+ Reply to Thread

NEWS, NOTES, RUMORS, AND GOSSIP: MONDAY, APRIL 30, 2012 - 12:51 P.M.

HERE NOW THE NEWS

NEWS
    ARTICLES ABOUT THE NEW YORK FOOTBALL GIANTS ARE POSTED DAILY AND
    UPDATES ARE ADDED THROUGHOUT THE DAY. GENERAL SPORTS NEWS LINKS ARE
    ALSO INCLUDED.

Cobravision

NEWARK STAR LEDGER

GIANTS' AHMAD BRADSHAW VOWS TO MAKE FIRST ROUND PICK DAVID WILSON HIS "PROJECT"

"It's amazing how quickly the circle of life spins in the NFL.

Seven years ago, Tiki Barber took Brandon Jacobs under his wing in the Giants' backfield. Soon thereafter, Jacobs
    became the elder statesman guiding Ahmad Bradshaw. And now, with Jacobs gone to
    the San Franscisco 49ers, Bradshaw will become the instructor for David
    Wilson, the Giants' first-round pick in this year's NFL Draft

"I plan on using him as my project," Bradshaw said today in quotes
    released by the team
    . “He’s a very talented running back and he’s from
    Virginia. Two Virginia guys in this running back corps is going to be dangerous.
    I expect to use him as my project to get him better, to get him smarter and just
    to mature him a little bit, just to help him understand the NFL."

Bradshaw, a former seventh-round pick, is entering his sixth NFL season. This
    one will be different for him, though, because of the absence of Jacobs. He's
    already said he
    plans to be more vocal and take on more of a leadership role
    . No sooner did
    he make that promise than the perfect subject to lead - Wilson - landed on the
    doorstep.

Bradshaw realizes Wilson has a lot to learn in the team's complex offense, so
    he plans to help him in that regard.

"As a Giant running back, it’s one of the toughest things,” Bradshaw said. "I
    don’t see a lot of guys coming in and being able to grasp all of the different
    things you can do as a running back. You just have so many pass protections, so
    many pass route terms, so many run terms. You have different terminology from
    when you’re in college or when you’re with another team. It’s just so much
    different terminology with us and then we have so many keywords and hidden
    phrases. Different teams won’t know exactly what you’re doing every game. It’s
    kind of tough.

"Like I say, when I came as a rookie my plan was to try to impress the
    coaches and learn that playbook. Once I was able to learn that playbook I was
    able to impress the coaches by going out there and using my God-gifted talents
    and go out there and do what I do best."

Arguably the most important aspect of that rundown Bradshaw gave was the
    pass- protection part.

"If you can’t protect that quarterback, you can’t get out there," he said.
    "That’s how we look at it now. We’ve had a lot of rookies and a lot of young
    guys come through here. We don’t even let them, in practice, get behind Eli
    (Manning). When you’re behind Eli you know that you’re getting better and you’re
    trusted."

There was no media access today, but the Giants provided those good quotes
    above and a few others.

WR Hakeem Nicks on his advice for second-round pick WR Rueben Randle: "All
    eyes are going to be on you so you just want to come in and try to do everything
    right. But in all likelihood you probably won’t. That’s just how your
    expectations have to be. ... (The first challenge is) grasping the whole idea of
    things and how we run things here, just making sure he’s accountable and able to
    take on everything that’s going to be thrown at him. It isn’t going to be a lot.
    We won’t throw too much at him, I’m sure, but just being a rookie, you know you
    have to come in and play the game the same way you’ve been playing it. Don’t put
    too much on yourself."

More advice from Nicks to Randle: "Once you get the playbook down, it’s
    concepts. Try not to learn just one position. Try to learn the whole offense and
    it will be better for you."

CB Terrell Thomas on third-round CB pick Jayron Hosley: "He’s facing the same
    opportunity that I had. When I came in there were two or three starters here
    that were in that spot. We’re looking for someone to come in and be young and
    energetic and help out and play special teams and learn to win from the best. I
    heard he’s a great player. I’m happy with the addition. We’re getting younger. I
    can’t wait to meet him and help him out."

As a refresher, these were the players we mentioned as Giants undrafted free
    agents on Saturday (they or their agents/schools claimed they signed): DE Matt
    Broha (Lousiana Tech), FB Joe Martinek (Rutgers), WR David Douglas (Arizona), WR
    Julian Talley (UMass and Winslow HS), DE Adewale Ojomo (Miami), S Jojo Nicolas
    (Miami) and S Janzen Jackson (McNeese State).

Art
    Stapleton over there at The Record
    mentioned OL Stephen Goodin
    (Nebraska-Kearney) and WR Damian Davis (Mary Hardin-Baylor). And Tom Rock from
    Newsday saw something on Twitter saying OL D'Angelo McCray (Memphis) signed.

We'll let you know when all of the signings are made official.

I can tell you GM Reese said on WFAN today he was surprised Martinek didn't
    get drafted. He also mentioned Jackson and said he will be read "the riot act"
    as a warning. Jackson has some red flags, as
    I outlined last week
    ."

NFL DRAFT: FOR GIANTS, JETS, POST-DRAFT GRADES PRESENT DIFFERENCE OF OPINION

"Perhaps at no time is prognostication more meaningless than just before,
    during and after the NFL Draft. Prospects who are destined for greatness are
    questioned by pundits; others, meanwhile, are feted before flaming out in the
    NFL. "Draft experts" rate teams' selections based on "needs," hypothesizing how
    a team might wedge a player into its scheme having never attended a practice or
    meeting.

With that in mind -- and illustrative of the point -- we present a sampling
    post-draft grades, varied as they are, beginning with a rather optimistic
    evaluation from The Star-Ledger.

The Star-Ledger

Jets:
    A-
    In the draft's first two rounds, the Jets may have found starters at
    defensive end and wide receiver come Week 1. Jets fans on NJ.com were surprised
    -- and some dismayed -- the team
    did not aim to add offensive line depth

Giants:
    A-
    David Wilson is lauded for his athletic abilities, while Reuben Randle is
    touted as a wide receiver who will be allowed to flourish in the pros much more
    than he did at LSU. Jayron Hosley is viewed as the pivot player, whose success
    or failure will mirror the success or failure of Jerry Reese's draft. NJ.com
    users were reluctant to rate the draft so soon, choosing
    to forestall an assessment
    to judge how the numerous "developmental" players
    the Giants selected.

ESPN.com

Jets: C
    Mel Kiper Jr., ESPN's draft guru, saddles the
    Jets with a "C" for two reasons. First, because the Jets opted for Quinton
    Coples instead of Melvin Ingram, whom Kiper tipped as the better player. Second,
    Kiper assesses Stephen Hill as a raw player, blindingly quick but lacking
    precision as a route runner. Linebacker Demario Davis is cited as a good value
    pick in the third round.

Giants: C+
    Kiper speculates the Giants wanted former
    Boise State running back Doug Martin over David Wilson, despite Reese's
    assertion that Wilson was the Giants' No. 2-rated running back (presumably,
    behind No. 3 overall pick Trent Richardson). Randle, Kiper says, lacks
    "explosiveness." Hosley lacks strength to muscle opponents, Kiper feels.
    Wilson's ability to have an effect will key the success of this crew.

SI.com

Jets: D+
    Sports Illustrated rates the Jets' draft as
    "more bad than good." Despite possible surprises with Hill and Jordan White at
    wide receiver, Coples is a "colossal roll of the dice" and the failure to
    address the offensive tackle position earns demerits.

Giants: B+
    Wilson is seen by SI as the riskiest of the
    Giants' picks -- if only because he might struggle to get on the field his
    rookie season. Randle, Hosley and offensive tackle Brandon Mosley are seen as
    "gems."

Yahoo.com

Jets:
    C-
    The Jets' below average grade is bestowed due to the Coples pick. Yahoo
    feels general manager Mike Tannenbaum should have learned from his 2008
    first-round pick (Vernon Gholston), picking a freakish athlete but a players
    whose passion for football is in question.

Giants:
    C+
    A barely above-average rating, but few poor choices are pointed out by
    Yahoo. Wilson is lauded, as is Randle. The Giants made "typical choices," with
    the reminder that young players tend to improve rapidly when they put on a blue
    jersey and helmet."

##

GIANTS HOT TOPIC: GRADE THE TEAM'S DRAFT

"The Giants added seven players to
    their roster in the 2012 NFL
    Draft

Unlike previous drafts, it seems GM Jerry Reese and the Giants were going
    after some needs: running
    back David Wilson
    from Virginia Tech and LSU wide
    receiver Rueben Randle
    were the top two picks, and third-round pick Jayron
    Hosley
    should help the depth at cornerback, which has some question
    marks.

The other Giants' picks were: tight end Adrien Robinson and offensive tackle
    Brandon Mosley in the fourth round; offensive tackle Matt McCants in Round 5;
    and defensive tackle Markus Kuhn in the seventh.

The
    Star-Ledger gave the Giants an A-
    , and now we want to know how you would
    grade the draft. Vote in the poll and then drop down to the comments section to
    talk about it."

NFL DRAFT 2012: NFC TEAM REPORT CARDS

Excerpt: "NFC EAST

GIANTS: A-

Wilson is a physical marvel, and Randle could easily be more productive
    as a pro than he ever was in college. Hosley’s a wild card.

PICK PLAYER POS COLLEGE

R1-32, David Wilson, RB, Virginia Tech

R2-31, Rueben Randle, WR, LSU

R3-31, Jayron Hosley, CB, Virginia Tech

R4-32, Adrien Robinson, TE, Cincinnati

R4-36, Brandon Mosley, OT, Auburn

R6-31, Matt McCants, OT, UAB

R7-32, Markus, Kuhn, DT, N.C. State" Read more...

GIANTS' OSI UMENYIORA SAYS HE'S NOT A "GREEDY PIG" FOR TURNING DOWN JERRY REESE'S CONTRACT OFFERS

"On Saturday, after the NFL Draft had been completed and Osi Umenyiora
    remained with the Giants, general manager
    Jerry Reese said the two-time Pro Bowl defensive end was
    offered a pair of contract extensions in the past year

Umenyiora said he was offered only one multi-year deal and that it was not a
    lucrative one.

"They offered an extension - guaranteeing half of what they just gave 'Kiwi'
    (Mathias Kiwanuka) guaranteed. So he is telling the truth," Umenyiora wrote in
    an email to The Star-Ledger, though the next line indicates that confirmation
    was wrought with sarcasm. "And I'm a greedy pig for turning down half of what
    they just gave 'Kiwi.' Lol."

Last week, Kiwanuka
    signed a contract extension
    that included $10.95 million in guaranteed
    money. Half of that would be $5.475 million.

While Reese claimed the Giants proposed an "extension" last year during
    training camp, Umenyiora indicated it was merely the offer of incentives on top
    of his current deal that was previously reported.

The standoff continues, and Umenyiora hasn't said what his next move will be.
    He did indicate he won't be complaining publicly, though.

"Anyway, I'm done talking about anything," he concluded, "because it does
    nothing apparently."

http://www.nj.com/giants/

NY DAILY NEWS

BRADSHAW READY TO WORK ON NEW RD "PROJECT"

"When Ahmad Bradshaw arrived in 2007 as a rookie running back with the Giants,
    Brandon Jacobs welcomed him and took him under his wing.

Now it’s
    Bradshaw’s turn to do the same for David Wilson, the Virginia Tech running back
    the Giants took in the first round of the NFL draft.

“I plan on using
    him as my project,” Bradshaw said on Monday. “He’s a very talented running back
    and he’s from Virginia. Two Virginia guys in this running back corps is going to
    be dangerous. I expect to use him as my project to get him better, to get him
    smarter and just to mature him a little bit, just to help him understand the
    NFL.”

Bradshaw, who lives about three hours away from Wilson during the
    offseason, is already handing out advice to the rookie. He said the first thing
    Wilson needs to do is learn how to block because “If you can’t protect that
    quarterback, you can’t get out there. That’s how we look at it
    now.”

That’s just one of the many things Wilson will have to learn, and
    Bradshaw knows the experience can be overwhelming. The Giants’ offensive
    playbook is thick and the plays, signals and assignments are
    complicated.

For a running back – especially one who figures to get a
    lot of work in the Giants’ two-back rotation – learning it all will be a lot of
    work.

“I don’t see a lot of guys coming in and being able to grasp all
    of the different things you can do as a running back,” Bradshaw said. “You just
    have so many pass protections, so many pass route terms, so many run terms. You
    have different terminology from when you’re in college. It’s kind of
    tough.

“Like I say, when I came as a rookie my plan was to try to
    impress the coaches and learn that playbook. Once I was able to learn that
    playbook I was able to impress the coaches by going out there and using my
    God-gifted talents and go out there and do what I do best.”

Nicks, Thomas welcome their new teammates,
    too

There was no media access to the Giants today, but the
    Giants PR staff sent out quotes from several players about the team’s new draft
    picks. The quotes included the above ones from Bradshaw on Wilson, WR Hakeem
    Nicks on second-round WR Reuben Randle, and CB Terrell Thomas on third-round CB
    Jayron Holsey.

Not surprisingly, all three players were very welcoming.
    And that’s not just because the PR staff would never put out negative quotes
    about their new players. It’s also because that’s the way the atmosphere around
    the Giants has become over the last decade. Veteran players often take rookies
    under their wings.

Anyway, here’s what the old Giants said about the new
    ones:

Nicks on Randle: “All eyes are going to be on you
    so you just want to come in and try to do everything right. But in all
    likelihood you probably won’t. That’s just how your expectations have to be.
    (The first challenge is) grasping the whole idea of things and how we run things
    here, just making sure he’s accountable and able to take on everything that’s
    going to be thrown at him. It isn’t going to be a lot. We won’t throw too much
    at him, I’m sure, but just being a rookie, you know you have to come in and play
    the game the same way you’ve been playing it. Don’t put too much on
    yourself.”

Thomas on Holsey: “He’s facing the same
    opportunity that I had. When I came in there were two or three starters here
    that were in that spot. We’re looking for someone to come in and be young and
    energetic and help out and play special teams and learn to win from the best. I
    heard he’s a great player. I’m happy with the addition. We’re getting younger. I
    can’t wait to meet him and help him out.

“I’ve never been shy to help
    someone, to give them advice or help them in the film room. I think he (Hosley)
    will make us better. If he takes my spot, good luck. I love competition. I was
    raised on it. It’s something Coach (Pete) Carroll taught us in college (at USC).
    It’s something I thrive on. It motivates me that someone is coming to take my
    spot. That’s what this league is all about. Every year, every week somebody can
    take your spot. It’s going to push me, it’s going to push Corey, it’s going to
    push Prince and every other DB on this team to get better. And hopefully, we can
    help him at the same time.”

Mr. Goff goes to Washington

LB Jonathan Goff,
    who missed most of last season with the Giants after tearing his ACL, signed a
    free-agent contract with the Washington Redskins on Monday.

That was
    hardly a surprise, considering the Giants long ago made the decision to move on.
    There had been some indications the Giants were trying to re-sign Goff before
    the free agency period began, but it never happened and he only drew lukewarm
    interest on the market from the Browns, Dolphins and Redskins. Considering he is
    young and has experience as a starter, it made me wonder if maybe his ACL isn’t
    fully healed.

Regardless, he’s gone now and the Giants seem poised to
    move Michael Boley to the middle or figure out another way to tinker with their
    linebacker corps."

##

GIANTS' DE OSI UMENYIORA RIPS GM JERRY REESE, SAYING GM IS MAKING HIM LOOK LIKE A "GREEDY PIG"

"The war between Osi Umenyiora and Jerry
    Reese
    is heating up again.

One day after the Giants’ GM insisted the team
    has offered Umenyiora a contract extension in each of the last two seasons, the
    unhappy defensive end fired back, saying Reese was distorting the truth to make
    him look like “a greedy pig.” In an email to the Daily News on Sunday, Umenyiora
    said the Giants’ offer last summer wasn’t actually an extension, and their offer
    this year wasn’t much of an offer at all. Umenyiora didn’t go as far as he did
    last spring, when he accused Reese of being a liar in a court affidavit, but his
    anger was still clear.
    “Last year I was offered incentives. This year they
    offered me in guaranteed money, HALF of what they just gave Kiwi guaranteed.
    HALF,” Umenyiora wrote. “I’m not making that up. Then Jerry tells the world they
    offered me an extension and I turned it down. And I look like a greedy pig for
    turning it down. Hilarious.”
    Mathias Kiwanuka
    recently got a three-year contract extension worth a total of $21.75 million
    that included an $8.5 million signing bonus and $10.95 million in guaranteed
    money. If Umenyiora really was offered “half” of that guaranteed money, it means
    the Giants were only willing to guarantee about $5.5 million for him.
    Clearly
    they knew that wouldn’t get it done. Umenyiora, who is scheduled to make $3.975
    million this year in the final year of a seven-year, $41.5 million extension he
    signed in 2005, is seeking a deal worth an average of $10 million per year and
    $15 million-$17 million in guaranteed money. For proof, in an interview on WFAN
    last week, he pointed to recent contracts signed by Eagles defensive end Trent Cole
    (four years, $48 million, $15 million guaranteed) and Colts defensive end Robert
    Mathis
    (four years, $36 million, $17 million guaranteed) as comparable
    deals.
    Last summer, after Umenyiora staged a one-day training camp holdout to
    protest his contract, the 30-year-old did turn down the offer of incentives tied
    to his sack numbers. He apparently got an offer of an actual extension recently,
    following the 12 ½ sacks in 13 games he had in the 2011 season.
    But the offer
    clearly wasn’t good enough to rebuild the bridge between Umenyiora and the team
    that was nearly torched last spring when, in a deposition as part of the NFL
    players’ antitrust suit against the league during the lockout, the defensive end
    accused Reese of lying to him. He claimed Reese reneged on a 2008 promise to
    “either renegotiate my current contract so that it would be equal to that of the
    top five defensive ends playing or (trade him) to a team that would do
    that.”
    According to a source close to the eight-year veteran, Umenyiora’s
    anger bubbled over again on Sunday when he heard Reese say, “Osi has been
    offered an extension two years in a row now.” Reese also said, “All options are
    open” with Umenyiora, including a trade.
    Whether Umenyiora now wants or will
    demand a trade is not clear, because he has decided to stop talking about this
    dispute in public. In his email to The News, he said “I will be going completely
    silent after I send you this because it’s obvious talking does nothing!” As for
    his specific plans, Umenyiora would only say “things will be very interesting,
    that’s for sure.”

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giant

NY POST

DRAFT PICK TO BE SCHOOLED BU GIANTS' TE COACH

"Sometimes too much can be read into a situation, but not in a situation like
    this. Not when it comes to the absolute faith the Giants have that Mike Pope,
    their venerable tight ends coach, can spin straw into gold when it comes to
    developing the players delivered onto his doorstep.

The newest Pope pupil is Adrien Robinson, an athletic tight end from
    Cincinnati taken by the Giants in the fourth round of the NFL Draft. This was
    such an out-of-the-box pick that several minutes after the selection, the Giants
    were still scurrying to dig up biographical information on Robinson. In three
    seasons in college, he caught a mere 29 passes, an afterthought in Cincinnati’s
    spread offense that featured a load of throwing, but not much to the tight
    end.

This pick came and went without much notice, until general manager Jerry
    Reese casually mentioned, “We think this guy is kind of a JPP of tight ends.’’
    Whoa. When anyone is mentioned in the same breath as Ja]son Pierre-Paul, the
    fearsome defensive end who in his second NFL season amassed 16 1/2 sacks, it
    demands an explanation.

Reese went on to recount Robinson’s “freakish athletic numbers’’ and marvel
    at his long arms, great speed and unrefined physical ability.

“When we got Jason we said, ‘This guy hasn’t scratched the surface,’ ’’ Reese
    said. “[Robinson] hasn’t scratched the surface yet. He has a chance to be really
    something, we think.’’

With that, Reese added, “We will get Mike Pope involved with this guy.’’

The Giants have such trust in Pope, they usually don’t expend high draft
    picks on tight ends — one exception being Jeremy Shockey in 2002. Pope did
    wonders with Kevin Boss and when it seemed entering last season that Boss’
    departure left the tight end position devoid of play-makers, Pope got his hands
    on Jake Ballard, and he turned into a revelation.

Next up for Pope: Adrien Robinson.

“It’s a big factor,’’ Giants coach Tom Coughlin said. “But to be honest with
    you, it’s also a factor out there because the college players all know about
    Mike Pope and the coaches in college know about Mike Pope. As a matter of fact,
    the people in professional football do as well. So when [a tight end] comes our
    way, chances are you’re going to hear comments about ‘Well, Mike Pope will coach
    that guy and he’ll be a football player.’ We’re hoping that can continue.’’

Robinson made a pre-draft visit to the Giants and said he spent more than an
    hour speaking with Pope, so the tutoring in some sense has already begun.

“I’m just happy to have the opportunity to play and learn from Coach Pope,’’
    Robinson said.

Two of Pope’s proteges, Ballard and Travis Beckum, suffered torn anterior
    cruciate ligaments in Super Bowl XLVI and following knee surgeries, their
    availability for the 2012 season is questionable. The Giants signed Martellus
    Bennett from the Cowboys in free agency and Bear Pascoe returns but there is an
    opening for Robinson, if he and Pope can fast-forward the learning process.

This will be Pope’s 30th consecutive year coaching in the NFL and his 22nd
    with the Giants, covering two separate stints (1983 to 1991 the first time
    around and 2000 to the present). So ingrained is Pope into the Giants’
    lifeblood, he has a grandson, Wellington, named after the Giants patriarch and
    late owner, Wellington Mara.

Robinson’s production was so meager, he wasn’t invited to the NFL Scouting
    Combine but blew the Giants away at his Pro Day, measuring 6-foot-4 and 264
    pounds, and running 4.51 and 4.58 in the 40-yard dash.

“We think he can develop,’’ Coughlin said. “We think with Mike Pope, just
    like a lot of people think, he can become the player that we hope that he will
    be.’’

OSI TALKS WITH GIANTS GETTING TENSE

"The ongoing contract unrest between Osi Umenyiora and the Giants is not going
    away and the situation, usually tense but manageable, may get more tense and
    less manageable in the days to come.

Umenyiora did not take kindly to Giants general manager Jerry Reese this past
    Saturday, saying, “Osi has been offered an extension two years in a row now’’ as
    if to imply the Giants are interested in a long-term commitment to their
    disgruntled defensive end and Umeniora’s demands are simply too high.

“Yes, they offered an extension this year,’’ Umenyiora wrote in an email to
    The Post. “Guaranteeing half of what [Mathias Kiwanuka] was guaranteed. So him
    telling you guys they offered an extension is technically the truth. And I’m
    very greedy for turning down half of what Kiwi just got. Lol."

Kiwanuka recently signed a three-year extension worth $21.75 million, with
    $10.95 million in guaranteed money. If Umenyiora is correct that the Giants’
    offer to him was for about $5 million in guaranteed money it is not close to
    what he is looking for.

Umenyiora believes market value for a pass-rusher of his pedigree is about
    $10 million per year, but the Giants have not come close to agreeing that is
    what he’s worth. Umenyiora is entering the final year of a seven-year deal worth
    $41.5 million. His salary for the 2012 season is $3.975 million. He’d rather be
    traded than play out his contract and it sounds as if he is willing to take more
    drastic steps to part ways with the Giants.

“I really haven’t made any definite plans yet,’’ Umenyiora wrote in the
    email. “I’m quite sure things will only get more interesting.’’

GIANTS COMPARE TE FROM DRAFT TO PIERRE-PAUL

"It was not difficult to detect a theme as the Giants on Saturday finished up
    their selections in the NFL Draft. Of their seven picks during the three-day
    draft, five of them were used to take offensive players.

“It just so happened some of the best guys were offensive guys this time,’’
    general manager Jerry Reese said.

The Giants had two picks in the fourth round and they continued a trend by
    selecting players to fill positions of need on their offense. They took Adrien
    Robinson, a tight end from Cincinnati, with the 127th overall pick, then
    selected Brandon Mosley, a big tackle from Auburn with the 131st overall
    pick.

A tight end was needed because the Giants lost two of them in Super Bowl
    XLVI, when Jake Ballard and Travis Beckum each went down with a torn ACL.
    Ballard may miss the entire 2012 season and Beckum could miss the first half of
    the season.

Robinson’s selection could be viewed as a reach; he is considered a
    pass-catching tight end but he had very little production in college. He had 29
    career repetitions and five touchdowns at Cincinnati, operating in an offense
    that did not feature the tight end at all. He had 12 catches for 183 yards and
    three touchdowns as a senior. He can be considered a developmental prospect, and
    the Giants feel comfortable handing unpolished players over to Mike Pope, one of
    the top tight ends coaches in the league. The Giants had Robinson in for a
    predraft visit and rated him higher than many other teams.

How high? Reese, noting Robinson’s long arms and athletic ability, called him
    “kind of the JPP of tight ends,’’ referring to defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul,
    who emerged last season as a Pro Bowl player.

“We like those kind of people,’’ Reese said.

Tom Coughlin said he believes Robinson has “untapped potential’’ but wouldn’t
    go far as to use Pierre-Paul as a comparison.

“I don’t know if [Robinson] does back flips, but he’s an athlete now,’’
    Coughlin said.

Mosley fills a need for depth at offensive tackle. He’s a 6-5, 318-pounder
    from Coffeyville Junior College (former Giants running back Brandon Jacobs also
    played there) who in two years at Auburn bulked up and moved from tight end into
    a starting role at tackle. He’s projected to be a right tackle based on his size
    and athletic ability but the Giants think he can move inside to guard and may
    have him try multiple positions as a rookie. Mosley was a member of Auburn’s
    2010 national championship team and in the past two seasons started 24 games at
    right tackle. The Giants last year also used a fourth-round pick on a right
    tackle prospect, James Brewer of Indiana, who spent his rookie season glued to
    the bench.

The Giants did not have a fifth-round pick; they traded it away to acquire
    linebacker Keith Rivers from the Bengals. In the sixth round, the Giants took
    another offensive tackle, Matt McCants of Alabama-Birmingham. Unlike Mosley,
    McCants is a left tackle prospect who needs to add bulk and strength. He came to
    football late, leaving the high school band as a tuba player in his senior year
    to put on a helmet and shoulder pads. He was an immediate starter at UAB and
    ended up starting 42 games at left tackle. According to the school notes, the
    Alabama-Birmingham offensive line allowed 18 sacks on 440 pass plays and McCants
    didn’t allow a one.

Again, Reese fell in love with the fact McCants has very long arms.

“Very interesting prospect for us,’’ Reese said, adding he believes “in a
    year or so’’ McCants will be able to challenge for a starting spot.

In the seventh round, the Giants took a chance on Markus Kuhn, a defensive
    tackle from North Carolina State who was born and raised in Germany and started
    one year in college.

“He’s fun to watch,’’ said Reese, who added Kuhn is “the Mitch Petrus of
    defensive tackles,’’ referring to the Giants aggressive young guard. “He’s like
    a buzzsaw in there.’’

http://www.nypost.com/sports/giants

HAS MODERN NFL OFFENSE CHANGED THE GAME OF FOOTBALL FOREVER?

"There’s the old adage: “Defense wins Championships.” Lately, one would beg to
    differ – especially those deep into NFL stats. Like it or not, the game has been
    changing.

Power running is still a part of game day; it’s just not a priority as much
    anymore. There’s another change: teams do use the run to hold onto the ball and
    gain time of possession, but it’s not what seemingly gets teams into the
    playoffs as of late.

Looking at stats from the last three years, the top ten overall rushing and
    passing offenses were viewed and compared to those of the teams that made the
    playoffs. Of the top ten rushing offenses, 43% of those moved on to the
    playoffs. Of the top ten passing offenses, a little over 63% advanced to the
    post-season. Out of all three years, the Lombardi winners all had top five
    passing attacks and little to no run game in the regular season.

Defense still matters somewhat in the regular season. The overall defenses of
    playoff-bound teams from the 2009, 2010 and 2011 (16-game regular season) were
    top ten almost 57%. Once it came time for the Super Bowl, only 33% were top ten.
    2010 was the only year that both teams (Green Bay and Pittsburgh) had top ten
    defenses. 2009 and 2011 were where the anomaly comes in. Neither team in the big
    game had impressive defensive statistics (2009: New Orleans and Indianapolis;
    2011: New England and New York).

This isn’t to say that defenses don’t step up and change once in the
    playoffs, it simply is fact that offenses -mainly the pass- is surpassing the
    run and pass defense in what was once the epitome of football.

Here’s where the evolution of the New York Football Giants has come to today. It’s no longer the
    smashmouth, slobber-knocker-type of gridiron play it was when Coach Bill
    Parcells
    came in and made other teams fear the run and, of course, the
    defense. The game has sped up and become more finesse. The battle is still in
    the trenches, but involves more than strength down there. It’s now also a battle
    of intellect more than ever. Defensive players are faster and have more skill
    technique up front, so the approach from the team trying to move the ball and
    score had to become one that relies heavily on the quarterback and trust.

It was easy years ago to ground and pound. The offensive line would shove
    opposing defenses back and pave the way for bruising running backs while adding
    in a second, faster scat-back that could “cut” on the defense once more men were
    pushed up to the line. Stacking more bodies up to that line of scrimmage is what
    drove offensive coordinators to realize that run first wasn’t going to work as
    well anymore. Run and shoot is more predominant now. Spreading out 11 players is
    harder to defend and where most playoff-caliber teams have been headed,
    including the New York
    Giants

Acquiring Eli
    Manning
    and bringing in Tom
    Coughlin
    set this Giants change in motion. Coughlin promoting QB Coach Kevin
    Gilbride
    and getting rid of then offensive coordinator John Hufnagel was the
    last piece needed to solidify what was to become this current high-powered
    offensive mold. The team was slowly built around Manning: protecting him, giving
    him a solid run game and eventually -here’s the big part- giving him young
    receivers to grow with him. Today, he leads the huge, powerful air force that
    has brought glory back to the Meadowlands.

Yeah, it’s not the Giants of decades ago, but last look at the calendar, its
    2012 and Big Blue are World Champions. Again."

##

NY GIANTS' ROOKIES BETTER READY THEMSELVES FOR A LESSON IN "ALL-IN"

"Most of the NFL world is
    post-2012 NFL
    Draft
    , trying to build up and/or reload for the upcoming season. The World
    Champion New York
    Giants have been here before.

Big Blue players re-convened at the Timex Performance Center recently for
    brief off-season workouts (as OTA’s have begun) and are already on the familiar
    road to a possible repeat. Soon, the new blue recruits (the 2012 Draft class and
    the UDFA’s) will join their Giants teammates for a lesson on 'All In.' While NFL Mini-Camps
    haven’t been held since 2010 due to the infamous lockout, the Giants will be
    fully prepared to host their rookies and get them quickly acclimated to how
    things roll with the Super Bowl Champs. Things will not be all social and fun
    for these kids.

Tom
    Coughlin
    is all about football. He takes it as seriously as the old-school guys
    Vince Lombardi and Tom Landry did. The first year players under him will quickly
    learn that – or sit.

There’s a continuum that will be had here, regardless of which players have
    moved on and who’s being welcomed aboard. The Giants have a legacy that they
    tutor to their players. The franchise remains true to itself in these lessons.
    Change happens, but it is unavoidable in today’s NFL and should be prepared for as much as possible –
    meaning that it shouldn’t be felt as a large impact to team.

General Manager Jerry Reese has known whose contracts would be expiring and
    who would (potentially) be walking away. The business side of football
    -the “ugly” side that most fans hate- is dealt with year-round. Reese and Marc Ross,
    their Director of College Scouting, are the ones to figure how to keep the
    continuity going. Which players/pieces fit the systems that are in place as well
    as which player personalities fit in mentality-wise for the New York Football
    Giants. Two Lombardi Trophies in less than five years isn’t coincidence or
    “luck”…

A huge facet of why this Giants team is built for the long haul is trust.
    Each part that’s in its place is trusted by its surrounding part. Co-Owner John Mara
    trusts Jerry Reese. Reese has faith in Head Coach Tom
    Coughlin
    to do his job, as TC has faith in Kevin
    Gilbride
    and Perry
    Fewell
    to get their respective jobs done. No one here is micro-managed by
    their superior. The same applies on-the-field. Instruction is given, but it’s on
    the individual player to carry out his assignment.

Granted, trust is earned, but how – by earning it. Excel at what you do and
    do it as one. Achieving greatness together is much more fulfilling than gaining
    it alone. This New York
    Giants team has already pulled onto the road to a new season. They may be in the
    process of still picking up some new passengers, but the vehicle and the driver
    haven’t changed. Most importantly, neither has the map."

http://www.giants101.com/

BIG BLUE VIEW

NY GIANTS' DRAFT PHILOSOPHY" BORING, BUT EFFECTIVE

"There were eight trades in the first round of the 2012 NFL Draft, and about a
    gazillion over the course of the next six rounds (gazillion is a good number to
    use when you can't find the real total). Anyway, the point is that all of that
    activity took place without your defending Super Bowl champion New
    York Giants
    moving a muscle.

The Giants sat in the spots the draft gave them and, as usual, came out of
    the now three-day affair looking as if they had done solid work. This is why the
    Giants have won two Super Bowls in four years and four in their history. It is
    why they always have a chance to be good, and why the 4-12 season is a rarity
    while being in contention is the norm.

The Giants have a plan, they stick to the plan, they don't panic over one
    player or position (this also applies to Osi Umenyiora
    and his contract whining). They trust the process, that no matter when they
    select their will be good players on the board who can help them, and they trust
    their scouts to identify them.

Are they wrong sometimes? Certainly. They are right, however, way more often
    than they are wrong.

New York Giants coach Tom Coughlin described the Giants rather boring, workman-like approach to the draft.

"I think we take a lot of pride in getting the proper grade on the player. A
    lot of pride in ranking the players properly and then stacking the board and
    believing that there is going to be a good player for us to pick by virtue of
    showing patience and not doing a lot of maneuvering," Coughlin said. "We don't
    do a lot of trading. We don't do a lot of maneuvering. We do have a number of
    calls that come into the room offering to maneuver, a lot of which are ‘Are you
    interested in?' Of course, as you know, to move substantially, particularly if
    you're going to move up substantially, is going to cost you some picks. So we
    believe that we'll have an opportunity to draft a good football player, whether
    you're talking third, fourth round or whether you're talking even later in the
    draft."

This is the way George Young, the general manager who lifted the Giants from
    their deepest, darkest period, did business. He sat there, let the draft come to
    him and took the best player he could whenever it was his turn. It's the way he
    trained Ernie Accorsi, and the way Accorsi trained Jerry Reese, the current
    general manager.

The Giants have occasionally pulled the trigger on deals, the draft day
    mega-deal for Eli Manning
    being the one that the franchise is currently built on, of course. As a general
    rule, though, teams wanting to jump all around the draft board would be better
    served to call someone else rather than wasting Reese's time.

The two times I can remember the Giants moving up in recent years were to
    grab wide receivers Sinorice Moss
    and Ramses
    Barden
    . It seems that Reese has learned his lesson from those moves. I would
    use the word 'failure,' but Barden is still on the roster so I won't. Or, did I
    just use it, anyway?

"We've moved up to get guys before and it hasn't worked out that great for
    us," Reese said. "We're a little bit leery of moving up and taking guys. We've
    done that in the past and I don't think our success has been very good."

If you want to think the Giants "lost" Boise State running back Doug Martin
    this year because they would not move up to get in front of Tampa Bay, which
    took Martin at No. 31, Reese is fine with that. He will take David Wilson,
    which he did, then go on WFAN and tell Mike Francesa the Giants would not have
    selected Martin, anyway.

Yes, the method is methodical. Yes, it's boring. Yes, it can lead to
    fingernail biting and head-scratching during the draft.

The results, though, show that the Giants are competitive almost every
    season. In the end, that's what counts."

UMENYIORA-REESE RELATIONSHIP: RECONCILIATION? WHAT RECONCILIATION?

"

Just when you thought that maybe, just maybe, there was a sliver of a chance
    that Osi Umenyiora
    and the New York Giants
    could mend their tattered relationship Umenyiora has left no doubt that the
    divide between himself and general manager Jerry Reese is as wide -- maybe wider
    -- than ever.

Mike linked to Umenyiora's comments this morning. Here is the money
    quote from Osi:

"Last year I was offered incentives. This year they offered me in guaranteed
    money, HALF of what they just gave Kiwi guaranteed. HALF," Umenyiora wrote. "I'm
    not making that up. Then Jerry tells the world they offered me an extension and
    I turned it down. And I look like a greedy pig for turning it down.
    Hilarious."

These remarks, of course, came on the heels of Reese saying some things over
    the weekend that sounded conciliatory to the general public. Here is what Reese
    said:

"All options are open with respect to that. Our first choice with respect to
    Osi is that he will play for the Giants and retire as a Giant. That is what we
    would like to happen. Osi has been offered an extension two years in a row now.
    So we would still like to make it work. Hopefully it will work out. But all of
    our options are always open."

Conciliatory and hopeful? On the surface they seem that way. To Umenyiora,
    however, they apparently sounded like fingernails on a blackboard.

As I wrote the other day I thought there was a chance the Giants
    would trade Umenyiora during the draft -- and we know Umenyiora thought the same
    thing. Considering that there obviously has not been a thaw in the
    Reese-Umenyiora relationship you still have to wonder if the talented, yet
    perennially unhappy defensive end will be a Giant when the 2012 season
    begins.

Reese might say he hopes Umenyiora will "retire as a Giant." It seems,
    though, like it will take divine intervention for that to happen.

##

GIANTS' 2012 DRAFT GRADES: SOLID MARKS FROM THE JUDGES

"Sunday I gave you Mel Kiper's take on how the New York Giants
    fared in the 2012 NFL Draft. Here are some of the NFL Draft grades and opinions
    from other draft analysts and NFL experts.

NFC
    East draft analysis - NFC East Blog - ESPN

Nobody in this division does
    the draft better than the Giants, and it'll be worth remembering that the wide
    receiver (LSU's Rueben Randle) they picked at the end of the second round was a
    player they considered taking at the end of the first. Randle is a dynamic
    talent who now gets a chance to develop behind brilliant and selfless starting
    wideouts Hakeem Nicks
    and Victor Cruz
    and with the help of quarterback Eli Manning, who
    has an outstanding record of getting the best out of his receiving targets.
    Randle could not have been drafted into a better spot for his own development,
    and he could potentially be an immediate asset for the Giants in the passing
    game, since he can play the outside spot vacated by free-agent defector Mario
    Manningham
    and allow Cruz to stay in the slot position from which he
    exploded onto the scene in 2011. The Giants managed combine need picks and value
    picks at almost every turn in this draft, and their second-rounder may turn out
    to be their biggest prize.

NFL
    Draft highlights brainpower gap between haves, have-nots - NFL - CBSSports.com -
    NFLDraftScout.com

Entering this draft the Patriots and
    Giants were the best teams in football. Leaving this draft, the Patriots and
    Giants are the best teams in football. They only got stronger. That's because
    they know what the hell they're doing. The Patriots' defense last season was
    like something from a sitcom. So what does Bill Belichick do? He drafts a
    quartet of defensive players in the first three rounds. Imagine if even half of
    them catch on. The Patriots went to a Super Bowl with no defense. What happens
    if they get one?

The Giants lose guard, er, runner Brandon
    Jacobs
    so they pick up back David Wilson.
    They lose Mario Manningham, and get wide receiver Rueben Randle from LSU. That's
    how you draft.

If there was a one percent in the NFL it would be these teams: Giants,
    Patriots, Packers, Steelers and Ravens. They stay
    at the top (mostly) because at times like this weekend, they make the smartest
    choices, and those choices have a positive impact for years.

Grading
    the Draft -- NFC Teams - CBSSports

New York Giants: A - ... Every
    year it seems the Giants find a falling star in the first round. They have done
    the same in 2012. Running back David Wilson wasn't widely projected as a
    first-round pick, but he registered more yards after contact than any other
    runner in the 2012 draft, including Trent
    Richardson
    . Considering the physicality of the NFC East division, that
    toughness should serve him well as a compliment to Ahmad
    Bradshaw

NFL draft -- The most impactful and intriguing picks in the NFC - Todd
    McShay

Impact pick: WR Rueben Randle (second) -- He's still
    developing as a route-runner and will never be dynamic after the catch, but
    Randle has great size and deceptive speed. He can be a good vertical threat and
    a nice complement to Hakeem Nicks and Victor Cruz. He needs to get stronger and
    work hard on the finer points of receiver play, but if Randle responds well to
    the environment created by head coach Tom Coughlin and QB Eli Manning, he will
    be a big-time weapon in the passing game.

Intriguing pick: OT Brandon
    Mosley
    (fourth)
    -- Mosley has only been an offensive tackle since
    signing with Auburn out of junior college in 2010, but he started 11 games that
    season during the Tigers' national title run and the arrow is pointing straight
    up. Mosley has good size, and the athleticism to have played tight end and
    defensive end in junior college. He's quick, has enormous hands to lock on to
    defenders, a powerful upper body and a nasty streak. There are some concerns
    about how quickly he can absorb an NFL playbook, but if he can push for a
    starting job in 2013, it would be a huge boost for a team with plenty of issues
    up front.

NFL
    draft grades: Sporting News

New York Giants (B-plus) Key picks: RB
    David Wilson, WR Rueben Randle. The Super Bowl champs don't have any glaring
    weakness, so they simply gave Eli Manning improvements over Brandon Jacobs and
    Mario Manningham.

2012 NFL Draft
    Grades – Sports Illustrated

Honestly, their worst pick might have been
    their first one: RB David Wilson (32) has playmaking ability, but he might
    struggle to make an impact in his
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

Re: NEWS, NOTES, RUMORS, AND GOSSIP: MONDAY, APRIL 30, 2012 - 12:51 P.M.

Oh boy, the media is going to have a field day with Reese and Osi's comments .
    Thanks RF !
    " Success is never final, but failure can be " B.P.

[quote user="G-Men Surg."]Oh boy, the media is going to have a field day with Reese and Osi's comments .
    Thanks RF ![/quote]

We can't even get to camp before all the drama amps up.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

The Osi and JR situation is going to get real ugly. Thanks for the news RF.

[quote user="nygsb42champs"]The Osi and JR situation is going to get real ugly. Thanks for the news RF.[/quote]
    [B]

# 80

Thanks for all you do, Roanoke.
    Cheers!

[quote user="fourth&forever"]Thanks for all you do, Roanoke.
    Cheers![/quote]

[B]

# 80

many thanks Roanoke! [Y]

something positive needs to happen with Osi in the next 6-8 weeks! we dont need this leading into camp etc!

[quote user="BigBlue1971"]

many thanks Roanoke! [Y]

something positive needs to happen with Osi in the next 6-8 weeks! we dont need this leading into camp etc!

[/quote]

Your lips to God's ears!

# 80