+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

"Bad Drafting" ?

Wilson rated 2nd or 3rd best back in this draft
    Bradshaw was taken in round 7 in 2007

Randall taken in 2nd round with a draft loaded with talented WR. He was called a real steal by those drafting experts

Steve Smith 2nd round in 2007 Manningham 3rd round in 2008

BTW Boss was also taken in the 5th round in 2007

I could go on like the picks in 2005: Webster 2nd round, Tuck 3rd , Jacobs 4th Terrel Thomas round 2 in 2008.

We're still waiting to see how the Prince and Scott will do

I don't think we've done too badly, in our drafting after all we got that guy JPP in the draft, who seems to be doing ok and found some guys like Cruz and Hynowski as UDFA.
    These rookies will be coached up and may actually help win some games !

Some guys out there would have thrown LT under the bus right after the draft. We all know some drafted players don't make it but this happens with every team.

Re: "Bad Drafting" ?

+1

what the problem is, is that some of us want the "big name sexy picks."
    what some people have not come to understand is that JR and Company draft by Need (holes to fill) and then BPA.

Every Pick they made filled a hole and/or need.

My guess is looking at our Div rivals, some of us feel like we lost out somehow.

But we were picking at 32 so ...

NFL Championships : 1927 1934 1938 1956 Super Bowl Champions: XXI XXV XLII XLVI

Veteran

The folks who spend countless hours and millions of dollars researching these players probably know more about this than we do.
    I trust them. RB in the first round? Surprising for this team but I trust them.
    They've done much better than the R Dayne and W Joseph years of yore.

[quote user="jints1964"]Wilson rated 2nd or 3rd best back in this draft
    Bradshaw was taken in round 7 in 2007

Randall taken in 2nd round with a draft loaded with talented WR. He was called a real steal by those drafting experts

Steve Smith 2nd round in 2007 Manningham 3rd round in 2008

BTW Boss was also taken in the 5th round in 2007

I could go on like the picks in 2005: Webster 2nd round, Tuck 3rd , Jacobs 4th Terrel Thomas round 2 in 2008.

We're still waiting to see how the Prince and Scott will do

I don't think we've done too badly, in our drafting after all we got that guy JPP in the draft, who seems to be doing ok and found some guys like Cruz and Hynowski as UDFA.
    These rookies will be coached up and may actually help win some games !

Some guys out there would have thrown LT under the bus right after the draft. We all know some drafted players don't make it but this happens with every team.
    [/quote]"Some guys out there would have thrown LT under the bus right after the draft?"

If ever there was universal acclaim for a draft pick it was with LT coming out of North Carolina. He hit the ground running in the NFL and delivered on the great promise.

As incompetent as the media is, no one, not anyone questioned his enormous talent or the brilliance of the pcik.

No one remembers who came in second.

Good point I certainly thought he was going to be a winner, but how about the fans who said he may not fit our current schemes or he's a pass rusher and may not play the run that well and let's not forget that he goes a little wild and doesn't follow the D plays as called but kinda goes his own way and he's not great in coverages.

Veteran

Good post.

It's a combination of drafting the right guy and/or being able to develop him. The Giants have done a good job with both, otherwise we wouldn't be one of the select few teams in the league that has won multiple superbowls during the past decade.

I get annoyed with the self proclaimed experts around here who act like they know what's best for the team when they have 0 involvement with the team internally.

[quote user="BeatYale"]I get annoyed with the self proclaimed experts around here who act like they know what's best for the team when they have 0 involvement with the team internally.[/quote]
    Reading a scouting magazine cover-to-cover and memorizing analysts' mock drafts is apparently all it takes to qualify as an "expert".

All-Pro

I feel the only regret we will have drafting Wilson in the first round, is that we passed up Courtney Upshaw. I could be wrong. Most teams passed on him because they said he was a tweener... I don't buy it. He was a star in Bama.

Other then that, I feel this draft was very solid. Randle and Hosley were steals IMO. Mosely could turn out to be a solid RT, but can also play LT and G. McCants, not sure about that one. Robinson could turn out to be a very solid TE. He looks like a great receiving threat, but scouts say he also can block very well. Very intreged to see what Pope can turn him into. And Kuhn, he is 25 and real raw. Hasnt played much so we shall see what they saw in the guy. Maybe he can turn into something.

People tend to mix up the notions of the a bad draft and the Giants just simply not going in the direction the fan in question wanted to go. It's funny because people will watch some college football games, look at measurables, watch the Combine, etc, and will deem themselves experts just because they have more draft knowledge than the average fan. The fact is, NFL teams have scouting teams that probably have already moved on from this draft, and are preparing for the next one. I don't think people realize how hard tea s work on the draft...and honestly, while a couple picks surprised me, I trust the Giants in the draft right now. They have done a great job, and I have no reason to believe that will change.

Since JR took over, we have been blessed with consistently good drafts. Accorsi, while a great GM blew picks for evry good one he did (Wheatly, Dayne, T. Lewis, etc)

Most pundits and experts will probably consider this our weakest draft since 2007. Surprisingly a lot of the experts have given us pretty glowing grades and remarks on this year's draft.

With that being, said I think our draft this year is deceptively strong.

David Wilson let the nation is yards after contact. He is dynamic, and I am not sure if you can really reach at 32 with a Top 5 RB. We rarely draft RBs this high anymore, and I trust in our scouts. After he adds another 5-10 pounds, this dude is going to be a monster in the mold of Tiki.

We got a Top 5 WR in Ruben Randle.

What can you say about Jayron? We definitely needed a CB, and CBs are at a premium. The dude is a ballhawk.

Then we had the luxury of drafting several projects with HUGE upside in Robinson, Mosley, and Kuhn. All of these guys are athletic and raw, but wiht our coaching, they have the potential to be good starters and/or significant contributors.

Robinson, in particular, is freakishly athletic and had Shockey-esque combine numbers. If he can put it together, he will be a nice blocking/pass catching TE for us.

We so much raw talent in this years draft, I truly think that we cannot evaluate it until 5 years time, after they've helped us win our 5th Lombardi trophy.