+ Reply to Thread

Future Roster availabilty question

I would love to see te Giants package some picks next year to strategically move up a few psns if needed to acquire players they covet, rather than allow other teams to jump ahead of us and take a player we may target.

I'm not saying that this happened this draft but I would hope the Giants would consider this option to get a player they truely covet rather than risking loosing the player.

Based upon our current roster, it appears that there may not be many posiitons available to make the roster, With that, would the Giants be better off packaging picks to trade up to acquire better prospective talent, (Quality vs Qty).

Re: Future Roster availabilty question

There's absolutely no reason to. This staff has been able to get quality in just about every round. No need to give away picks for no reason. As far as quantity...Sure, there are only so many spots. But the more guys you bring in, the more competition you create and the more options you have. Not only for the roster in the current year but PS guys that you can develop.

I like the patience of this staff and think it works very well. If any trading were to happen I'd like more picks, not less.

The biggest misunderstanding of the giants draft philosophy is that they covet players.

They giants do not go into the draft saying they need a specific player or players.

And as far as 7 guys not making the roster, completely disagree. Every year they lose more guys than they draft.

Bench Player

"The biggest misunderstanding of the giants draft philosophy is that they covet players.
    They giants do not go into the draft saying they need a specific player or players."

Are you forgetting the legendary Eli Draft? Where they COVETED Eli and gave up the farm to get him? While it may be rare, it does happen when they COVET a player.

All-Pro

well the only thing i will say is that you almost always overpay to move up, especially in the 1st round, so you really do have to covet a player to move up

i highly doubt we coveted Doug Martin

we probably coveted players that went in the top 16, but the price to jump that high would have been really high and since we had needs, we did not want to give most of our draft away

now if we have very few injuries and some guys that we don't know about surprise us and make the team and we don't lose too much through FA ... could we end up in a position where our roster is so solid, that we may want to pull out all the stops to get into the top 10? ... maybe ... but so many variables are involved and things change so quickly in the NFL

just look atthe last gamewe played (woot !), but 2 TEs down ... one probably headed for PUP, the other probably headed to his couch and further rehab, so we end up pretty much having to sign a FA TE and draft a TE