+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Matt McCants, OT 6th rd

Re: Matt McCants, OT 6th rd

[quote user="nycsportzfan"][quote user="nevada11"][quote user="BlueSanta"]3rd longest arms of any Oline prospect in this draft.

[/quote] nice but still so raw[/quote] He was a 6th rd pick.. THats where u take the Raw kids.. THis kid was actually perdicted at one time to go in RD 3 by some.. We took a Raw TE who didn't produce in RD 4, and u were happy, but now we get a Project in RD 6 whos played pretty well in his league, and hes 'so raw"?[/quote]

Jaquian Williams was a "raw" 6th round pick last year.

NYC is right, this is where you get those "raw" upside guys. What this kid lacks are the things someone can potentially learn and develop(technique and bulk), what he has are the things you cant teach(size, athleticism and arm length.)

[quote user="Redeyejedi"]

I like Mccants has LT potiental. Tried to find games for him to cut up as i only saw 2 live games of him. This is all I got

Matt Mccants vs Mississippi State 2010

[/quote]

Thanks for the film. It looked like at varying times, he either completely had his way vs. the opposition, or just made really bad mental mistakes. Needs a good deal of coaching IMHO.

He looked particularly bad on some of those screens.

But in total, I'd say he's a guy to get excited about. Like the pick!! Wouldn't be surprised if he lands at RT at some point.
    We need our coaches to assign playing time based on something other than player salary.

All-Pro

Squat is more important than bench

[quote user="myles2424"][quote user="T-Murda84"]LOL only 17 bench press reps!!! I did more than that my junior year in high school. We wont make it pass cut day.[/quote]
    I'm 6'4 235 w/ long arms & consistenly put up 225 20-23 times every time I do chest/tris....

I don't understand how these 300+lbs guys come to the combine doing anything less than 25[/quote]

you put up 225 30 times without rest.....either you are lying or you are on the special sauce

considering the world record is 315 40 times.

[quote user="ibbill"]2012 NFL Draft Prospect Scouting Report:
    Matt McCants, OT, UAB
    Matt McCants is one of the top mid-major prospects hailing out of the University of Alabama-Birmingham. As a member of the Blazers, he's now a three-year starter at left tackle and earned All-Conference USA first-team last season.

McCants has an elite frame for an offensive tackle with very long arms and above average footwork. He is not completely filled out and is a couple years away from reaching his full girth. His great hand-eye coordination gives him a great punch while sliding out into pass protection. McCants has great range in establishing an edge or if asked to block on the second level. For a man his size, he moves tremendously well.

When he caught out of position, he needs to learn to stay disciplined through his techniques and keep his natural bend. That said, NFL scouts are going to be all over this young man when they see him in person during pro days and the NFL combine.

McCants didn't do himself any favors by only having 17 bench press reps to go along with an average combine performance.[/quote]

Very raw and way under-strengthed for the NFL (one of the reasons Mike Adams and Jonathan Martin slipped).

He's a multi-year project at best I'm thinking.
    I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

[quote user="Kruunch"]Very raw and way under-strengthed for the NFL (one of the reasons Mike Adams and Jonathan Martin slipped).

He's a multi-year project at best I'm thinking.[/quote]

Agreed

The posters above (bluesanta, sportzfan) made it sound like I was insulting him by calling him raw or whatever silly way they interpreted my post

He looks like a nice player but its going to take some time.

[quote user="Kruunch"][quote user="ibbill"]2012 NFL Draft Prospect Scouting Report: Matt McCants, OT, UAB Matt McCants is one of the top mid-major prospects hailing out of the University of Alabama-Birmingham. As a member of the Blazers, he's now a three-year starter at left tackle and earned All-Conference USA first-team last season. McCants has an elite frame for an offensive tackle with very long arms and above average footwork. He is not completely filled out and is a couple years away from reaching his full girth. His great hand-eye coordination gives him a great punch while sliding out into pass protection. McCants has great range in establishing an edge or if asked to block on the second level. For a man his size, he moves tremendously well. When he caught out of position, he needs to learn to stay disciplined through his techniques and keep his natural bend. That said, NFL scouts are going to be all over this young man when they see him in person during pro days and the NFL combine. McCants didn't do himself any favors by only having 17 bench press reps to go along with an average combine performance.[/quote] Very raw and way under-strengthed for the NFL (one of the reasons Mike Adams and Jonathan Martin slipped). He's a multi-year project at best I'm thinking.[/quote] i think the easiest thing to get from the NFL, is stronger... Your talking top strength and conditioning coaches.. All he needs is strength and technique, both things i think he'll get in the NFL.. ALso, he was a 6th rd pick, where u take gambles on kids like this..

I'm not sure if I'd say its easy to get stronger tho. It took beatty two years to bulk up

then again maybe beatty isnt the hardest working guy in the world

Rather take the chance on McCants than drafting Martin or Sanders in the early rounds.

[quote user="giants-_-"][quote user="myles2424"][quote user="T-Murda84"]LOL only 17 bench press reps!!! I did more than that my junior year in high school. We wont make it pass cut day.[/quote]
    I'm 6'4 235 w/ long arms & consistenly put up 225 20-23 times every time I do chest/tris....

I don't understand how these 300+lbs guys come to the combine doing anything less than 25[/quote]

you put up 225 30 times without rest.....either you are lying or you are on the special sauce

considering the world record is 315 40 times.
    [/quote] I clearly said 20-23 times, not 30.....and if that's such a big deal to you where you'd assume I'm lying then I just feel sorry for you & your bird chest.....

+ Reply to Thread