+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

GIANTS' JERRY REESE SAYS DAVID WILSON WAS TOP PICK

GIANTS' JERRY REESE SAYS DAVID WILSON WAS TOP PICK

"New York Giants general manager
    Jerry Reese quashed speculation that the Super Bowl champions missed out on
    Boise State running back Doug Martin when the Tampa Bay Buccaneers moved
    up to take him with the previous pick in the first round of the NFL draft.

"There's been some conjecture that Tampa had moved up in front of us and took
    Martin," Reese told WFAN Radio on Tuesday. "That's not true ... Martin would not
    have been our pick."

The Giants selected Virginia Tech running back David Wilson with the 32nd
    pick, one choice after the Bucs took Martin, leading
    analysts to speculate
    that Tampa Bay jumped in front to nab the player New
    York really wanted.

"First of all, (Wilson) was the highest player on our board at the time that
    we picked," Reese said. "That was an easy pick for us. It was a value and a need
    pick for us, we thought."

Reese said Martin was considered for their first-round pick but eventually
    was rated lower than a few other players, including Wilson.

Reese added that Ahmad Bradshaw will
    continue to be the Giants' top back and that they wanted to get another runner
    after losing Brandon Jacobs in free
    agency.

Bradshaw has embraced
    Wilson
    , saying he will treat him as his "project."

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Re: GIANTS' JERRY REESE SAYS DAVID WILSON WAS TOP PICK

In his interview after that picked he admitted that Wilson was his second choice. Not picking on JR, but he is doing the devils dance :-)

He never said Wilson was his second choice. He said Wilson was the second highest rated back on their board in the draft.
    Engage brain before speaking.

Veteran

[quote user="logan9839"]In his interview after that picked he admitted that Wilson was his second choice. Not picking on JR, but he is doing the devils dance :-)[/quote]

He clearly meant 2nd after Richardson, not Martin. I don't think we'll ever know who was really higher on our board. FWIW I will say that I'm glad we got Wilson.

Even though you should always be skeptical of what a GM says (especially around draft time), Reese's previous record speaks for himself. Wilson does have superior measurables over Martin and we know that Reese is a guy who values natural, physical attributes like long arms, good frame, and backflips.

[quote user="TheEnigma"]Even though you should always be skeptical of what a GM says (especially around draft time), Reese's previous record speaks for himself. Wilson does have superior measurables over Martin and we know that Reese is a guy who values natural, physical attributes like long arms, good frame, and backflips .[/quote] lmao.

martin may be the more ready nfl back and a more all around back right now...but wilson has elite measurables...in that regard martins not even in wilsons league

They might have had Wilson ahead of Martin, but I don't think Wilson was as easy of a pick to make as Reese makes it seem like it was.

If that was the case we wouldn't have been on the clock as long as we were. We basically used every single second of the clock before making the final decision, leading me to believe it was a tough decision and there were a few guys in the conversation. Or maybe the report is actually true and Tampa threw our draft room in a fit, I guess we'll never know.

[quote user="egyptian420"]They might have had Wilson ahead of Martin, but I don't think Wilson was as easy of a pick to make as Reese makes it seem like it was.

If that was the case we wouldn't have been on the clock as long as we were. We basically used every single second of the clock before making the final decision, leading me to believe it was a tough decision and there were a few guys in the conversation. Or maybe the report is actually true and Tampa threw our draft room in a fit, I guess we'll never know.
    [/quote]

they were apparently torn between wilson and randle...somehow they got both

Veteran

[quote user="egyptian420"]They might have had Wilson ahead of Martin, but I don't think Wilson was as easy of a pick to make as Reese makes it seem like it was.

[/quote]

That makes no sense to me at all, there should never be anything to think about in the 1st round, you take the highest player on your board and that's that. You have months to think about who is ranked higher than who, you don't start arguing when you're on the clock. The only thing you should be doing at that point is maybe trying to work a trade.