If I could get a top 10 OL with a 12 year NFL life expectancy or a top 10 rb with a 5 year NFL life expectancy I'd take the OL all the time and put a mid level RB behind him on the cheap.
    No one remembers who came in second.

The Giants believe they have a superstar RB and looking at Wilson's rushing stats, speed, highlight footage and even personality, I think they made the right choice.

5 great years from a RB has more impact than 10 years from a great o-line player..... RB is more important position than one o-line player.

[quote user="bflo23"]The Giants believe they have a superstar RB and looking at Wilson's rushing stats, speed, highlight footage and even personality, I think they made the right choice.

5 great years from a RB has more impact than 10 years from a great o-line player..... RB is more important position than one o-line player.
    [/quote]I am thrilled with the pick and a player like him gives you that extra big play dimension however our 2007 team had Ward, Bradhaw and Jacobs none of whom would be considered top 10. Our 2011 situation was even more glaring in terms of mediocrity at RB with Ware and yet we won 2 Super Bowls. I like that model.

Here is another way to look at it. In a salary capped environment, which teams in the last 10 years have ridden the coat tails of a lavishly and disproportionately paid top 10 running back to the Super Bowl. Adrian Peterson? nope! Certainly the Packers and Steelers and Giants and Patriots and Saints and Colts didn't have that guy. It is a beauty contest for sure but in the end a luxury that the salary cap doesn't reward sufficiently given how quickly a RB can be lost to injury.

[quote user="jomo"]
    I am thrilled with the pick and a player like him gives you that extra big play dimension however our 2007 team had Ward, Bradhaw and Jacobs none of whom would be considered top 10. Our 2011 situation was even more glaring in terms of mediocrity at RB with Ware and yet we won 2 Super Bowls. I like that model.

Here is another way to look at it. In a salary capped environment, which teams in the last 10 years have ridden the coat tails of a grossly paid running back to the Super Bowl. Adrian Peterson? Certainly the Packers and Steelers and Giants and Patriots and Saints and Colts didn't have that guy. It is a beauty contest for sure but in the end a luxury that the salary cap doesn't reward sufficiently given how quickly a RB can be lost to injury.[/quote]

It will always be a QB driven league and they will be the main ones delivering and winning the championship. However if you put a championship QB like Eli Manning with a star RB and you have something really special here. You could even see 2 more championships.

People point out Adrian Peterson..... His QB is Christain Ponder who throws 160 yards per game and has 13 TDs/13 INTs. And you pointed out the teams with Rodgers, Big Ben, Eli, Brees and Peyton Manning.

[quote user="bflo23"][quote user="jomo"]
    I am thrilled with the pick and a player like him gives you that extra big play dimension however our 2007 team had Ward, Bradhaw and Jacobs none of whom would be considered top 10. Our 2011 situation was even more glaring in terms of mediocrity at RB with Ware and yet we won 2 Super Bowls. I like that model.

Here is another way to look at it. In a salary capped environment, which teams in the last 10 years have ridden the coat tails of a grossly paid running back to the Super Bowl. Adrian Peterson? Certainly the Packers and Steelers and Giants and Patriots and Saints and Colts didn't have that guy. It is a beauty contest for sure but in the end a luxury that the salary cap doesn't reward sufficiently given how quickly a RB can be lost to injury.[/quote]

It will always be a QB driven league and they will be the main ones delivering and winning the championship. However if you put a championship QB like Eli Manning with a star RB and you have something really special here. You could even see 2 more championships.

People point out Adrian Peterson..... His QB is Christain Ponder who throws 160 yards per game and has 13 TDs/13 INTs. And you pointed out the teams with Rodgers, Big Ben, Eli, Brees and Peyton Manning.
    [/quote]There's no doubt that you will be devastating. The issue is that you won't have enough money to pay the QB and RB and still be able to have difference makers elsewhere like Tuck and Osi and JPP and Rolle etc. RB is one of the areas where you can save money to deploy elsewhere without hurting your team. Compare having a Derick Ward calibre player at RB and JPP versus having Adrian Peterson calibre player and Dave Tollefson. Whicn would you take? You might want Peterson and JPP but you can't make the numbers work within the cap so you have to choose one way in the real world not a made up one where we can have pro bowl players at every position.

[quote user="jomo"]
    There's no doubt that you will be devastating. The issue is that you won't have enough money to pay the QB and RB and still be able to have difference makers elsewhere like Tuck and Osi and JPP and Rolle etc. RB is one of the areas where you can save money to deploy elsewhere without hurting your team. Compare having a Derick Ward calibre player at RB and JPP versus having Adrian Peterson calibre player and Dave Tollefson. Whicn would you take? You might want Peterson and JPP but you can't make the numbers work within the cap so you have to choose one way in the real world not a made up one where we can have pro bowl players at every position.[/quote]

Rolle makes over $7 million per year and I am not sure you can call him a difference maker. He is pretty good but he is overpaid and I can't call him a star. He can be replaced and you can have enough money for a superstar RB.

There's no doubt that you will be devastating. The issue is that you won't have enough money to pay the QB and RB and still be able to have difference makers elsewhere like Tuck and Osi and JPP and Rolle etc. RB is one of the areas where you can save money to deploy elsewhere without hurting your team. Compare having a Derick Ward calibre player at RB and JPP versus having Adrian Peterson calibre player and Dave Tollefson. Whicn would you take? You might want Peterson and JPP but you can't make the numbers work within the cap so you have to choose one way in the real world not a made up one where we can have pro bowl players at every position.[/quote]

Rolle makes over $7 million per year and I am not sure you can call him a difference maker. He is pretty good but he is overpaid and I can't call him a star. He can be replaced and you can have enough money for a superstar RB.
    [/quote]You've aparently forgotten CC Brown lol. The reason that no SB winners over the past 10 years have had a top 10 back to go along with a top 5 QB is all about money. I think the only way to pull it off is to get a mid round back who erupts on the scene as a top 10 back quickly so you get 4 years without paying the piper. After thatthere won't be enough money left after the QB and RB to put a championship team on the field. It's not what any of us would like but in the end, it is simply about making best use of the money available inside the cap.

[quote user="jomo"][quote user="bflo23"][quote user="jomo"]

[/quote]You've aparently forgotten CC Brown lol. The reason that no SB winners over the past 10 years have had a top 10 back to go along with a top 5 QB is all about money. I think the only way to pull it off is to get a mid round back who erupts on the scene as a top 10 back quickly so you get 4 years without paying the piper. After thatthere won't be enough money left after the QB and RB to put a championship team on the field. It's not what any of us would like but in the end, it is simply about making best use of the money available inside the cap.[/quote]

Is the rookie scale so high that our first round #32 pick can't function pretty much the way you described for the mid-round back? I agree that we don't need to cripple ourselves in the cap. But will the cost before we have to re-up Wilson's contract be that much more than it would be for a high-performing mid-rounder? An honest question - I really don't know the answer.

[/quote]

How quickly people forget that Rolle played out of position most of the time, and lead the team in tackles(both solo and assisted). He also had 2 picks, 2 less than KP. Do youexpect Rolle to cover the entire field by himself? Also, most NFL teams are pass heavy now a days compared to the run, which makes the RB less valuable while in turn increasing the value of safeties. My point is that you don't invest as much in the RB as in the Safety position because of how the game has evolved thus far.