+ Reply to Thread

REESE SAYS NOTHING PERSONAL WITH UMENYIORA OR ANY PLAYER

REESE SAYS NOTHING PERSONAL WITH UMENYIORA OR ANY PLAYER

"On Monday, listeners sat through Mike Francesa's long interview with Jerry
    Reese on WFAN only to come away having heard zero questions about Osi Umenyiora,
    who claimed on Sunday night Reese and the Giants offered him half of the guarantees
    they gave Mathias Kiwanuka and were making
    him look like a "greedy pig."

Today, in an interview with Ryan Ruocco and Stephen A. Smith on 98.7 ESPN
    Radio, the subject of Umenyiora's situation finally came up. And while he wasn't
    asked about the specifics, such as the guaranteed money, Reese did address the
    situation by
    reiterating many of the same things he said on Saturday
    in his post-draft
    presser.

"Iím not going to discuss Osiís contract situation with you guys. I can say
    this to you, though: the New York Giants are a better football team with Osi
    Umenyiora on our team," Reese said when Ruocco asked him if he has the urge to
    "throw (Umenyiora) a bone" for his years of production. "We respect him as a
    football player. Our goal is to have Osi play football with the New York Giants
    and retire as a Giant. That is what we would like to do first. All of our
    options are open as I have said before but Osi makes us a better football team,
    I do know that."

At that point, Smith interjected by serving less as questioner and more as
    judge and jury in asking Reese how he responded to "some of the erroneous things
    that came out of his mouth" about Reese.

(Pauses to remind everyone none of the accusations Umenyiora has made, including those in
    the affidavit
    , have been proven or disproven. Continuing...)

"I donít carry grudges. That is the offseason, that is part of the job,"
    Reese said. "In the offseason there is always some controversy about contracts.
    It is not just one person, it can be several different people with contract
    situations. That is part of my job, it is never personal, I donít think it is
    personal with respect to players and it definitely is not personal with respect
    to me. It is just part of the business."

Reese continued, "We will get through this and we will see what happens
    moving forward. It is part of the business. It is not a big problem for me to
    have guys say some things. I think sometimes some people say things that they
    obviously really donít mean. Everybody is trying to make as much money as they
    can for themselves and their families and everybody understands that and it is
    not personal."

A few other quotes from Reese from the interview:

On WR Victor Cruz possibly on "Dancing with the Stars" one
    day:
    "Victor looks like he is a pretty good dancer. Funny you should
    say that, I was kind of buzzing through the TV last night and I saw some of that
    and I saw Donald Driver, Donald is pretty good. I think Victor would be good on
    that. Victor is a smart guy. I think Victor wants to focus on football more than
    anything else right now. He had one good year. One good year donít make you a
    great football player. It means you had one good year. And he is a smart young
    man and I think he wants to focus on what is most important and that is
    football. I think he is doing the right thing. Maybe at some point later on his
    career he may be able to do that but right now I think he is focusing on trying
    to be a good football player."

On QB Eli Manning hosting Saturday Night Live this
    week:
    "Yeah, I think I have to tune into that. I donít ever watch that
    show but I think I am going to tune in to check this out. He is a funny guy. You
    guys are not around him that much but he can be pretty funny."

On whether the running game will be better this year: "I
    hope so. People say this is a passing league. I still think you have to run the
    ball in this league. We ran the ball pretty good at times. But we are the
    giants, I donít think we are ever going to go all the way from [running to] we
    are a passing team. I think we like to run the ball first and play-action pass,
    that is who we are but it is really nice to have a quarterback who if you have
    to throw 40 times, the guy can do it and do a good job. That is a good product
    to have in your system."

ďNever argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.Ē MB Rule # 1

# 80

Re: REESE SAYS NOTHING PERSONAL WITH UMENYIORA OR ANY PLAYER

I'm on Reese's side in this, but he pretty much ***** slapped Osi with that Kiwi contract.[]

[quote user="FBomb"]I'm on Reese's side in this, but he pretty much ***** slapped Osi with that Kiwi contract.[][/quote]

Not knowing how the offers were structured we really can't say that. BUT, Kiwanuka is more versatile than Osi in that he can, and has, play two different positions and play them well.

I think we can safely say Reese will not overpay a player. That was true of Steve Smith, Kevin Boss, Barry Cofield , Ross, etc.

I think there is so much more that goes into what players a team keeps than we will ever know. Speaking only for me, the malcontents would go to the back of the line.
    ďNever argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.Ē MB Rule # 1

# 80

Veteran

[quote user="RoanokeFan"][quote user="FBomb"]I'm on Reese's side in this, but he pretty much ***** slapped Osi with that Kiwi contract.[][/quote]

Not knowing how the offers were structured we really can't say that.* BUT, Kiwanuka is more versatile than Osi in that he can, and has, play two different positions and play them well.

I think we can safely say Reese will not overpay a player.* That was true of Steve Smith, Kevin Boss, Barry Cofield ,* Ross, etc.

I think there is so much more that goes into what players a team keeps than we will ever know.* Speaking only for me, the malcontents would go to the back of the line.
    [/quote]

So you're telling me that a guy who averages a sack a game is less valuable than a guy who can play LB and DE?

Come on man, eff versatility, I want a turnover and Kiwi isn't in the same class as Osi when it comes to rushing the passer.

[quote user="Coach Carter"][quote user="RoanokeFan"][quote user="FBomb"]I'm on Reese's side in this, but he pretty much ***** slapped Osi with that Kiwi contract.[][/quote]

Not knowing how the offers were structured we really can't say that. BUT, Kiwanuka is more versatile than Osi in that he can, and has, play two different positions and play them well.

I think we can safely say Reese will not overpay a player. That was true of Steve Smith, Kevin Boss, Barry Cofield , Ross, etc.

I think there is so much more that goes into what players a team keeps than we will ever know. Speaking only for me, the malcontents would go to the back of the line.
    [/quote]

So you're telling me that a guy who averages a sack a game is less valuable than a guy who can play LB and DE?

Come on man, eff versatility, I want a turnover and Kiwi isn't in the same class as Osi when it comes to rushing the passer.[/quote]

Osi plays behind to other defensive ends. Why would that be?

I wasn't comparing Osi to Kiwanuka in terms of playing DE.

# 80

Veteran

[quote user="RoanokeFan"][quote user="Coach Carter"][quote user="RoanokeFan"][quote user="FBomb"]I'm on Reese's side in this, but he pretty much ***** slapped Osi with that Kiwi contract.[][/quote]

Not knowing how the offers were structured we really can't say that.* BUT, Kiwanuka is more versatile than Osi in that he can, and has, play two different positions and play them well.

I think we can safely say Reese will not overpay a player.* That was true of Steve Smith, Kevin Boss, Barry Cofield ,* Ross, etc.

I think there is so much more that goes into what players a team keeps than we will ever know.* Speaking only for me, the malcontents would go to the back of the line.
    [/quote]

Come on man, eff versatility, I want a turnover and Kiwi isn't in the same class as Osi when it comes to rushing the passer.[/quote]

Osi plays behind to other defensive ends.* Why would that be?

I wasn't comparing Osi to Kiwanuka in terms of playing DE.
    [/quote]

Osi played behind three defensive ends, Strahan, Tuck and JPP and I will explain why.

All three are going to or have the ability to go to the hall of fame.

So you're comparing an A to an A+.

Kiwi isn't an A end or linebacker.

It is like saying Pepper Johnson was more valuable than Lawrence Taylor (in 1992) because Pepper could play LB and DE but LT could only rush the passer and just went upfield on most plays.

All-Pro

Kiwi is a very good player and does what is asked of him.

He has also never had the luxury of playing at just one position to master it like Osi. Not hating on Osi, but Kiwi is a tremendous athlete who is a great team player.

Good signing by Reese.

All-Pro

to take the Kiwi vs. Osi angle

Kiwi is 2 years younger, so both contracts expire when the players are roughly 32 years old

Osi's contract was signed 6 years ago when the market was less than it is now and that is the main reason for the $$ diff.

finally, clearly Osi and the Giants are far apart, so real negotiations dont seem possible ... whereas, Kiwi and the Giants werent that far apart and Kiwi's agent has probably wisely played up the pass rusher angle and Osi's likely departure after next season