+ Reply to Thread

NEWS, NOTES, RUMORS, AND GOSSIP: TUESDAY, MAY 1, 2012 - 3:20 P.M.

HERE NOW THE NEWS

NEWS
    ARTICLES ABOUT THE NEW YORK FOOTBALL GIANTS ARE POSTED DAILY AND
    UPDATES ARE ADDED THROUGHOUT THE DAY. GENERAL SPORTS NEWS LINKS ARE
    ALSO INCLUDED.

Cobravision

NEWARK STAR LEDGER

REESE PUTS POSITIVE SPIN ON OSI SPAT

"It’s not personal, Jerry Reese insisted.
    It’s only business, no matter how ugly his feud with angry Osi
    Umenyiora
    gets.

That was the reaction by the Giants GM to essentially being called a liar by
    Umeyiora for the second offseason in a row. In an interview on ESPN Radio 98.7
    FM Tuesday, Reese dismissed the defensive end’s sharp words as “offseason
    chatter.”

That’s exactly what he called it last summer, too.

“I don’t carry grudges,” Reese insisted. “That’s the offseason. That’s part
    of the job. In the offseason there’s always some controversies about contracts.
    It’s never personal. I don’t think it’s personal with respect to players. It’s
    definitely not personal with respect to me. It’s just part of the business.”

It’s been a dirty business between Reese and Umenyiora, though, as the
    defensive end continues his years-long battle for a lucrative contract
    extension. After several years of threatening to hold out or even retire,
    Umenyiora began making his fight personal in 2011 when he swore in a court
    affidavit that Reese reneged on a promise to give him a new contract or to trade
    him.

He turned his sights on Reese again on Sunday, one day after the GM insisted
    that Umenyiora had twice rejected contract extension offers from the Giants. In
    an email to the Daily News, Umenyiora questioned Reese’s grasp of the facts,
    said the offers were insignificant, and said
    it was “hilarious” that Reese was making him “look like a greedy pig for turning
    it down."

Umenyiora also hinted at more battles to come. In fact, one source close to
    the angry end said he is contemplating skipping the Giants’ mandatory, full-team
    minicamp in mid-June and he may eventually demand a trade from the Giants.

Reese, as he did on Saturday, said “all of our options are open” with
    Umenyiora, but he reiterated he still hopes to find some way to make their
    disintegrating marriage work.

“The New York Giants, we’re a better football team with Osi Umenyiora on our
    team,” Reese said. “We respect him as a football player. So our goal is to have
    Osi play football for the New York Giants and retire as a Giant. That’s what
    we’d like to do first.

“But all of our options are open like I said before.”

Umenyiora said the Giants have offered him a contract extension, but he
    insisted they only offered about $5.5 million in guaranteed money — or about
    one-third of what he’s looking for, along with a multi-year deal that will pay
    him an average of more than $10 million per season. He is due to make $3.975
    million this season in the final year of a seven-year, $41 million contract
    extension he signed in 2005.

The next move appears to be Umenyiora’s, and he promised in his email that it
    could be “interesting.”

Reese, for his part, promised “We’ll get through this.” That may depend on
    what Umenyiora does, or says, next.

“It’s not a big problem for me to have guys say some things,” Reese said. “I
    think sometimes people say things that obviously they really don’t mean. But
    everybody is trying to make as much money as they can for themselves and their
    families. Everybody understands that. It’s not
    personal.”

##

REESE SAYS NOTHING PERSONAL WITH UMENYIORA OR ANY PLAYER

"On Monday, listeners sat through Mike Francesa's long interview with Jerry
    Reese on WFAN only to come away having heard zero questions about Osi Umenyiora,
    who claimed on Sunday night Reese and the Giants offered him half of the guarantees
    they gave Mathias Kiwanuka and were making
    him look like a "greedy pig."

Today, in an interview with Ryan Ruocco and Stephen A. Smith on 98.7 ESPN
    Radio, the subject of Umenyiora's situation finally came up. And while he wasn't
    asked about the specifics, such as the guaranteed money, Reese did address the
    situation by
    reiterating many of the same things he said on Saturday
    in his post-draft
    presser.

"I’m not going to discuss Osi’s contract situation with you guys. I can say
    this to you, though: the New York Giants are a better football team with Osi
    Umenyiora on our team," Reese said when Ruocco asked him if he has the urge to
    "throw (Umenyiora) a bone" for his years of production. "We respect him as a
    football player. Our goal is to have Osi play football with the New York Giants
    and retire as a Giant. That is what we would like to do first. All of our
    options are open as I have said before but Osi makes us a better football team,
    I do know that."

At that point, Smith interjected by serving less as questioner and more as
    judge and jury in asking Reese how he responded to "some of the erroneous things
    that came out of his mouth" about Reese.

(Pauses to remind everyone none of the accusations Umenyiora has made, including those in
    the affidavit
    , have been proven or disproven. Continuing...)

"I don’t carry grudges. That is the offseason, that is part of the job,"
    Reese said. "In the offseason there is always some controversy about contracts.
    It is not just one person, it can be several different people with contract
    situations. That is part of my job, it is never personal, I don’t think it is
    personal with respect to players and it definitely is not personal with respect
    to me. It is just part of the business."

Reese continued, "We will get through this and we will see what happens
    moving forward. It is part of the business. It is not a big problem for me to
    have guys say some things. I think sometimes some people say things that they
    obviously really don’t mean. Everybody is trying to make as much money as they
    can for themselves and their families and everybody understands that and it is
    not personal."

A few other quotes from Reese from the interview:

On WR Victor Cruz possibly on "Dancing with the Stars" one
    day:
    "Victor looks like he is a pretty good dancer. Funny you should
    say that, I was kind of buzzing through the TV last night and I saw some of that
    and I saw Donald Driver, Donald is pretty good. I think Victor would be good on
    that. Victor is a smart guy. I think Victor wants to focus on football more than
    anything else right now. He had one good year. One good year don’t make you a
    great football player. It means you had one good year. And he is a smart young
    man and I think he wants to focus on what is most important and that is
    football. I think he is doing the right thing. Maybe at some point later on his
    career he may be able to do that but right now I think he is focusing on trying
    to be a good football player."

On QB Eli Manning hosting Saturday Night Live this
    week:
    "Yeah, I think I have to tune into that. I don’t ever watch that
    show but I think I am going to tune in to check this out. He is a funny guy. You
    guys are not around him that much but he can be pretty funny."

On whether the running game will be better this year: "I
    hope so. People say this is a passing league. I still think you have to run the
    ball in this league. We ran the ball pretty good at times. But we are the
    giants, I don’t think we are ever going to go all the way from [running to] we
    are a passing team. I think we like to run the ball first and play-action pass,
    that is who we are but it is really nice to have a quarterback who if you have
    to throw 40 times, the guy can do it and do a good job. That is a good product
    to have in your system."

##

GIANTS' AHMAD BRADSHAW VOWS TO MAKE FIRST ROUND PICK DAVID WILSON HIS "PROJECT"

"It's amazing how quickly the circle of life spins in the NFL.

Seven years ago, Tiki Barber took Brandon Jacobs under his wing in the Giants' backfield. Soon thereafter, Jacobs
    became the elder statesman guiding Ahmad Bradshaw. And now, with Jacobs gone to
    the San Franscisco 49ers, Bradshaw will become the instructor for David
    Wilson, the Giants' first-round pick in this year's NFL Draft

"I plan on using him as my project," Bradshaw said today in quotes
    released by the team
    . “He’s a very talented running back and he’s from
    Virginia. Two Virginia guys in this running back corps is going to be dangerous.
    I expect to use him as my project to get him better, to get him smarter and just
    to mature him a little bit, just to help him understand the NFL."

Bradshaw, a former seventh-round pick, is entering his sixth NFL season. This
    one will be different for him, though, because of the absence of Jacobs. He's
    already said he
    plans to be more vocal and take on more of a leadership role
    . No sooner did
    he make that promise than the perfect subject to lead - Wilson - landed on the
    doorstep.

Bradshaw realizes Wilson has a lot to learn in the team's complex offense, so
    he plans to help him in that regard.

"As a Giant running back, it’s one of the toughest things,” Bradshaw said. "I
    don’t see a lot of guys coming in and being able to grasp all of the different
    things you can do as a running back. You just have so many pass protections, so
    many pass route terms, so many run terms. You have different terminology from
    when you’re in college or when you’re with another team. It’s just so much
    different terminology with us and then we have so many keywords and hidden
    phrases. Different teams won’t know exactly what you’re doing every game. It’s
    kind of tough.

"Like I say, when I came as a rookie my plan was to try to impress the
    coaches and learn that playbook. Once I was able to learn that playbook I was
    able to impress the coaches by going out there and using my God-gifted talents
    and go out there and do what I do best."

Arguably the most important aspect of that rundown Bradshaw gave was the
    pass- protection part.

"If you can’t protect that quarterback, you can’t get out there," he said.
    "That’s how we look at it now. We’ve had a lot of rookies and a lot of young
    guys come through here. We don’t even let them, in practice, get behind Eli
    (Manning). When you’re behind Eli you know that you’re getting better and you’re
    trusted."

There was no media access today, but the Giants provided those good quotes
    above and a few others.

WR Hakeem Nicks on his advice for second-round pick WR Rueben Randle: "All
    eyes are going to be on you so you just want to come in and try to do everything
    right. But in all likelihood you probably won’t. That’s just how your
    expectations have to be. ... (The first challenge is) grasping the whole idea of
    things and how we run things here, just making sure he’s accountable and able to
    take on everything that’s going to be thrown at him. It isn’t going to be a lot.
    We won’t throw too much at him, I’m sure, but just being a rookie, you know you
    have to come in and play the game the same way you’ve been playing it. Don’t put
    too much on yourself."

More advice from Nicks to Randle: "Once you get the playbook down, it’s
    concepts. Try not to learn just one position. Try to learn the whole offense and
    it will be better for you."

CB Terrell Thomas on third-round CB pick Jayron Hosley: "He’s facing the same
    opportunity that I had. When I came in there were two or three starters here
    that were in that spot. We’re looking for someone to come in and be young and
    energetic and help out and play special teams and learn to win from the best. I
    heard he’s a great player. I’m happy with the addition. We’re getting younger. I
    can’t wait to meet him and help him out."

As a refresher, these were the players we mentioned as Giants undrafted free
    agents on Saturday (they or their agents/schools claimed they signed): DE Matt
    Broha (Lousiana Tech), FB Joe Martinek (Rutgers), WR David Douglas (Arizona), WR
    Julian Talley (UMass and Winslow HS), DE Adewale Ojomo (Miami), S Jojo Nicolas
    (Miami) and S Janzen Jackson (McNeese State).

Art
    Stapleton over there at The Record
    mentioned OL Stephen Goodin
    (Nebraska-Kearney) and WR Damian Davis (Mary Hardin-Baylor). And Tom Rock from
    Newsday saw something on Twitter saying OL D'Angelo McCray (Memphis) signed.

We'll let you know when all of the signings are made official.

I can tell you GM Reese said on WFAN today he was surprised Martinek didn't
    get drafted. He also mentioned Jackson and said he will be read "the riot act"
    as a warning. Jackson has some red flags, as
    I outlined last week
    ."

NFL DRAFT: FOR GIANTS, JETS, POST-DRAFT GRADES PRESENT DIFFERENCE OF OPINION

"Perhaps at no time is prognostication more meaningless than just before,
    during and after the NFL Draft. Prospects who are destined for greatness are
    questioned by pundits; others, meanwhile, are feted before flaming out in the
    NFL. "Draft experts" rate teams' selections based on "needs," hypothesizing how
    a team might wedge a player into its scheme having never attended a practice or
    meeting.

With that in mind -- and illustrative of the point -- we present a sampling
    post-draft grades, varied as they are, beginning with a rather optimistic
    evaluation from The Star-Ledger.

The Star-Ledger

Jets:
    A-
    In the draft's first two rounds, the Jets may have found starters at
    defensive end and wide receiver come Week 1. Jets fans on NJ.com were surprised
    -- and some dismayed -- the team
    did not aim to add offensive line depth

Giants:
    A-
    David Wilson is lauded for his athletic abilities, while Reuben Randle is
    touted as a wide receiver who will be allowed to flourish in the pros much more
    than he did at LSU. Jayron Hosley is viewed as the pivot player, whose success
    or failure will mirror the success or failure of Jerry Reese's draft. NJ.com
    users were reluctant to rate the draft so soon, choosing
    to forestall an assessment
    to judge how the numerous "developmental" players
    the Giants selected.

ESPN.com

Jets: C
    Mel Kiper Jr., ESPN's draft guru, saddles the
    Jets with a "C" for two reasons. First, because the Jets opted for Quinton
    Coples instead of Melvin Ingram, whom Kiper tipped as the better player. Second,
    Kiper assesses Stephen Hill as a raw player, blindingly quick but lacking
    precision as a route runner. Linebacker Demario Davis is cited as a good value
    pick in the third round.

Giants: C+
    Kiper speculates the Giants wanted former
    Boise State running back Doug Martin over David Wilson, despite Reese's
    assertion that Wilson was the Giants' No. 2-rated running back (presumably,
    behind No. 3 overall pick Trent Richardson). Randle, Kiper says, lacks
    "explosiveness." Hosley lacks strength to muscle opponents, Kiper feels.
    Wilson's ability to have an effect will key the success of this crew.

SI.com

Jets: D+
    Sports Illustrated rates the Jets' draft as
    "more bad than good." Despite possible surprises with Hill and Jordan White at
    wide receiver, Coples is a "colossal roll of the dice" and the failure to
    address the offensive tackle position earns demerits.

Giants: B+
    Wilson is seen by SI as the riskiest of the
    Giants' picks -- if only because he might struggle to get on the field his
    rookie season. Randle, Hosley and offensive tackle Brandon Mosley are seen as
    "gems."

Yahoo.com

Jets:
    C-
    The Jets' below average grade is bestowed due to the Coples pick. Yahoo
    feels general manager Mike Tannenbaum should have learned from his 2008
    first-round pick (Vernon Gholston), picking a freakish athlete but a players
    whose passion for football is in question.

Giants:
    C+
    A barely above-average rating, but few poor choices are pointed out by
    Yahoo. Wilson is lauded, as is Randle. The Giants made "typical choices," with
    the reminder that young players tend to improve rapidly when they put on a blue
    jersey and helmet."

http://www.nj.com/giants/

NY DAILY NEWS

REESE WON'T TAKE OSI'S RIPS PERSONAL

"It’s not personal, Jerry Reese insisted. It’s only business.

No matter
    how ugly his feud with angry Osi Umenyiora gets.

That was the reaction
    by the Giants GM to essentially being called a liar by Umeyiora for the second
    offseason in a row. In an interview on ESPN Radio in New York on Tuesday, Reese
    dismissed the defensive end’s sharp words as “offseason chatter”.

That’s
    exactly what he called it last summer, too.

“I don’t carry grudges,”
    Reese insisted. “That’s the offseason. That’s part of the job. In the offseason
    there’s always some controversies about contracts. It’s never personal. I don’t
    think it’s personal with respect to players. It’s definitely not personal with
    respect to me. It’s just part of the business.”

It’s been a dirty
    business between Reese and Umenyiora, though, as the defensive end continues his
    years-long battle for a lucrative contract extension. After several years of
    threatening to holdout or even retire, Umenyiora began making his fight personal
    in 2011 when he swore in a court affidavit that Reese reneged on a promise to
    give him a new contract or to trade him.

He turned his sights on Reese
    again on Sunday, one day after the GM
    insisted that Umenyiora had twice rejected contract extension offers
    from
    the Giants. In an email to the Daily News, Umenyiora questioned Reese’s grasp of
    the facts, said the offers were insignificant, and said it was “hilarious” that
    Reese was making
    him “look like a greedy pig for turning it down.”

Umenyiora also
    hinted at more battles to come. In fact, one source close to the angry end said
    he is contemplating skipping the Giants’ mandatory, full-team minicamp in
    mid-June and he may eventually demand a trade from the Giants.

Reese, as
    he did on Saturday, said “all of our options are open” with Umenyiora, but he
    reiterated he still hopes to find some way to make their disintegrating marriage
    work.

“The New York Giants, we’re a better football team with Osi
    Umenyiora on our team,” Reese said. “We respect him as a football player. So our
    goal is to have Osi play football for the New York Giants and retire as a Giant.
    That’s what we’d like to do first.

“But all of our options are open like
    I said before.”

Umenyiora said the Giants have offered him a contract
    extension, but he insisted they only offered about $5.5 million in guaranteed
    money – or about one-third of what he’s looking for, along with a multi-year
    deal that will pay him an average of more than $10 million per season. He is due
    to make $3.975 million this season in the last year of a seven-year, $41 million
    contract extension he signed in 2005.

The next move appears to be
    Umenyiora’s, and he promised in his email that it could be
    “interesting.”

Reese, for his part, promised “We’ll get through this.”
    That may depend on what Umenyiora does – or says – next.

“It’s not a big
    problem for me to have guys say some things,” Reese said. “I think sometimes
    people say things that obviously they really don’t mean. But everybody is trying
    to make as much money as they can for themselves and their families. Everybody
    understands that. It’s not personal.”

##

BRADSHAW READY TO WORK ON NEW RD "PROJECT"

"When Ahmad Bradshaw arrived in 2007 as a rookie running back with the Giants,
    Brandon Jacobs welcomed him and took him under his wing.

Now it’s
    Bradshaw’s turn to do the same for David Wilson, the Virginia Tech running back
    the Giants took in the first round of the NFL draft.

“I plan on using
    him as my project,” Bradshaw said on Monday. “He’s a very talented running back
    and he’s from Virginia. Two Virginia guys in this running back corps is going to
    be dangerous. I expect to use him as my project to get him better, to get him
    smarter and just to mature him a little bit, just to help him understand the
    NFL.”

Bradshaw, who lives about three hours away from Wilson during the
    offseason, is already handing out advice to the rookie. He said the first thing
    Wilson needs to do is learn how to block because “If you can’t protect that
    quarterback, you can’t get out there. That’s how we look at it
    now.”

That’s just one of the many things Wilson will have to learn, and
    Bradshaw knows the experience can be overwhelming. The Giants’ offensive
    playbook is thick and the plays, signals and assignments are
    complicated.

For a running back – especially one who figures to get a
    lot of work in the Giants’ two-back rotation – learning it all will be a lot of
    work.

“I don’t see a lot of guys coming in and being able to grasp all
    of the different things you can do as a running back,” Bradshaw said. “You just
    have so many pass protections, so many pass route terms, so many run terms. You
    have different terminology from when you’re in college. It’s kind of
    tough.

“Like I say, when I came as a rookie my plan was to try to
    impress the coaches and learn that playbook. Once I was able to learn that
    playbook I was able to impress the coaches by going out there and using my
    God-gifted talents and go out there and do what I do best.”

Nicks, Thomas welcome their new teammates,
    too

There was no media access to the Giants today, but the
    Giants PR staff sent out quotes from several players about the team’s new draft
    picks. The quotes included the above ones from Bradshaw on Wilson, WR Hakeem
    Nicks on second-round WR Reuben Randle, and CB Terrell Thomas on third-round CB
    Jayron Holsey.

Not surprisingly, all three players were very welcoming.
    And that’s not just because the PR staff would never put out negative quotes
    about their new players. It’s also because that’s the way the atmosphere around
    the Giants has become over the last decade. Veteran players often take rookies
    under their wings.

Anyway, here’s what the old Giants said about the new
    ones:

Nicks on Randle: “All eyes are going to be on you
    so you just want to come in and try to do everything right. But in all
    likelihood you probably won’t. That’s just how your expectations have to be.
    (The first challenge is) grasping the whole idea of things and how we run things
    here, just making sure he’s accountable and able to take on everything that’s
    going to be thrown at him. It isn’t going to be a lot. We won’t throw too much
    at him, I’m sure, but just being a rookie, you know you have to come in and play
    the game the same way you’ve been playing it. Don’t put too much on
    yourself.”

Thomas on Holsey: “He’s facing the same
    opportunity that I had. When I came in there were two or three starters here
    that were in that spot. We’re looking for someone to come in and be young and
    energetic and help out and play special teams and learn to win from the best. I
    heard he’s a great player. I’m happy with the addition. We’re getting younger. I
    can’t wait to meet him and help him out.

“I’ve never been shy to help
    someone, to give them advice or help them in the film room. I think he (Hosley)
    will make us better. If he takes my spot, good luck. I love competition. I was
    raised on it. It’s something Coach (Pete) Carroll taught us in college (at USC).
    It’s something I thrive on. It motivates me that someone is coming to take my
    spot. That’s what this league is all about. Every year, every week somebody can
    take your spot. It’s going to push me, it’s going to push Corey, it’s going to
    push Prince and every other DB on this team to get better. And hopefully, we can
    help him at the same time.”

Mr. Goff goes to Washington

LB Jonathan Goff,
    who missed most of last season with the Giants after tearing his ACL, signed a
    free-agent contract with the Washington Redskins on Monday.

That was
    hardly a surprise, considering the Giants long ago made the decision to move on.
    There had been some indications the Giants were trying to re-sign Goff before
    the free agency period began, but it never happened and he only drew lukewarm
    interest on the market from the Browns, Dolphins and Redskins. Considering he is
    young and has experience as a starter, it made me wonder if maybe his ACL isn’t
    fully healed.

Regardless, he’s gone now and the Giants seem poised to
    move Michael Boley to the middle or figure out another way to tinker with their
    linebacker corps."

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giant

WHAT ELEMENTS TO DAVID WILSON AND RUEBEN RANDLE BRING TO THE GIANTS?

"The New York
    Giants
    added two new weapons to their offensive attack in the first two
    rounds of the 2012 NFL Draft in
    running back David
    Wilson
    of Virginia Tech and wide receiver Rueben
    Randle
    of LSU. The two will help offset the losses of Mario
    Manningham
    and Brandon
    Jacobs
    to free agency, but also represent a change in both the Giants
    passing offense and running game.

Today on Giants 101, we look at the elements Eli Manning's newest weapons
    bring to the Giants attack.

WR Rueben
    Randle
    vs WR Mario
    Manningham

While Rueben
    Randle
    and Mario
    Manningham
    do share a common trait in their crafty route running, Randle is
    a very different receiver than Manningham and brings a different skill set to
    the table for the G-Men. Nicks and Cruz are the clear number one and number two
    receiving options for Manning and the New York passing game, but Randle is likely to step in
    and take over Manningham's role as the number three option on the outside (Cruz
    will likely remain in the slot on the majority of the snaps, where he is at his
    best).

Manningham was a real vertical threat on the outside who was at his best
    working the sideline and taking advantage of one on one opportunities over the
    top. He's elusive and has very good stop and start moves in the open field to
    create extra yardage in space, but wasn't a guy who was going to run through
    tacklers or create much after initial contact.

Rueben
    Randle
    is more in the mold of an Anquan Boldin or Hakeem Nicks(although
    Nicks is a more explosive athlete and puts more pressure on defenses vertically
    in addition to his physical play over the middle and underneath), and brings a
    bigger target to the table for Manning. He's a tall, long athlete who will be a
    big threat in the red zone with his size, body control, and ability to snatch
    the football
    out of the air. Whereas the majority of Manningham's touchdowns came on fade
    routes to the pylon or on 30 and 40 yard throws, Randle is a guy who can catch
    the ball in traffic, win a jump ball, or catch the ball at the six yard line and
    drag a defender into the end zone.

RB David
    Wilson
    vs RB Brandon
    Jacobs

Again, these are two players that are very different in the physical traits
    and skill set they bring to an offense. David
    Wilson
    is an electric runner, who is physical and powerful in his style, but
    is also very capable of breaking a 60 to 70 yard run anytime the football is
    in his hands.

Brandon
    Jacobs
    was obviously known for his size and the intimidation factor he
    brought to the Giants backfield. He was difficult to bring down with a head of
    steam and it often took multiple tacklers to get Jacobs to the ground.

Wilson is a smaller back but compares favorably to DeAngelo Williams and Tiki
    Barber. He's tough and competitive and looks to break out of tackles, but also
    has that rare acceleration to beat cornerbacks and safeties to the end zone once
    he gets to the outside. Wilson also brings a receiving threat out of the
    backfield with his soft hands and ability to make big plays in the screen game,
    something we didn't see nearly as much with Jacobs in his time as a Giant.

OVERALL IMPACT

In the end, the Giants kind of swapped speed and big play ability from the
    passing game to the running game. They have gotten substantially more explosive
    in their running back group, while adding more size and physicality to their
    receiving core.

The receiving threat and big play ability on screens Wilson brings to the New York
    backfield should help New York negate some of the blitzes and heavy pass rush
    they will see with their reshuffled offensive line next season, as he is
    certainly capable of making defenses pay on the back end with open field space
    in front of him.

In the passing game, the Giants have become a little more difficult to
    contend with inside of the twenty, as Randle is another big body that operates
    well in traffic and can win the football in tight spaces(not to mention their addition
    of MartellusBennett earlier in the off-season at tight end)."

##

GIANTS' AHMAD BRADSHAW ANXIOUS TO TAKE DAVID WILSON UNDER HIS WING

"For five years, New York
    Giants
    running back Ahmad
    Bradshaw
    had been the student; Brandon Jacobs the teacher. The two developed
    an incredibly close, almost brother-like bond. But now, with Jacobs a member of
    the San Francisco 49ers, it's Bradshaw's turn to step up and assume the role
    teacher. It's a role he's embracing, telling Michael Eisen of Giants.com he's anxious to help mold
    2012 first-round draft choice David
    Wilson
    into a superstar.

“I plan on using him as my project,” Bradshaw said. “He’s a very talented
    running back and he’s from Virginia. Two Virginia guys in this running back
    corps is going to be dangerous. I expect to use him as my project to get him
    better, to get him smarter and just to mature him a little bit, just to help him
    understand the NFL.”

Hopes are already quite high for Wilson, whom General Manager Jerry Reese
    referred to as a "bulldog" during an interview with Mike Francesa on Monday
    afternoon. Perhaps with a little tutelage from Bradshaw, the rookie can help
    make an immediate impact. At least that's what the team is hoping for.

"You don’t have to worry about school and grades and different things. Now
    it’s just straight football. You worry about this playbook and doing the
    right things, so when it comes time for you to make a play or come out to
    practice and be in the right position," Bradshaw added. "Coming in you have a
    lot of different things going through your head and you’re trying to make the
    coaches happy, meeting new teammates. You worry about a little bit of everything
    when you first come in. That’s why it’s a good thing to come in and just be
    level-headed and be ready to learn.”

Wilson is a level-headed, respectful, courteous guy. He was the first player
    in history to wear a suit and tie to the NFL Combine and has not had so much as a partial hiccup
    off the field. He's a tremendous fit for the Giants' locker-room, and should
    jump right in and ready himself for football. It's hard to imagine a scenario where he
    becomes too overwhelmed to participate or grasp the things he needs to
    learn.

Reese has said time and again that Wilson topped their big board at pick #32,
    and in only a few short days, as rookie mini-camp (May 11-13) gets underway,
    hopefully we'll all see why."

HAS MODERN NFL OFFENSE CHANGED THE GAME OF FOOTBALL FOREVER?

"There’s the old adage: “Defense wins Championships.” Lately, one would beg to
    differ – especially those deep into NFL stats. Like it or not, the game has been
    changing.

Power running is still a part of game day; it’s just not a priority as much
    anymore. There’s another change: teams do use the run to hold onto the ball and
    gain time of possession, but it’s not what seemingly gets teams into the
    playoffs as of late.

Looking at stats from the last three years, the top ten overall rushing and
    passing offenses were viewed and compared to those of the teams that made the
    playoffs. Of the top ten rushing offenses, 43% of those moved on to the
    playoffs. Of the top ten passing offenses, a little over 63% advanced to the
    post-season. Out of all three years, the Lombardi winners all had top five
    passing attacks and little to no run game in the regular season.

Defense still matters somewhat in the regular season. The overall defenses of
    playoff-bound teams from the 2009, 2010 and 2011 (16-game regular season) were
    top ten almost 57%. Once it came time for the Super Bowl, only 33% were top ten.
    2010 was the only year that both teams (Green Bay and Pittsburgh) had top ten
    defenses. 2009 and 2011 were where the anomaly comes in. Neither team in the big
    game had impressive defensive statistics (2009: New Orleans and Indianapolis;
    2011: New England and New York).

This isn’t to say that defenses don’t step up and change once in the
    playoffs, it simply is fact that offenses -mainly the pass- is surpassing the
    run and pass defense in what was once the epitome of football.

Here’s where the evolution of the New York Football Giants has come to today. It’s no longer the
    smashmouth, slobber-knocker-type of gridiron play it was when Coach Bill
    Parcells
    came in and made other teams fear the run and, of course, the
    defense. The game has sped up and become more finesse. The battle is still in
    the trenches, but involves more than strength down there. It’s now also a battle
    of intellect more than ever. Defensive players are faster and have more skill
    technique up front, so the approach from the team trying to move the ball and
    score had to become one that relies heavily on the quarterback and trust.

It was easy years ago to ground and pound. The offensive line would shove
    opposing defenses back and pave the way for bruising running backs while adding
    in a second, faster scat-back that could “cut” on the defense once more men were
    pushed up to the line. Stacking more bodies up to that line of scrimmage is what
    drove offensive coordinators to realize that run first wasn’t going to work as
    well anymore. Run and shoot is more predominant now. Spreading out 11 players is
    harder to defend and where most playoff-caliber teams have been headed,
    including the New York
    Giants

Acquiring Eli
    Manning
    and bringing in Tom
    Coughlin
    set this Giants change in motion. Coughlin promoting QB Coach Kevin
    Gilbride
    and getting rid of then offensive coordinator John Hufnagel was the
    last piece needed to solidify what was to become this current high-powered
    offensive mold. The team was slowly built around Manning: protecting him, giving
    him a solid run game and eventually -here’s the big part- giving him young
    receivers to grow with him. Today, he leads the huge, powerful air force that
    has brought glory back to the Meadowlands.

Yeah, it’s not the Giants of decades ago, but last look at the calendar, its
    2012 and Big Blue are World Champions. Again."

http://www.giants101.com/

BIG BLUE VIEW

GIANTS' UDFA REVIEW: IS THERE A VICTOR CRUZ I THIS YEAR'S CROP?

"Is there a Victor Cruz
    among the 10 undrafted free agents the New York Giants
    signed following the conclusion of the 2012 NFL Draft? Let's take a brief look
    at each UDFA who will be trying to earn a spot with the Giants in 2012.

Janzen Jackson, S, McNeese State

Janzen was dismissed from University of Tennesee football program last
    summer after reportedly failing multiple drug tests. Giants general manager
    Jerry Reese is not put off by those trangressions, saying Monday on WFAN that
    "we've had some success with guys like that."

Scouting Report: "Jackson was immediately productive as a
    freshman in Tennessee and watched his game take off before being dismissed from
    the program. He possesses the underlying skills to be used at a variety of
    positions in the defensive secondary and could develop into a starting
    cornerback in the NFL if he turns up the intensity against the run and stays
    away from off field distractions."

Does he have a chance? It would certainly seem like it. The Giants
    listed the 5-foot111/2, 181-pound Jackson as a safety, though he seems small for
    that position. Could the practice squad be a possibility if he flashes some
    talent and keeps himself out of trouble?

Matt Broha, DE, Louisiana Tech

A four-year starter at Louisiana Tech with some pass-rush skills, and
    possibly the versatility to get a look at outside linebacker. He had 23.5 sacks
    the past two seasons.

Scouting Report: "Broha was productive on the college level
    and has quietly been one of the better pass rushers in the nation. He offers a
    variety of skill and his approach to the game will help him catch on as a backup
    at defensive end, pass rush linebacker or even tight end."

Does he have a chance? The Giants love pass-rushers, and that is what
    Broha is. If he can show the ability to get to the quarterback against NFL
    linemen then, sure, he has a shot.

David Douglas, WR, Arizona

Highly productive his last two seasons with 52 and 65 catches. A 6-foot,
    200-pound possession type receiver.

Scouting Report: "Douglas does the little things well at his
    position and offers possibilities as a fifth receiver/special teams player for
    an NFL team."

Does he have a chance? A slim one, maybe. Cruz, Hakeem Nicks,
    Rueben Randle, Jerrel
    Jernigan
    , Ramses Barden
    and Domenik Hixon
    are all in front of him. The Giants would seem set, but you never know. Hixon
    might get hurt again or just not have much left. The Giants could get tired of
    waiting for Barden, too, and that could open a spot.

Adewale Ojomo, DE, Miami

Another guy looked at as a defensive end/ linebacker 'tweener (6-ffot-3, 260)
    with some pass-rush potential. Not as productive collegiately as Broha.

Scouting Report: "Ojomo was a solid college player who
    possesses a linebacker?s body with defensive lineman speed. He offers
    possibilities as a one-gap pass rushing end brought onto the field during
    third-and-long situations."

Does he have a chance? Probably about the same shot as Broha.

Julian Talley, WR, UMass

Talley, of course, comes from the same school Cruz attended and plays the
    same position. So, there will be natural comparisons. Can he justify them, or
    come anywhere close to doing so?

Scouting Report: "Could be worth a pick late, but at worst
    looks likes a priority FA who should be able to fight for a roster spot if he
    can continue to improve his hands."

Does he have a chance? As I said before, the wide receiver spot seems
    pretty crowded right now. I hate to hear about wide receivers who need to
    improve their hands, but you never know what can happen when he gets to
    camp.

Jojo Nicolas, S, Miami

Nicolas comes out of Miami, which has produced many great NFL safeties over
    the years. He does not seem to be in that stratosphere, though.

Scouting Report: "Nicolas is an underrated safety prospect who
    displays good instincts on the field and is effective in all areas of the game.
    He possesses ordinary size/speed numbers yet has the ability to be used as a
    nickel safety in a variety of systems at the next level. Effective on special
    teams for the hurricanes, Nicolas should also be an asset on coverage
    units."

Does he have a chance? The Giants are thin at safety, and Nicolas
    might have a chance to impress on special teams. Maybe a practice squad
    possibility if he plays well.

Damian Davis, WR, Mary Hardin-Baylor

Davis was dismissed from the Oklahoma State football team back in 2009 for a
    violation of team rules. He ended at someplace called Mary Hardin-Baylor, a
    Division III school, and I can't find out much more than the fact that he is
    6-foot-5, 185 pounds.

Does he have a chance? Not likely.

Stephen Goodin, OL, Nebraska-Kearney

Goodin is a 6-foot-6, 310-pound player out of Division II with a huge
    transition in front of him if he hopes to make it to the NFL. Goodin was a guard
    for Nebraska-Kearney.

Does he have a chance? Well, Rich Seubert
    had a long career with the Giants after being an undrafted free agent. So,
    anything is possible.

De'Angelo McCray, G, Memphis

He is a 6-foot-4, 336-pound guy who you would have to think has a chance to
    be a quality run blocker.

Does he have a chance? Maybe as a developmental player on the practice
    squad if he shows anything on the field.

Joe Martinek, RB, Rutgers

The Giants say they were surprised the former
    Scarlet Knight went undrafted. He seems like somewhat of a 'tweener, not big
    enough to be a fullback and not fast enough (4.65) to be a tailback.

Scouting Report: Martinek was moderately productive in a
    variety of ways on the college level. The ability to carry the ball, catch it
    out of the backfield and be used as a blocker could help catch on as a fourth
    back in the NFL.

Does he have a chance? Why not? Martinek has
    a variety of skills even though it doesn't seem he would do anything
    exceptionally well. Maybe he can hook on as a practice squad guy."

##

NY GIANTS' NEWS AND NOTES: VETERANS WELCOME DRAFT CHOICES

Excerpt: ""Good morning, New York Giants
    fans. Let's see what we can find floating around the Inter-Google this
    morning.

Ahmad
    Bradshaw
    is welcoming first-round pick David Wilson
    with open arms, which is obviously important since Wilson will be expected to
    share the running load with Bradshaw."I plan on using him as my project,"
    Bradshaw said. "He's a very talented running back and he's from Virginia. Two
    Virginia guys in this running back corps is going to be dangerous. I expect to
    use him as my project to get him better, to get him smarter and just to mature
    him a little bit, just to help him understand the NFL."

Second-round pick Rueben Randle, a wide receiver, was compared to Hakeem Nicks
    by Giants GM Jerry Reese. Nicks offered Randle this advice:

"All eyes are going to be on you so you just want to come in and try to do
    everything right," Nicks said. "But in all likelihood you probably won't. That's
    just how your expectations have to be.

"(The first challenge is) grasping
    the whole idea of things and how we run things here, just making sure he's
    accountable and able to take on everything that's going to be thrown at him. It
    isn't going to be a lot. We won't throw too much at him, I'm sure, but just
    being a rookie, you know you have to come in and play the game the same way
    you've been playing it. Don't put too much on yourself."

Cornerback Terrell
    Thomas
    is also looking forward to meeting and working with third-round pick
    Jayron HOsley.

"He's facing the same opportunity that I had," Thomas said of Hosley. "When I
    came in there were two or three starters here that were in that spot. We're
    looking for someone to come in and be young and energetic and help out and play
    special teams and learn to win from the best.

"I heard he's a great
    player. I'm happy with the addition. We're getting younger. I can't wait to meet
    him and help him out."

Here are a few notes from around the NFL ...Read more...

NY GIANTS' DRAFT PHILOSOPHY" BORING, BUT EFFECTIVE

"There were eight trades in the first round of the 2012 NFL Draft, and about a
    gazillion over the course of the next six rounds (gazillion is a good number to
    use when you can't find the real total). Anyway, the point is that all of that
    activity took place without your defending Super Bowl champion New
    York Giants
    moving a muscle.

The Giants sat in the spots the draft gave them and, as usual, came out of
    the now three-day affair looking as if they had done solid work. This is why the
    Giants have won two Super Bowls in four years and four in their history. It is
    why they always have a chance to be good, and why the 4-12 season is a rarity
    while being in contention is the norm.

The Giants have a plan, they stick to the plan, they don't panic over one
    player or position (this also applies to Osi Umenyiora
    and his contract whining). They trust the process, that no matter when they
    select their will be good players on the board who can help them, and they trust
    their scouts to identify them.

Are they wrong sometimes? Certainly. They are right, however, way more often
    than they are wrong.

New York Giants coach Tom Coughlin described the Giants rather boring, workman-like approach to the draft.

"I think we take a lot of pride in getting the proper grade on the player. A
    lot of pride in ranking the players properly and then stacking the board and
    believing that there is going to be a good player for us to pick by virtue of
    showing patience and not doing a lot of maneuvering," Coughlin said. "We don't
    do a lot of trading. We don't do a lot of maneuvering. We do have a number of
    calls that come into the room offering to maneuver, a lot of which are ‘Are you
    interested in?' Of course, as you know, to move substantially, particularly if
    you're going to move up substantially, is going to cost you some picks. So we
    believe that we'll have an opportunity to draft a good football player, whether
    you're talking third, fourth round or whether you're talking even later in the
    draft."

This is the way George Young, the general manager who lifted the Giants from
    their deepest, darkest period, did business. He sat there, let the draft come to
    him and took the best player he could whenever it was his turn. It's the way he
    trained Ernie Accorsi, and the way Accorsi trained Jerry Reese, the current
    general manager.

The Giants have occasionally pulled the trigger on deals, the draft day
    mega-deal for Eli Manning
    being the one that the franchise is currently built on, of course. As a general
    rule, though, teams wanting to jump all around the draft board would be better
    served to call someone else rather than wasting Reese's time.

The two times I can remember the Giants moving up in recent years were to
    grab wide receivers Sinorice Moss
    and Ramses
    Barden
    . It seems that Reese has learned his lesson from those moves. I would
    use the word 'failure,' but Barden is still on the roster so I won't. Or, did I
    just use it, anyway?

"We've moved up to get guys before and it hasn't worked out that great for
    us," Reese said. "We're a little bit leery of moving up and taking guys. We've
    done that in the past and I don't think our success has been very good."

If you want to think the Giants "lost" Boise State running back Doug Martin
    this year because they would not move up to get in front of Tampa Bay, which
    took Martin at No. 31, Reese is fine with that. He will take David Wilson,
    which he did, then go on WFAN and tell Mike Francesa the Giants would not have
    selected Martin, anyway.

Yes, the method is methodical. Yes, it's boring. Yes, it can lead to
    fingernail
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

Re: NEWS, NOTES, RUMORS, AND GOSSIP: TUESDAY, MAY 1, 2012 - 9:01 A.M.

Thanks for the news RF. I do not understand how you can grade a draft when nobody has even stepped on the field yet.

[quote user="nygsb42champs"]Thanks for the news RF. I do not understand how you can grade a draft when nobody has even stepped on the field yet.[/quote]

It doesn't make sense to me either.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

thanks Roanoke!

[quote user="BigBlue1971"]thanks Roanoke![/quote]

[Y]

# 80