+ Reply to Thread

Alright Linebackers..... Time to show your worth!

An area of concern and the Giants dont even draft a linebacker in the draft. Better yet, they only bring in one LB in the UDFA roster. This proves that Coughlin & Co. have a lot of faith and see a lot of potential in this group. They are young, but they are athletic and best of all SMART! Herzlich and Jones have top notch football IQ's and JWill is athletic as they come.

Pre-draft I was extremely nervous about this group, but will a nice mix of young talent and a core group of vets like Boley, Kiwi and Blackburn, I think the Giants LB's could be very good this year. Maybe not any Pro-Bowlers, but extremely productive as a group.
    "Hey, let me buy you a pack of gum. I'll show you how to chew it."

2014 Draft:
    Round 1 - Eric Ebron, TE - North Carolina
    Round 2 - David Yankey, OG - Stanford
    Round 3 - Allen Robinson, WR - Penn State
    Round 4 - Anthony Johnson, DT - LSU
    Round 5 - Rashaad Reynolds, CB - Oregon State
    Round 6 - Andrew Jackson, ILB - W. Kentucky
    Round 7 - ** Traded for Jon Beason **

Re: Alright Linebackers..... Time to show your worth!

I would pretty guarantee the front office snags another LB for quality depth during cuts. Remember our new scheme doesn't focus on linebacker play that much, however I would like to have a little more upgrade in the middle, thought for sure we would have grabbed a MLB in the 4-6 round. I hope herlzich comes on this year, that would be the best situation for us. I really think rivers is gonna prove himself this year. And boley and Williams will get better as another year together and in this system.. Big hopes for our core this season

Unless they were going to take an instant rookie starter type LBer at the top of the draft, it would have made no sense for the team to draft yet another mid-late round LBer project when they already have so many on the roster.

The team prides itself on developing its youngplayers, and at some point you have to see if they'll sink orswim out there.

We already know that we have two solid starters in Boley and Kiwi, and a nickle LBer inJ. Will.They're bettingthatbetween Rivers, Herlzlich and Jones they'll find a third starter for the MLB spot. And even if not, they have Blackburn as an insurance policy so they know that they'll at least have steady vet that knows the defense in there.

I'm comfortable with the players we have there. The deck is stacked in its favor of succeeding. They don't have to be great, just good, for this defense to work.

All Hail The New York Giants!!

All-Pro

we've compiled quite a few LBs, so while i was a little surprised we didn't add another ... i wasn't shocked, especially considering we added Rivers prior to the draft

i have a lot of confidence in Boley and Kiwi and as somebody else pointed out .... we spent like 60% of our defensive plays in a Nickel type package

J. Williams did a good job as a rookie coming on at LB on likely passing downs

then you throw in Rivers, Blackburn and Herzlich

and finally you have some talented, but unproven options

i would put O-line, RB and TEahead of LB as areas that could become a concern

[quote user="Shockeyitus"]An area of concern and the Giants dont even draft a linebacker in the draft. Better yet, they only bring in one LB in the UDFA roster. This proves that Coughlin & Co. have a lot of faith and see a lot of potential in this group. They are young, but they are athletic and best of all SMART! Herzlich and Jones have top notch football IQ's and JWill is athletic as they come.

Pre-draft I was extremely nervous about this group, but will a nice mix of young talent and a core group of vets like Boley, Kiwi and Blackburn, I think the Giants LB's could be very good this year. Maybe not any Pro-Bowlers, but extremely productive as a group.[/quote]

I agree.

We had our starters and depth at each of the LB positions so no reason to draft one especially.

I think we'll be fine there.
    I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)