+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

REESE WON'T TAKE OSI'S RIPS PERSONAL

REESE WON'T TAKE OSI'S RIPS PERSONAL

"It’s not personal, Jerry Reese insisted. It’s only business.

No matter
    how ugly his feud with angry Osi Umenyiora gets.

That was the reaction
    by the Giants GM to essentially being called a liar by Umeyiora for the second
    offseason in a row. In an interview on ESPN Radio in New York on Tuesday, Reese
    dismissed the defensive end’s sharp words as “offseason chatter”.

That’s
    exactly what he called it last summer, too.

“I don’t carry grudges,”
    Reese insisted. “That’s the offseason. That’s part of the job. In the offseason
    there’s always some controversies about contracts. It’s never personal. I don’t
    think it’s personal with respect to players. It’s definitely not personal with
    respect to me. It’s just part of the business.”

It’s been a dirty
    business between Reese and Umenyiora, though, as the defensive end continues his
    years-long battle for a lucrative contract extension. After several years of
    threatening to holdout or even retire, Umenyiora began making his fight personal
    in 2011 when he swore in a court affidavit that Reese reneged on a promise to
    give him a new contract or to trade him.

He turned his sights on Reese
    again on Sunday, one day after the GM
    insisted that Umenyiora had twice rejected contract extension offers
    from
    the Giants. In an email to the Daily News, Umenyiora questioned Reese’s grasp of
    the facts, said the offers were insignificant, and said it was “hilarious” that
    Reese was making
    him “look like a greedy pig for turning it down.”

Umenyiora also
    hinted at more battles to come. In fact, one source close to the angry end said
    he is contemplating skipping the Giants’ mandatory, full-team minicamp in
    mid-June and he may eventually demand a trade from the Giants.

Reese, as
    he did on Saturday, said “all of our options are open” with Umenyiora, but he
    reiterated he still hopes to find some way to make their disintegrating marriage
    work.

“The New York Giants, we’re a better football team with Osi
    Umenyiora on our team,” Reese said. “We respect him as a football player. So our
    goal is to have Osi play football for the New York Giants and retire as a Giant.
    That’s what we’d like to do first.

“But all of our options are open like
    I said before.”

Umenyiora said the Giants have offered him a contract
    extension, but he insisted they only offered about $5.5 million in guaranteed
    money – or about one-third of what he’s looking for, along with a multi-year
    deal that will pay him an average of more than $10 million per season. He is due
    to make $3.975 million this season in the last year of a seven-year, $41 million
    contract extension he signed in 2005.

The next move appears to be
    Umenyiora’s, and he promised in his email that it could be
    “interesting.”

Reese, for his part, promised “We’ll get through this.”
    That may depend on what Umenyiora does – or says – next.

“It’s not a big
    problem for me to have guys say some things,” Reese said. “I think sometimes
    people say things that obviously they really don’t mean. But everybody is trying
    to make as much money as they can for themselves and their families. Everybody
    understands that. It’s not personal.”
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

Re: REESE WON'T TAKE OSI'S RIPS PERSONAL

Good way to play it down and take the higher roll... At the end of the day Osi is a great player and would help any team... Reese is doing a great job by sidestepping the controversial DE and making it not personal... Either way Reese is going to get a body in there and Osi should realize that ans play ball... If I were Osi I would be looking to have an injury free standout last seaon and make a big payday by his on feild play... Im a fan of Osi but at the end of the day when we got JPP Osi is more expendable to me... Still a great weapon for our team Osi is though...
    I want to see Eli in a new system before I throw in the towel in him. (1-15-14)

*** OK I have seen it and I'm a bit worried *** (8-30-14)

***** I'm not as worried after all ***** (9-26-14)

Get well #80!

[quote user="Tony Bruno"]Good way to play it down and take the higher roll... At the end of the day Osi is a great player and would help any team... Reese is doing a great job by sidestepping the controversial DE and making it not personal... Either way Reese is going to get a body in there and Osi should realize that ans play ball... If I were Osi I would be looking to have an injury free standout last seaon and make a big payday by his on feild play... Im a fan of Osi but at the end of the day when we got JPP Osi is more expendable to me... Still a great weapon for our team Osi is though...[/quote]Very well stated.

Veteran

“.....The New York Giants, we’re a better football team with Osi Umenyiora on our team,” Reese said. “We respect him as a football player. So our goal is to have Osi play football for the New York Giants and retire as a Giant. That’s what we’d like to do first....."

It would be refreshing if some people on this message board had the same opinion of Osi.

Just saying.

Veteran

[quote user="JMFP2"]

“.....The New York Giants, we’re a better football team with Osi Umenyiora on our team,” Reese said. “We respect him as a football player. So our goal is to have Osi play football for the New York Giants and retire as a Giant. That’s what we’d like to do first....."

It would be refreshing if some people on
    this message board had the same opinion of
    Osi.

not gonna happen on this site

Just saying.

[/quote]

[quote user="RoanokeFan"]REESE WON'T TAKE OSI'S RIPS PERSONAL

"It’s not personal, Jerry Reese insisted. It’s only business.

No matter how ugly his feud with angry Osi Umenyiora gets.

That was the reaction by the Giants GM to essentially being called a liar by Umeyiora for the second offseason in a row. In an interview on ESPN Radio in New York on Tuesday, Reese dismissed the defensive end’s sharp words as “offseason chatter”.

That’s exactly what he called it last summer, too.

“I don’t carry grudges,” Reese insisted. “That’s the offseason. That’s part of the job. In the offseason there’s always some controversies about contracts. It’s never personal. I don’t think it’s personal with respect to players. It’s definitely not personal with respect to me. It’s just part of the business.”

It’s been a dirty business between Reese and Umenyiora, though, as the defensive end continues his years-long battle for a lucrative contract extension. After several years of threatening to holdout or even retire, Umenyiora began making his fight personal in 2011 when he swore in a court affidavit that Reese reneged on a promise to give him a new contract or to trade him.

He turned his sights on Reese again on Sunday, one day after the GM insisted that Umenyiora had twice rejected contract extension offers from the Giants. In an email to the Daily News, Umenyiora questioned Reese’s grasp of the facts, said the offers were insignificant, and said it was “hilarious” that Reese was making him “look like a greedy pig for turning it down.”

Umenyiora also hinted at more battles to come. In fact, one source close to the angry end said he is contemplating skipping the Giants’ mandatory, full-team minicamp in mid-June and he may eventually demand a trade from the Giants.

Reese, as he did on Saturday, said “all of our options are open” with Umenyiora, but he reiterated he still hopes to find some way to make their disintegrating marriage work.

The New York Giants, we’re a better football team with Osi Umenyiora on our team,” Reese said. “We respect him as a football player. So our goal is to have Osi play football for the New York Giants and retire as a Giant. That’s what we’d like to do first.

“But all of our options are open like I said before.”

Umenyiora said the Giants have offered him a contract extension, but he insisted they only offered about $5.5 million in guaranteed money – or about one-third of what he’s looking for, along with a multi-year deal that will pay him an average of more than $10 million per season. He is due to make $3.975 million this season in the last year of a seven-year, $41 million contract extension he signed in 2005.

The next move appears to be Umenyiora’s, and he promised in his email that it could be “interesting.”

Reese, for his part, promised “We’ll get through this.” That may depend on what Umenyiora does – or says – next.

“It’s not a big problem for me to have guys say some things,” Reese said. “I think sometimes people say things that obviously they really don’t mean. But everybody is trying to make as much money as they can for themselves and their families. Everybody understands that. It’s not personal.”
    [/quote]

I would love to see the Giants repeat again this year and win another Lombardi. You all feel the same way, I know. I see Osi as an important part of that.We won't know if he deserves more money until next year. But we need Osi this season. jmo

[quote user="JMFP2"]

It would be refreshing if some people on this message board had the same opinion of Osi.

Just saying.

[/quote]

we do all feel the same for the most part, we just want him to stop whining to the media and honor the 41million $$$ contract he signed.

All-Pro

Of course they where better with him than without him. Doesn't mean they can't win without him.

Veteran

Greedy pigs don't care about rings.

I guess i just don't understand why we don't simply just make osi play out this final year and then let him walk. why all this nonsense? why even ackowledge osi antics? he singed the contract with a real pen in real time. he has no choice but to honor it. seriously osi are you really going to sit out this year if we dont pay or trade you? no way. he'd get crap for contract offers the following year after sitting out and showing no heart on top of that. 1 more good year and then take your 3 year deal somewhere else to finish your career. peace.