+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Starter

# 1's Wilson vs Martin-enough already!

Reese, Tom C said we had Wilson as # 2, which for most of the spring, till combines he was, both have strengths & weaknesses, ergo pick 31 & 32, Sporting News comments Wilson-"Has excellent acceleration and speed to get to the corner"....Martin-"lacks the elite boost and speed to turn the corner". Personally speaking, I was sick of The Giants trying to run end arounds with Jacobs, having it look like slow motion ferry boat race & going no where, Bradshaw was 50/50, Giants like this play & wanted someone who could execute it!. WE will do fine with how we plan to utilize Wilson, I'm sure TB has a plan in their offense how THEY envision best using Martin. I really don't believe we got Bamboozeled on this pick, I believe Reese & Tom C as #2 & to get the best out of a fine pick, Dave Wilson

Veteran

Re: # 1's Wilson vs Martin-enough already!

Reese and Co. were very quiet about Wilson. I believe they had him rated higher than Martin. Reese admits getting lucky with Cruz, he seem honest after the fact. I believe him when he says they wanted Wilson. I think they did to Tampa Bay what they usually do to Philly. Kept it quiet about which RB they wanted and let TB jump them for the wrong guy.

Veteran

[quote user="Mohann"]Reese and Co. were very quiet about Wilson. I believe they had him rated higher than Martin. Reese admits getting lucky with Cruz, he seem honest after the fact. I believe him when he says they wanted Wilson. I think they did to Tampa Bay what they usually do to Philly. Kept it quiet about which RB they wanted and let TB jump them for the wrong guy.
    [/quote]

Rese also said he was shocked that Randle was available. Seems like Reese is very honest after the fact, but you never know.

Can't believe we were thinking about taking Randle in the first!

Veteran

[quote user="Mohann"]Reese and Co. were very quiet about Wilson. I believe they had him rated higher than Martin. Reese admits getting lucky with Cruz, he seem honest after the fact. I believe him when he says they wanted Wilson. I think they did to Tampa Bay what they usually do to Philly. Kept it quiet about which RB they wanted and let TB jump them for the wrong guy.
    [/quote]

Rese also said he was shocked that Randle was available. Seems like Reese is very honest after the fact, but you never know.

Can't believe we were thinking about taking Randle in the first!

It has been reported that Martin would have been their selection had Tampa not leap frogged and taken him first. That's why teams have draft boards that rank players. If all teams had to do was cherry pick the players they wanted to draft we wouldn't need a draft.

The GIANTS are excellent developers of talent. Wilson has talent and is the answer to the loss of Brandon Jacobs. He is said to be more like Tiki Barber than Jacobs and, if that's true, we won.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

[quote user="RoanokeFan"]It has been reported that Martin would have been their selection had Tampa not leap frogged and taken him first.* That's why teams have draft boards that rank players.*[/quote]

Then the report was wrong.

If Wilson was their #2 ranked back, then there is no scenario where they take Martin over Wilson

[quote user="slipknottin"][quote user="RoanokeFan"]It has been reported that Martin would have been their selection had Tampa not leap frogged and taken him first. That's why teams have draft boards that rank players.[/quote]

If Wilson was their #2 ranked back, then there is no scenario where they take Martin over Wilson[/quote]

Reports are often wrong
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

[quote user="slipknottin"][quote user="RoanokeFan"]It has been reported that Martin would have been their selection had Tampa not leap frogged and taken him first.* That's why teams have draft boards that rank players.*[/quote]

If Wilson was their #2 ranked back, then there is no scenario where they take Martin over Wilson[/quote]

Backing that up giants.com style...

http://www.giants.com/media-vault/vi...1-cd147cb3ca2f

Reeese said it himself. Wilson was the GIant's No. 2 RB on their draft board. (Trent Richardson was obviously No. 1, but impossible to get...)

To me it is not an issue. I was happy with getting either one. I actually thought that neither would be available, and was thinking about the later rounds for a RB. I was really happy with the pick.

[quote user="slipknottin"][quote user="RoanokeFan"]It has been reported that Martin would have been their selection had Tampa not leap frogged and taken him first.* That's why teams have draft boards that rank players.*[/quote]

Do we know Wilson was their #2 ranked back for certain, though?

I only ask because the one interview I saw with Reese was on YES with Papa, Toomer, and Banks and Reese said they had both Martin and Wilson very close but Wilson was the highest ranked player when they picked.

Now that can be interpreted a couple of ways, but now replace the name Martin with Richardson. It's not like we would have taken Wilson over Richardson if Richardson was available, but when we picked Wilson was the highest on the board, if you follow.

I'm by no means comparing any of those 3 backs, and I know they didn't rank Wilson or Martin close to Richardson, I'm just saying that after listening to Reese it sounded more like damage control after missing on the guy they truly wanted. To justify it they just point out that they didn't get someone ranked much lower than who they wanted.

It's kind of way to not shoot the kids confidence before even stepping on the field. "Well kid, we'd have preferred the other guy, but we settled for you cuz we couldn't have him. Now go suit up!" Not exactly a ringing endorsement. And def not something the fan base would want to hear.

Just my 2 cents though.