+ Reply to Thread

NEWS, NOTES, RUMORS, AND GOSSIP: WEDNESDAY, MAY 2, 2012 - 4:02 P.M.

HERE NOW THE NEWS

NEWS
    ARTICLES ABOUT THE NEW YORK FOOTBALL GIANTS ARE POSTED DAILY AND
    UPDATES ARE ADDED THROUGHOUT THE DAY. GENERAL SPORTS NEWS LINKS ARE
    ALSO INCLUDED.

Cobravision

NEWARK STAR LEDGER

REESE PUTS POSITIVE SPIN ON OSI SPAT

"It’s not personal, Jerry Reese insisted.
    It’s only business, no matter how ugly his feud with angry Osi
    Umenyiora
    gets.

That was the reaction by the Giants GM to essentially being called a liar by
    Umeyiora for the second offseason in a row. In an interview on ESPN Radio 98.7
    FM Tuesday, Reese dismissed the defensive end’s sharp words as “offseason
    chatter.”

That’s exactly what he called it last summer, too.

“I don’t carry grudges,” Reese insisted. “That’s the offseason. That’s part
    of the job. In the offseason there’s always some controversies about contracts.
    It’s never personal. I don’t think it’s personal with respect to players. It’s
    definitely not personal with respect to me. It’s just part of the business.”

It’s been a dirty business between Reese and Umenyiora, though, as the
    defensive end continues his years-long battle for a lucrative contract
    extension. After several years of threatening to hold out or even retire,
    Umenyiora began making his fight personal in 2011 when he swore in a court
    affidavit that Reese reneged on a promise to give him a new contract or to trade
    him.

He turned his sights on Reese again on Sunday, one day after the GM insisted
    that Umenyiora had twice rejected contract extension offers from the Giants. In
    an email to the Daily News, Umenyiora questioned Reese’s grasp of the facts,
    said the offers were insignificant, and said
    it was “hilarious” that Reese was making him “look like a greedy pig for turning
    it down."

Umenyiora also hinted at more battles to come. In fact, one source close to
    the angry end said he is contemplating skipping the Giants’ mandatory, full-team
    minicamp in mid-June and he may eventually demand a trade from the Giants.

Reese, as he did on Saturday, said “all of our options are open” with
    Umenyiora, but he reiterated he still hopes to find some way to make their
    disintegrating marriage work.

“The New York Giants, we’re a better football team with Osi Umenyiora on our
    team,” Reese said. “We respect him as a football player. So our goal is to have
    Osi play football for the New York Giants and retire as a Giant. That’s what
    we’d like to do first.

“But all of our options are open like I said before.”

Umenyiora said the Giants have offered him a contract extension, but he
    insisted they only offered about $5.5 million in guaranteed money — or about
    one-third of what he’s looking for, along with a multi-year deal that will pay
    him an average of more than $10 million per season. He is due to make $3.975
    million this season in the final year of a seven-year, $41 million contract
    extension he signed in 2005.

The next move appears to be Umenyiora’s, and he promised in his email that it
    could be “interesting.”

Reese, for his part, promised “We’ll get through this.” That may depend on
    what Umenyiora does, or says, next.

“It’s not a big problem for me to have guys say some things,” Reese said. “I
    think sometimes people say things that obviously they really don’t mean. But
    everybody is trying to make as much money as they can for themselves and their
    families. Everybody understands that. It’s not
    personal.”

REESE SAYS NOTHING PERSONAL WITH UMENYIORA OR ANY PLAYER

"On Monday, listeners sat through Mike Francesa's long interview with Jerry
    Reese on WFAN only to come away having heard zero questions about Osi Umenyiora,
    who claimed on Sunday night Reese and the Giants offered him half of the guarantees
    they gave Mathias Kiwanuka and were making
    him look like a "greedy pig."

Today, in an interview with Ryan Ruocco and Stephen A. Smith on 98.7 ESPN
    Radio, the subject of Umenyiora's situation finally came up. And while he wasn't
    asked about the specifics, such as the guaranteed money, Reese did address the
    situation by
    reiterating many of the same things he said on Saturday
    in his post-draft
    presser.

"I’m not going to discuss Osi’s contract situation with you guys. I can say
    this to you, though: the New York Giants are a better football team with Osi
    Umenyiora on our team," Reese said when Ruocco asked him if he has the urge to
    "throw (Umenyiora) a bone" for his years of production. "We respect him as a
    football player. Our goal is to have Osi play football with the New York Giants
    and retire as a Giant. That is what we would like to do first. All of our
    options are open as I have said before but Osi makes us a better football team,
    I do know that."

At that point, Smith interjected by serving less as questioner and more as
    judge and jury in asking Reese how he responded to "some of the erroneous things
    that came out of his mouth" about Reese.

(Pauses to remind everyone none of the accusations Umenyiora has made, including those in
    the affidavit
    , have been proven or disproven. Continuing...)

"I don’t carry grudges. That is the offseason, that is part of the job,"
    Reese said. "In the offseason there is always some controversy about contracts.
    It is not just one person, it can be several different people with contract
    situations. That is part of my job, it is never personal, I don’t think it is
    personal with respect to players and it definitely is not personal with respect
    to me. It is just part of the business."

Reese continued, "We will get through this and we will see what happens
    moving forward. It is part of the business. It is not a big problem for me to
    have guys say some things. I think sometimes some people say things that they
    obviously really don’t mean. Everybody is trying to make as much money as they
    can for themselves and their families and everybody understands that and it is
    not personal."

A few other quotes from Reese from the interview:

On WR Victor Cruz possibly on "Dancing with the Stars" one
    day:
    "Victor looks like he is a pretty good dancer. Funny you should
    say that, I was kind of buzzing through the TV last night and I saw some of that
    and I saw Donald Driver, Donald is pretty good. I think Victor would be good on
    that. Victor is a smart guy. I think Victor wants to focus on football more than
    anything else right now. He had one good year. One good year don’t make you a
    great football player. It means you had one good year. And he is a smart young
    man and I think he wants to focus on what is most important and that is
    football. I think he is doing the right thing. Maybe at some point later on his
    career he may be able to do that but right now I think he is focusing on trying
    to be a good football player."

On QB Eli Manning hosting Saturday Night Live this
    week:
    "Yeah, I think I have to tune into that. I don’t ever watch that
    show but I think I am going to tune in to check this out. He is a funny guy. You
    guys are not around him that much but he can be pretty funny."

On whether the running game will be better this year: "I
    hope so. People say this is a passing league. I still think you have to run the
    ball in this league. We ran the ball pretty good at times. But we are the
    giants, I don’t think we are ever going to go all the way from [running to] we
    are a passing team. I think we like to run the ball first and play-action pass,
    that is who we are but it is really nice to have a quarterback who if you have
    to throw 40 times, the guy can do it and do a good job. That is a good product
    to have in your system."

http://www.nj.com/giants/

NY DAILY NEWS

REESE WON'T TAKE OSI'S RIPS PERSONAL

"It’s not personal, Jerry Reese insisted. It’s only business.

No matter
    how ugly his feud with angry Osi Umenyiora gets.

That was the reaction
    by the Giants GM to essentially being called a liar by Umeyiora for the second
    offseason in a row. In an interview on ESPN Radio in New York on Tuesday, Reese
    dismissed the defensive end’s sharp words as “offseason chatter”.

That’s
    exactly what he called it last summer, too.

“I don’t carry grudges,”
    Reese insisted. “That’s the offseason. That’s part of the job. In the offseason
    there’s always some controversies about contracts. It’s never personal. I don’t
    think it’s personal with respect to players. It’s definitely not personal with
    respect to me. It’s just part of the business.”

It’s been a dirty
    business between Reese and Umenyiora, though, as the defensive end continues his
    years-long battle for a lucrative contract extension. After several years of
    threatening to holdout or even retire, Umenyiora began making his fight personal
    in 2011 when he swore in a court affidavit that Reese reneged on a promise to
    give him a new contract or to trade him.

He turned his sights on Reese
    again on Sunday, one day after the GM
    insisted that Umenyiora had twice rejected contract extension offers
    from
    the Giants. In an email to the Daily News, Umenyiora questioned Reese’s grasp of
    the facts, said the offers were insignificant, and said it was “hilarious” that
    Reese was making
    him “look like a greedy pig for turning it down.”

Umenyiora also
    hinted at more battles to come. In fact, one source close to the angry end said
    he is contemplating skipping the Giants’ mandatory, full-team minicamp in
    mid-June and he may eventually demand a trade from the Giants.

Reese, as
    he did on Saturday, said “all of our options are open” with Umenyiora, but he
    reiterated he still hopes to find some way to make their disintegrating marriage
    work.

“The New York Giants, we’re a better football team with Osi
    Umenyiora on our team,” Reese said. “We respect him as a football player. So our
    goal is to have Osi play football for the New York Giants and retire as a Giant.
    That’s what we’d like to do first.

“But all of our options are open like
    I said before.”

Umenyiora said the Giants have offered him a contract
    extension, but he insisted they only offered about $5.5 million in guaranteed
    money – or about one-third of what he’s looking for, along with a multi-year
    deal that will pay him an average of more than $10 million per season. He is due
    to make $3.975 million this season in the last year of a seven-year, $41 million
    contract extension he signed in 2005.

The next move appears to be
    Umenyiora’s, and he promised in his email that it could be
    “interesting.”

Reese, for his part, promised “We’ll get through this.”
    That may depend on what Umenyiora does – or says – next.

“It’s not a big
    problem for me to have guys say some things,” Reese said. “I think sometimes
    people say things that obviously they really don’t mean. But everybody is trying
    to make as much money as they can for themselves and their families. Everybody
    understands that. It’s not personal.”

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giant

NY POST

GIANTS' QB BACKS NFL SUSPENSIONS OF SAINTS

"There might be some outcry from NFL players after commissioner Roger Goodell
    lowered the boom with severe penalties to four Saints players for their
    participation in the team’s bounty program scandal, but there will be no outcry
    from Eli Manning.

The Giants quarterback is in lockstep with Goodell that there is no place in
    the game for bounties and those who were involved had to be severely
    punished.

Jonathan Vilma, the Saints Pro Bowl linebacker, was
    suspended for the entire 2012 season
    . Former Saints defensive end Anthony
    Hargrove, now with the Packers, received an eight-game ban and Saints defensive
    end Will Smith will be forced to sit out four games.

The league also suspended current Browns linebacker Scott Fujita, who played
    in New Orleans from 2006-2009, for three games. All players have been suspended
    without pay.

“I think what Roger Goodell has done, he’s been harsh on this whole bounty
    thing, on the Saints and the coaches and the players,’’ Manning said on
    Wednesday on a conference call promoting his hosting appearance on “Saturday
    Night Live’’ this weekend. “I think he’s doing the right thing to make sure this
    doesn’t happen ever again. There’s no room for any sort of bounty system in the
    NFL, it’s a physical sport and you got to respect the game. I think he’s been
    harsh to try to prove and make a statement there is no place for this in the
    game of football.’’

##

http://www.nypost.com/sports/giants

ELI "ANXIOUS" ABOUT SNL GIG

"New York Giants
    quarterback Eli Manning
    participated Wednesday in a press conference to promote his appearance this
    weekend as host of 'Saturday Night Live.' Eli's brother Peyton hosted the show
    several years ago and drew raves for his performance.

Which is the funnier Manning. SNL executive producer Lorne Michaels said "we
    won't really know that until Saturday."

Manning did admit that he bypassed an offer to host SNL after winning his
    first Super Bowl partially because it was right after Peyton's highly-acclaimed
    effort, and that he is "anxious" about hosting the show.

Manning said that both his brother and John Madden, who hosted several years
    ago, have told him to "just enjoy the week."

Eli's teammates know him as a prankster, and while I can't see him being
    completely hilarious or at ease doing the show I think his SNL appearance might
    be more fun than you might anticipate.

Eli has already filmed several trailers for the show. Here is a look"

GIANTS' ELI MANNING, TRAVIS BECKUM REACT TO BOUNTYGATE SUSPENSIONS

"The NFL handed down
    suspensions for players involved in Bountygate on Wednesday morning, including a
    historic 16-game ban for New Orleans Saints linebacker Jonathan Vilma. In
    addition to Vilma, defensive lineman Anthony Hardgrove, now with the Green Bay
    Packers, has been suspended for eight games, defensive end Will Smith has been
    suspended for four games and linebacker Scott Fujita, now with the Cleveland
    Browns, has been suspended for three games. All players are expected to appeal
    their suspension.

While taking part in a conference call to help promote his upcoming appearance on Saturday Night Live, New York
    Giants quarterback Eli Manning was asked to give his thoughts on the Bountygate
    suspensions. As you might expect, Manning was in full support of the NFL
    Commissioner.

"[Roger Goodell] is doing the right thing to make sure that this doesn’t
    happen ever again," Manning said.

Shortly after Eli's call, and mixed in amidst the angry tweets from Saints
    players, Big Blue tight end Travis Beckum took to Twitter to share his own
    personal, yet indirect, thoughts on the situation.

"The Giants are a class organization. We play by the rules and are taught to
    play as men! It's not a coincidence we are Super Bowl champs," he tweeted.

Finally, former Giants running back Tiki Barber shared his .02 on the
    suspensions and Bountygate as a whole.

"Funded malicious intent and violation of the sanctity of the brotherhood of
    players is core to egregiousness of Saints bounty program," Barber tweeted. "Pay for performance is ok … pay to end a
    game/season/career is not – but if it happens in the natural course of the
    brutality, it's okay."

Although most seem to agree that some sort of punishment needed to be handed
    down, a season-long suspension was commonly referred to as "over the top." Some,
    like Giants wide receiver Ramses Barden, went as far as to say "It's going to be
    a long time before Roger Goodell makes it back on anybody's Christmas list."

##

ELI MANNING'S SNL PROMO RELEASED

"If you haven't heard, New York Giants quarterback and two-time Super Bowl MVP
    Eli
    Manning
    will be hosting Saturday Night Live on Saturday, May 5th. On Tuesday
    night, the first promo for the show was released, and … well, Eli was pretty
    darn funny.

Manning had previously turned down requests from NBC to host Saturday Night Live, fearing it would interfere with his
    offseason work. However, after careful consideration and planning, Easy-E
    decided to give it a go after concluding that it wouldn't cause him to shuffle
    his routine.

"This will be a new experience for me. I’m a little nervous about it, but
    excited also. It should be a lot of fun. It will take some work, but it should
    be something I’ll always remember," Manning said in mid-April.

Like Eli had done several previous times, Green
    Bay Packers
    quarterback Aaron
    Rodgers
    recently declined an invite to host the show for similar reasons.

"I have been invited. I want to do it right and the commitment that it takes,
    in my opinion to do it the right way, was just too much for me this offseason,"
    Rodgers said. "I will be doing that in the future and look forward to the
    opportunity. NBC has been great to me and I'll look forward to getting on there.
    Peyton set the bar pretty high and it'll be interesting to see Eli this week to
    see if he can live up to his brother's appearance."

Set your DVR's, folks. Something tells me Eli will be every bit as funny as
    Peyton."

WHAT ELEMENTS TO DAVID WILSON AND RUEBEN RANDLE BRING TO THE GIANTS?

"The New York
    Giants
    added two new weapons to their offensive attack in the first two
    rounds of the 2012 NFL Draft in
    running back David
    Wilson
    of Virginia Tech and wide receiver Rueben
    Randle
    of LSU. The two will help offset the losses of Mario
    Manningham
    and Brandon
    Jacobs
    to free agency, but also represent a change in both the Giants
    passing offense and running game.

Today on Giants 101, we look at the elements Eli Manning's newest weapons
    bring to the Giants attack.

WR Rueben
    Randle
    vs WR Mario
    Manningham

While Rueben
    Randle
    and Mario
    Manningham
    do share a common trait in their crafty route running, Randle is
    a very different receiver than Manningham and brings a different skill set to
    the table for the G-Men. Nicks and Cruz are the clear number one and number two
    receiving options for Manning and the New York passing game, but Randle is likely to step in
    and take over Manningham's role as the number three option on the outside (Cruz
    will likely remain in the slot on the majority of the snaps, where he is at his
    best).

Manningham was a real vertical threat on the outside who was at his best
    working the sideline and taking advantage of one on one opportunities over the
    top. He's elusive and has very good stop and start moves in the open field to
    create extra yardage in space, but wasn't a guy who was going to run through
    tacklers or create much after initial contact.

Rueben
    Randle
    is more in the mold of an Anquan Boldin or Hakeem Nicks(although
    Nicks is a more explosive athlete and puts more pressure on defenses vertically
    in addition to his physical play over the middle and underneath), and brings a
    bigger target to the table for Manning. He's a tall, long athlete who will be a
    big threat in the red zone with his size, body control, and ability to snatch
    the football
    out of the air. Whereas the majority of Manningham's touchdowns came on fade
    routes to the pylon or on 30 and 40 yard throws, Randle is a guy who can catch
    the ball in traffic, win a jump ball, or catch the ball at the six yard line and
    drag a defender into the end zone.

RB David
    Wilson
    vs RB Brandon
    Jacobs

Again, these are two players that are very different in the physical traits
    and skill set they bring to an offense. David
    Wilson
    is an electric runner, who is physical and powerful in his style, but
    is also very capable of breaking a 60 to 70 yard run anytime the football is
    in his hands.

Brandon
    Jacobs
    was obviously known for his size and the intimidation factor he
    brought to the Giants backfield. He was difficult to bring down with a head of
    steam and it often took multiple tacklers to get Jacobs to the ground.

Wilson is a smaller back but compares favorably to DeAngelo Williams and Tiki
    Barber. He's tough and competitive and looks to break out of tackles, but also
    has that rare acceleration to beat cornerbacks and safeties to the end zone once
    he gets to the outside. Wilson also brings a receiving threat out of the
    backfield with his soft hands and ability to make big plays in the screen game,
    something we didn't see nearly as much with Jacobs in his time as a Giant.

OVERALL IMPACT

In the end, the Giants kind of swapped speed and big play ability from the
    passing game to the running game. They have gotten substantially more explosive
    in their running back group, while adding more size and physicality to their
    receiving core.

The receiving threat and big play ability on screens Wilson brings to the New York
    backfield should help New York negate some of the blitzes and heavy pass rush
    they will see with their reshuffled offensive line next season, as he is
    certainly capable of making defenses pay on the back end with open field space
    in front of him.

In the passing game, the Giants have become a little more difficult to
    contend with inside of the twenty, as Randle is another big body that operates
    well in traffic and can win the football in tight spaces(not to mention their addition
    of MartellusBennett earlier in the off-season at tight end)."

http://www.giants101.com/

BIG BLUE VIEW

NY GIANTS' NEWS AND NOTES> POST-DRAFT HUMP DAY EDITION

"Good morning fellow Giants fans. Well, I guess the draft is in the rear view
    mirror and there won't be much to talk about for a few weeks, save for our buddy
    Osi Umenyiora
    who seems to be keeping the Giants Google alerts bubbling at a slow simmer. And
    since it's Hump Day, let's have a look at our Hump Day calendar--yes, only 18
    weeks until the start of the NFL season. You just read that correctly. You are
    just a few days hanging out by the pool and about 36 cases of beer away from
    kickoff. What, 36 isn't enough? Anyway, let's see what else is happening around
    Osi's team...." Read more...

GIANTS' UDFA REVIEW: IS THERE A VICTOR CRUZ I THIS YEAR'S CROP?

"Is there a Victor Cruz
    among the 10 undrafted free agents the New York Giants
    signed following the conclusion of the 2012 NFL Draft? Let's take a brief look
    at each UDFA who will be trying to earn a spot with the Giants in 2012.

Janzen Jackson, S, McNeese State

Janzen was dismissed from University of Tennesee football program last
    summer after reportedly failing multiple drug tests. Giants general manager
    Jerry Reese is not put off by those trangressions, saying Monday on WFAN that
    "we've had some success with guys like that."

Scouting Report: "Jackson was immediately productive as a
    freshman in Tennessee and watched his game take off before being dismissed from
    the program. He possesses the underlying skills to be used at a variety of
    positions in the defensive secondary and could develop into a starting
    cornerback in the NFL if he turns up the intensity against the run and stays
    away from off field distractions."

Does he have a chance? It would certainly seem like it. The Giants
    listed the 5-foot111/2, 181-pound Jackson as a safety, though he seems small for
    that position. Could the practice squad be a possibility if he flashes some
    talent and keeps himself out of trouble?

Matt Broha, DE, Louisiana Tech

A four-year starter at Louisiana Tech with some pass-rush skills, and
    possibly the versatility to get a look at outside linebacker. He had 23.5 sacks
    the past two seasons.

Scouting Report: "Broha was productive on the college level
    and has quietly been one of the better pass rushers in the nation. He offers a
    variety of skill and his approach to the game will help him catch on as a backup
    at defensive end, pass rush linebacker or even tight end."

Does he have a chance? The Giants love pass-rushers, and that is what
    Broha is. If he can show the ability to get to the quarterback against NFL
    linemen then, sure, he has a shot.

David Douglas, WR, Arizona

Highly productive his last two seasons with 52 and 65 catches. A 6-foot,
    200-pound possession type receiver.

Scouting Report: "Douglas does the little things well at his
    position and offers possibilities as a fifth receiver/special teams player for
    an NFL team."

Does he have a chance? A slim one, maybe. Cruz, Hakeem Nicks,
    Rueben Randle, Jerrel
    Jernigan
    , Ramses Barden
    and Domenik Hixon
    are all in front of him. The Giants would seem set, but you never know. Hixon
    might get hurt again or just not have much left. The Giants could get tired of
    waiting for Barden, too, and that could open a spot.

Adewale Ojomo, DE, Miami

Another guy looked at as a defensive end/ linebacker 'tweener (6-ffot-3, 260)
    with some pass-rush potential. Not as productive collegiately as Broha.

Scouting Report: "Ojomo was a solid college player who
    possesses a linebacker?s body with defensive lineman speed. He offers
    possibilities as a one-gap pass rushing end brought onto the field during
    third-and-long situations."

Does he have a chance? Probably about the same shot as Broha.

Julian Talley, WR, UMass

Talley, of course, comes from the same school Cruz attended and plays the
    same position. So, there will be natural comparisons. Can he justify them, or
    come anywhere close to doing so?

Scouting Report: "Could be worth a pick late, but at worst
    looks likes a priority FA who should be able to fight for a roster spot if he
    can continue to improve his hands."

Does he have a chance? As I said before, the wide receiver spot seems
    pretty crowded right now. I hate to hear about wide receivers who need to
    improve their hands, but you never know what can happen when he gets to
    camp.

Jojo Nicolas, S, Miami

Nicolas comes out of Miami, which has produced many great NFL safeties over
    the years. He does not seem to be in that stratosphere, though.

Scouting Report: "Nicolas is an underrated safety prospect who
    displays good instincts on the field and is effective in all areas of the game.
    He possesses ordinary size/speed numbers yet has the ability to be used as a
    nickel safety in a variety of systems at the next level. Effective on special
    teams for the hurricanes, Nicolas should also be an asset on coverage
    units."

Does he have a chance? The Giants are thin at safety, and Nicolas
    might have a chance to impress on special teams. Maybe a practice squad
    possibility if he plays well.

Damian Davis, WR, Mary Hardin-Baylor

Davis was dismissed from the Oklahoma State football team back in 2009 for a
    violation of team rules. He ended at someplace called Mary Hardin-Baylor, a
    Division III school, and I can't find out much more than the fact that he is
    6-foot-5, 185 pounds.

Does he have a chance? Not likely.

Stephen Goodin, OL, Nebraska-Kearney

Goodin is a 6-foot-6, 310-pound player out of Division II with a huge
    transition in front of him if he hopes to make it to the NFL. Goodin was a guard
    for Nebraska-Kearney.

Does he have a chance? Well, Rich Seubert
    had a long career with the Giants after being an undrafted free agent. So,
    anything is possible.

De'Angelo McCray, G, Memphis

He is a 6-foot-4, 336-pound guy who you would have to think has a chance to
    be a quality run blocker.

Does he have a chance? Maybe as a developmental player on the practice
    squad if he shows anything on the field.

Joe Martinek, RB, Rutgers

The Giants say they were surprised the former
    Scarlet Knight went undrafted. He seems like somewhat of a 'tweener, not big
    enough to be a fullback and not fast enough (4.65) to be a tailback.

Scouting Report: Martinek was moderately productive in a
    variety of ways on the college level. The ability to carry the ball, catch it
    out of the backfield and be used as a blocker could help catch on as a fourth
    back in the NFL.

Does he have a chance? Why not? Martinek has
    a variety of skills even though it doesn't seem he would do anything
    exceptionally well. Maybe he can hook on as a practice squad guy."

http://www.bigblueview.com/section/news

INSIDE FOOTBALL

FORMER RUTGERS' FULLBACK MARTINEK HOPES TO CATCH ON WITH THE GIANTS

"While growing up in Hopatcong, New Jersey, football quickly became a staple
    of former Rutgers fullback Joe Martinek’s outdoor
    activities.

“I always loved the competition,” he said of the sport that he hopes to make
    his vocation. “With football, every year I tried to challenge myself to get
    better, and I was trying to find new ways of getting into the end zone without
    getting touched.”

Martinek, 6-0 and 224 lbs., will soon get his opportunity to continue
    challenging himself when he tries to impress the New York Giants’ coaching staff
    starting next week when the team welcomes its draft and rookie class to its
    three-day mini camp.

Martinek, who finished his high school career as the state’s all-time leading
    rusher with 7,589 yards, knows a thing or two about how hard work can pay
    dividends. Despite his very productive high school career, he was not heavily
    recruited. He enrolled in Rutgers, and, as it turned out, the experience was a
    good one for him because he was able to learn from Ray Rice,
    now with the Ravens.

“He was a huge influence,” Martinek said of Rice, whose last year at Rutgers
    was Martinek’s first. “Just seeing how he went about his business and trying to
    learn what to look for, what to expect, and the little details that come with
    this game from one of the best in college football at the time helped me.”

What also helped Martinek was his devotion to mastering the game and a
    selfless attitude. At Rutgers, he not only adapted his play to accommodate
    multiple offensive coordinators, he also converted from running back to fullback
    last year, a move that, while challenging, he quickly mastered.

“They switched me to fullback this past year because they had a running back
    recruit come in, and they had a couple of young running backs they wanted to
    use,” he said of the switch. “We had a new offensive coordinator coming in— he
    used the fullback a lot, and we didn’t have one.”

The switch also gave Martinek a new perspective of the game.

“It was different, getting in the two-point stance, and having to learn the
    blocking scheme more, but it gave me better insight into that part of the game,
    and it definitely helped me be more aware of what the defense was doing,” he
    said.

Despite a productive collegiate career that saw him carry the ball 391 times
    for 1,770 yards and 17 touchdowns, Martinek went undrafted. While disappointed,
    he was quickly able to see the silver lining.

“Once we got to the middle of the seventh round, I was hoping to get a chance
    to pick where I wanted to go because I could pick the best situation for me,” he
    said.

Martinek heard from four teams after the draft, including Tampa Bay, whose
    new head coach is Greg Schiano, the 23-year-old’s former head coach at Rutgers.
    Rather than reunite with Schiano, Martinek decided that the best situation for
    him was to join the Giants.

“The feeling that I got when I went to work out there a month ago – it was
    awesome,” he said of his visit to the Timex Performance Center. “The people that
    work there – the staff, the coaches, everyone — everything was so professional
    and done the right way.”

When he reports to the Giants a week from Friday to begin his quest for a
    roster spot with the defending Super Bowl champions, Martinek said he’s open to
    doing whatever the coaches ask of him.

Giants Director of College Scouting Marc Ross spoke highly
    of Martinek’s potential as well, saying. “He is just a gritty, hard-nosed
    football player. He worked out really well. He can really catch the ball. (He’s)
    a guy that you can throw in at any position there in the backfield and he will
    not miss a beat.”

Another thing that Martinek can do well is play special teams. “I pride
    myself on special teams. It’s a huge part of the game. I love running down on
    kickoffs and trying to make a tackle.”

He also hopes to get a chance to line up in the backfield on a few plays,
    though it’s not yet known where he might fit in yet given that he has
    Henry Hynoski ahead of him at fullback and five guys,
    including first rounder David Wilson and starter Ahmad
    Bradshaw
    , ahead of him on the depth chart at running back.

Despite the odds, Martinek, who admits to having “a pretty big chip” on his
    shoulder after going undrafted, is not about to back down from the challenge. He
    said that once he learns the team’s playbook, it’s just a matter of him putting
    it all together on the field.

“I think I have the ability to make the team, and make the team better. I
    just need to believe that I can do it, and go out there and know exactly what
    I’m doing so I can play at the top of my level.”

When he does get his opportunity to get on the field, Martinek hopes the
    Giants and the fans like what they see.

“I think they’re going to find a hard-working guy that’s going to come in
    from day one willing to do everything I can to make the team better,” he said.
    “I’m going to be prepared for every practice and every game. I’m going to try to
    make this opportunity into a special one because this is a huge opportunity for
    me, and I’m not about to let it go.”

http://www.insidefootball.com/

THE RED ZONE

http://www.theredzone.org/

GIANTS GAB

http://www.giantsgab.com/

GMEN HQ

http://gmenhq.com/

YARDBARKER"

http://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/teams/new_york_giants/56

SPORTING NEWS

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/stories

NYG REPORTER

http://nygreporter.com/

NFL.COM

GIANTS; JERRY REESE SAYS DAVID WILSON WAS TOP PICK

"New York Giants general manager
    Jerry Reese quashed speculation that the Super Bowl champions missed out on
    Boise State running back Doug Martin when the Tampa Bay Buccaneers moved
    up to take him with the previous pick in the first round of the NFL draft.

"There's been some conjecture that Tampa had moved up in front of us and took
    Martin," Reese told WFAN Radio on Tuesday. "That's not true ... Martin would not
    have been our pick."

The Giants selected Virginia Tech running back David Wilson with the 32nd
    pick, one choice after the Bucs took Martin, leading
    analysts to speculate
    that Tampa Bay jumped in front to nab the player New
    York really wanted.

"First of all, (Wilson) was the highest player on our board at the time that
    we picked," Reese said. "That was an easy pick for us. It was a value and a need
    pick for us, we thought."

Reese said Martin was considered for their first-round pick but eventually
    was rated lower than a few other players, including Wilson.

Reese added that Ahmad Bradshaw will
    continue to be the Giants' top back and that they wanted to get another runner
    after losing Brandon Jacobs in free
    agency.

Bradshaw has embraced
    Wilson
    , saying he will treat him as his "project."

http://www.nfl.com/teams/newyorkgiants/profile?team=NYG

YAHOOSPORTS

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl

FOX SPORTS

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/team/new-york-giants/67056

NBCSPORTS

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/3032875/ns/sports-nfl

CBSSPORTS

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/p...ew-york-giants

SI.COM

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/foo...ts/?eref=sinav

ESPN.COM

http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/nyg/new-york-giants

FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/

PRO FOOTBALL WEEKLY

http://stats.profootballweekly.com/team/giants/

PRO FOOTBALL FOCUS

http://www.profootballfocus.com/

MISCELLANEOUS

NFL STATEMENT ON BOUNTY PUNISHMENTS FOR 4 PLAYERS

VILMA'S STRONG STATEMENT WOULD HAVE BEEN MORE CONVINCING IN EARLY MARCH

BUCS SIGN FORMER RUTGERS' DT ERIC LEGRAND IN STORY THAT STILL INSPIRES

"
    The story of former Rutgers defensive tackle Eric LeGrand is a story about
    unenviable loss and heartwarming perseverance, and another chapter today was
    added by his old coach.

The Buccaneers announced
    Wednesday morning that they had signed LeGrand to a contract. Much like one of
    those one-day contracts for players who want to retire with a certain team, this
    contract is ceremonial. LeGrand won't play, but the gesture made by coach Greg
    Schiano, who coached LeGrand in college, is uplifting as LeGrand continues
    trying to put together his life.

LeGrand was paralyzed from the neck down
    in October 2010 when he suffered a neck injury while making a tackle against
    Army. But since then, he's become an inspiration.

Doctors told him he
    would be a quadriplegic for the rest of his life and that he would have to
    remain on a ventilator, but LeGrand began breathing on his own five weeks later.
    Since then, he's begun to feel sensation throughout his body, and he's tweeted
    pictures of himself standing upright as he tweeted out the following: “Standing
    tall, we can't fall. Standing upright again.”

Schiano obviously has a
    special place in his heart for LeGrand, who is planning to graduate next year
    with a degree in labor studies.

"Leading up to the draft, I couldn't help
    but think that this should've been Eric's draft class," said Schiano in a
    statement. "This small gesture is the least we could do to recognize his
    character, spirit, and perseverance. The way Eric lives his life epitomizes what
    we are looking for in Buccaneer Men."

In a teleconference Wednesday
    morning, LeGrand, who will not receive a salary from Tampa Bay, told reporters
    that he's living in a New Jersey apartment with his mother while waiting for his
    house -- which is being renovated to make it handicap accessible -- to be
    finished.

For now, he's going to therapy a couple times a week and
    arm-pedaling on a specially-made bike to continue his strength training. He's
    also been practicing sitting up without assistance, and he's up to 15 minutes by
    himself.

"That's a miracle," he said. "I'm not supposed to be doing any
    of this kind of stuff."

I asked LeGrand what his long-term goals are. Is
    walking a possibility?

“My goal is to walk," he said. "I know it's going
    to happen. I believe this happened for a reason. My goal is to get back on my
    feet. I'm going to keep on fighting. I don't know when it will happen, but down
    the road, it will happen. If you believe in the man upstairs, anything is legit
    to happen."

As the video below shows, when LeGrand led Rutgers onto the
    field last October, he continues to inspire, and today's news continue that
    journey for him.

And good for Schiano and the Tampa Bay
    organization. So much of the news in the offseason is made by those players who
    were arrested or by teams who were caught running bounty programs. Sometimes,
    it's just nice to write about good news. Even better that today it's LeGrand and
    a story that continues to inspire.

FORMER JETS' LB VILMA SUSPENDED FOR SEASON IN SAINTS' BOUNTY SCANDAL

NO SURPRISE THAT ROGER GOODELL PUNISHED PLAYERS SEVERELY

##

MATT SIMMS TO PARTICIPATE IN JETS' ROOKIE MINI-CAMP

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

Re: NEWS, NOTES, RUMORS, AND GOSSIP: WEDNESDAY, MAY 2, 2012 - 8:53 A.M.

Thanks for all of the news RF. It will be interesting to see if any of the undrafted free agents can make it.

[quote user="nygsb42champs"]Thanks for all of the news RF. It will be interesting to see if any of the undrafted free agents can make it.[/quote]

Looking for another Cruz is quite the challenge
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

Thanks RF !
    " Success is never final, but failure can be " B.P.

thanks Roanoke! [B]

[quote user="G-Men Surg."]Thanks RF ![/quote]

[Y]

# 80

[quote user="BigBlue1971"]thanks Roanoke! [B][/quote]

[]

# 80