+ Reply to Thread
    Bench Player

Wilson's Real 40 time

I found this Wilson interview which sheds some light on why his draft times were not flashy - he was recovering from a staph infection and was hospitalized!

"Steve Wyremski (SW): Howís everything going? How do you feel after blowing up the combine?

David Wilson (DW): I was surprised I performed as well as I did. Not because of my athletic ability, but because I only trained like a week and a half because I was hospitalized.

SW: Really? You were in the hospital? What were you dealing with there?

DW: Mrsa [staff infection that does not respond to antibiotics].

SW: Really? Wow.

DW: Yeah, it had me down for a while. I couldnít even walk, so I trained two weeks and went to the combine. Thatís part of the reason why my 40 wasnít as fast as I wanted it to be.

SW: Yeah, I was going to ask you about that. I mean, 4.49 is still pretty impressive, but with track in your background a lot of guys thought youíd run a little faster. So you attribute that to your time in the hospital?

DW: Yeah, because I hadnít run a time like that since like 10th grade.

SW: So are you going to run at your pro day then next week?

DW: Yeah, most definitely.

SW: What time can we expect at your pro day as compared to what you ran [at the combine]? What type of time were you running prior to the combine and when you were hospitalized?

DW: I was running 80% and I was running 4.34. I expect to definitely be in the low 4.3ís, but Iím aiming for 4.2 something."

Wow - 4.25 would be realy blazing - like Dion Sanders! Run some Scott and Wilson at defenses all afternoon and see who can keep up. That should help not only last season's anemic rushing game but also open up the passing game. I also noticed that Wilson was "Second Team All-American" which tells me that he is the second-best back in the country. Perhaps he fell to third back drafted for being 5'-10" but his 5.9 YPC ave. is anything but small. He also led the country in yards after contact - again, "not small"! Welcome to The Super Bowl Champions, David - Your're gonna like it here.

Re: Wilson's Real 40 time

Wow a player says he can run faster than he actually did ?? Shocking.

Every reputable analyst has called him a complimentary back that can't carry the ball 25 times a game. That is poor value for round 1.

[quote user="BlueBlooded1979"]Wow a player says he can run faster than he actually did ?? Shocking.

Every reputable analyst has called him a complimentary back that can't carry the ball 25 times a game. That is poor value for round 1.[/quote]

I didn't know reputable analyst's can predict the future?. They said the same thing about Ray Rice and we all see how that turned out. He is now an every down back and one of the best in the NFL.

You can't believe everything a analyst says know matter how reputable. It's all just opinion and speculation. The only real way to tell what kind of player he will be in the NFL is to see how he plays in the NFL. There is know other way to determine what he will do or be.

supposedly he was timed on campus at 4.29.

Not shocking, hand times can be off a bit.

He does not play on the field like a sub 4.3 guy. Id say, he plays to around a 4.4 flat type of speed. Never really saw him get to the point where he was just gliding on the field, which is what those sub 4.3 guys look like.

[quote user="slipknottin"]supposedly he was timed on campus at 4.29.

Not shocking, hand times can be off a bit.

He does not play on the field like a sub 4.3 guy. Id say, he plays to around a 4.4 flat type of speed. Never really saw him get to the point where he was just gliding on the field, which is what those sub 4.3 guys look like.[/quote]

Totally agree.

But in comparison that's about the speed that Tiki played at (AB is closer to a 4.5 guy if that).

Kid's fast enough for what he does.
    I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

[quote user="BlueBlooded1979"]Wow a player says he can run faster than he actually did ?? Shocking.

Every reputable analyst has called him a complimentary back that can't carry the ball 25 times a game. That is poor value for round 1.[/quote]

They said the same thing about Chris Johnson and Arian Foster, so WTF is your point?
    Close or you hit the bricks

[quote user="GiantSteps13"][quote user="BlueBlooded1979"]Wow a player says he can run faster than he actually did ?? Shocking.

I didn't know reputable analyst's can predict the future?. They said the same thing about Ray Rice and we all see how that turned out. He is now an every down back and one of the best in the NFL.[/quote]

Exactly. Seriously, people are coming up with every excuse imaginable for why they don't like this pick

I wonder what his speed will be in Madden.......LOL