+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Matt McCants, OT 6th rd

Re: Matt McCants, OT 6th rd

[quote user="nycsportzfan"][quote user="Kruunch"][quote user="ibbill"]2012 NFL Draft Prospect Scouting Report: Matt McCants, OT, UAB Matt McCants is one of the top mid-major prospects hailing out of the University of Alabama-Birmingham. As a member of the Blazers, he's now a three-year starter at left tackle and earned All-Conference USA first-team last season. McCants has an elite frame for an offensive tackle with very long arms and above average footwork. He is not completely filled out and is a couple years away from reaching his full girth. His great hand-eye coordination gives him a great punch while sliding out into pass protection. McCants has great range in establishing an edge or if asked to block on the second level. For a man his size, he moves tremendously well. When he caught out of position, he needs to learn to stay disciplined through his techniques and keep his natural bend. That said, NFL scouts are going to be all over this young man when they see him in person during pro days and the NFL combine. McCants didn't do himself any favors by only having 17 bench press reps to go along with an average combine performance.[/quote] Very raw and way under-strengthed for the NFL (one of the reasons Mike Adams and Jonathan Martin slipped). He's a multi-year project at best I'm thinking.[/quote] i think the easiest thing to get from the NFL, is stronger... Your talking top strength and conditioning coaches.. All he needs is strength and technique, both things i think he'll get in the NFL.. ALso, he was* a 6th rd pick, where u take gambles on kids like this..[/quote]

I agree ... he has the perfect frame and what he's missing he can get on a pro team if works dilligently at it.

Between him, Mosely and Brewer, one of them (if not a couple or all three) should shake out nicely as a starting RT (eventually) and LT depth (and potential starter down the road depending on what happens with Beatty).
    I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

Or ... he'll mature on a different team

Hes on the practice squad. He is still really raw. Has the tools to be a LT one day.

Quote Originally Posted by Kruunch View Post
    [quote user="nycsportzfan"][quote user="Kruunch"][quote user="ibbill"]2012 NFL Draft Prospect Scouting Report: Matt McCants, OT, UAB Matt McCants is one of the top mid-major prospects hailing out of the University of Alabama-Birmingham. As a member of the Blazers, he's now a three-year starter at left tackle and earned All-Conference USA first-team last season. McCants has an elite frame for an offensive tackle with very long arms and above average footwork. He is not completely filled out and is a couple years away from reaching his full girth. His great hand-eye coordination gives him a great punch while sliding out into pass protection. McCants has great range in establishing an edge or if asked to block on the second level. For a man his size, he moves tremendously well. When he caught out of position, he needs to learn to stay disciplined through his techniques and keep his natural bend. That said, NFL scouts are going to be all over this young man when they see him in person during pro days and the NFL combine. McCants didn't do himself any favors by only having 17 bench press reps to go along with an average combine performance.
    Very raw and way under-strengthed for the NFL (one of the reasons Mike Adams and Jonathan Martin slipped). He's a multi-year project at best I'm thinking.[/quote] i think the easiest thing to get from the NFL, is stronger... Your talking top strength and conditioning coaches.. All he needs is strength and technique, both things i think he'll get in the NFL.. ALso, he was* a 6th rd pick, where u take gambles on kids like this..[/quote]

I agree ... he has the perfect frame and what he's missing he can get on a pro team if works dilligently at it.

Between him, Mosely and Brewer, one of them (if not a couple or all three) should shake out nicely as a starting RT (eventually) and LT depth (and potential starter down the road depending on what happens with Beatty).[/QUOTE]Mccants has physical skill and the ability to protect the edge.He has an ideal LT frame. The problem is his lower body lacks strength. He cant anchor at all and will get bullied by physical players.
    I keep hearing how great the Giants Oline coaches are but im not seeing it. They havent developed a Lineman for this team in over 5 years. The guys they have liked in the draft havent performed in the NFL either. I think its time to scrap these high ceiling players and go with players that are smart and have a mean streak. The strategy is fine on defense when its mostly reactionary . On offense u want technically sound players

I tend to agree.

+ Reply to Thread