+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast

GIANTS' DE OSI UMENYIORA RIPS GM JERRY REESE, SAYING GM IS MAKING HIM LOOK LIKE A "GREEDY PIG"

GIANTS' DE OSI UMENYIORA RIPS GM JERRY REESE, SAYING GM IS MAKING HIM LOOK LIKE A "GREEDY PIG"

"The war between Osi Umenyiora and Jerry
    Reese
    is heating up again.

One day after the Giants’ GM insisted the team
    has offered Umenyiora a contract extension in each of the last two seasons, the
    unhappy defensive end fired back, saying Reese was distorting the truth to make
    him look like “a greedy pig.” In an email to the Daily News on Sunday, Umenyiora
    said the Giants’ offer last summer wasn’t actually an extension, and their offer
    this year wasn’t much of an offer at all. Umenyiora didn’t go as far as he did
    last spring, when he accused Reese of being a liar in a court affidavit, but his
    anger was still clear.
    “Last year I was offered incentives. This year they
    offered me in guaranteed money, HALF of what they just gave Kiwi guaranteed.
    HALF,” Umenyiora wrote. “I’m not making that up. Then Jerry tells the world they
    offered me an extension and I turned it down. And I look like a greedy pig for
    turning it down. Hilarious.”
    Mathias Kiwanuka
    recently got a three-year contract extension worth a total of $21.75 million
    that included an $8.5 million signing bonus and $10.95 million in guaranteed
    money. If Umenyiora really was offered “half” of that guaranteed money, it means
    the Giants were only willing to guarantee about $5.5 million for him.
    Clearly
    they knew that wouldn’t get it done. Umenyiora, who is scheduled to make $3.975
    million this year in the final year of a seven-year, $41.5 million extension he
    signed in 2005, is seeking a deal worth an average of $10 million per year and
    $15 million-$17 million in guaranteed money. For proof, in an interview on WFAN
    last week, he pointed to recent contracts signed by Eagles defensive end Trent Cole
    (four years, $48 million, $15 million guaranteed) and Colts defensive end Robert
    Mathis
    (four years, $36 million, $17 million guaranteed) as comparable
    deals.
    Last summer, after Umenyiora staged a one-day training camp holdout to
    protest his contract, the 30-year-old did turn down the offer of incentives tied
    to his sack numbers. He apparently got an offer of an actual extension recently,
    following the 12 ½ sacks in 13 games he had in the 2011 season.
    But the offer
    clearly wasn’t good enough to rebuild the bridge between Umenyiora and the team
    that was nearly torched last spring when, in a deposition as part of the NFL
    players’ antitrust suit against the league during the lockout, the defensive end
    accused Reese of lying to him. He claimed Reese reneged on a 2008 promise to
    “either renegotiate my current contract so that it would be equal to that of the
    top five defensive ends playing or (trade him) to a team that would do
    that.”
    According to a source close to the eight-year veteran, Umenyiora’s
    anger bubbled over again on Sunday when he heard Reese say, “Osi has been
    offered an extension two years in a row now.” Reese also said, “All options are
    open” with Umenyiora, including a trade.
    Whether Umenyiora now wants or will
    demand a trade is not clear, because he has decided to stop talking about this
    dispute in public. In his email to The News, he said “I will be going completely
    silent after I send you this because it’s obvious talking does nothing!” As for
    his specific plans, Umenyiora would only say “things will be very interesting,
    that’s for sure.”

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Re: GIANTS' DE OSI UMENYIORA RIPS GM JERRY REESE, SAYING GM IS MAKING HIM LOOK LIKE A "GREEDY PIG"

And so it begins.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

All-Pro

Re: GIANTS' DE OSI UMENYIORA RIPS GM JERRY REESE, SAYING GM IS MAKING HIM LOOK LIKE A "GREEDY PIG"

what a mess...thanks rf

[quote user="byron"]what a mess...thanks rf[/quote]

This type of tactic didn't end well for Shockey

Veteran

Great player

But I'm tired. I wish they would have traded him

sad part is that the situation does not bode well for Osi and his tactics .... see some reasons below

1. JPP emergence
    2. Tuck Leadership
    3. Kiwi Extension
    4. Osi Age
    5. Giants D-Line Depth

[quote user="Axels15"]Great player

But I'm tired. I wish they would have traded him[/quote]

It's never too late...

Veteran

Osi has no leverage whatsoever. He can holdout and lose money on a daily basis, he can come in and ride the bike, he can decide to not play next season. None of them will help him or his cause. Maybe if he would have kept his mouth shut from the beginning, he could play an entire 16 games, and he was open to contributing and doing whatever was asked of him without complaining he'd had received an offer like Kiwi.

His best bet is to play out of his mind his final year and look for a good deal as a FA.

[quote user="mommy2dylan"]sad part is that the situation does not bode well for Osi and his tactics .... see some reasons below

1. JPP emergence
    2. Tuck Leadership
    3. Kiwi Extension
    4. Osi Age
    5. Giants D-Line Depth[/quote]

6. Under contract for one more year

Veteran

[quote user="RoanokeFan"][quote user="Axels15"]Great player

But I'm tired. I wish they would have traded him[/quote]

It's never too late...
    [/quote]

That's both true and not true.

They can, but I'd be worried about the DEs that we have left.

Not that I don't think Tuck and JPP are amazing, because they are. But we'd be one injury away from a weak rotation, and even if we move Kiwi back, it would still be a little worrying for me.

It was actually why I was surprised they didn't draft one. Who takes over for Tolly?