+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

The Victor Cruz Dilemm(uh)

PFT posted an article today Link

Basically it amounts to Jerry Reese praising the way Victor Cruz is handling himself verses how Osi Umenyiora has handled his contract situation.

Why not reward Cruz for his actions? He is staying grounded and is willing to do right unto the Giants, so why wont Reese do right unto Cruz?

Now we can only speculate, because we don't know if there are contract talks currently going on. But I would think that in the best case scenario, Hakeem Nicks would receive a contract at the same time Victor Cruz does.

I just can't see them paying Cruz before Nicks. Nicks has been with the Giants longer, was a 1st round pick, and has been a top tier player for the Giants since 2009.

2012 Base Salaries:
    Hakeem Nicks - 750,000*
    Victor Cruz - 525,000

(*) - Keeping in mind that Hakeem got 6.5 million in guaranteed signing bonuses.

I conclude that this is a quandary to say the least. Both Nicks and Cruz are being paid less than their true value to the team. You can't reward one without rewarding the other.

What are your thoughts?

Veteran

Re: The Victor Cruz Dilemm(uh)

Nicks has proven himself longer, and is the #1. He makes the offense go, and is simply a better player than Cruz, despite what the stats may say. He will be paid handsomely, I doubt Reese lets his first round gem walk.

Cruz still has a lot to prove, and Reese knows that. He's forcing Cruz to play out his contract and have another great year to determine what kind of contract Cruz deserves. Remember, we can tender Cruz next year with a 1st rounder, and match any offers made.

Reese is handling this perfectly right now, imo. Nicks is going to demand a huge contract, and Cruz will demand only slightly less than Nicks if he has anywhere near a repeat of last year.

Cruz will be taken care of after the season. JR wants to make sure it was not a one and done year for Cruz.

[quote user="Spedracer"]PFT posted an article today Link

Basically it amounts to Jerry Reese praising the way Victor Cruz is handling himself verses how Osi Umenyiora has handled his contract situation.

Why not reward Cruz for his actions? He is staying grounded and is willing to do right unto the Giants, so why wont Reese do right unto Cruz?

Now we can only speculate, because we don't know if there are contract talks currently going on. But I would think that in the best case scenario, Hakeem Nicks would receive a contract at the same time Victor Cruz does.

I just can't see them paying Cruz before Nicks. Nicks has been with the Giants longer, was a 1st round pick, and has been a top tier player for the Giants since 2009.

2012 Base Salaries:
    Hakeem Nicks - 750,000*
    Victor Cruz - 525,000

(*) - Keeping in mind that Hakeem got 6.5 million in guaranteed signing bonuses.

I conclude that this is a quandary to say the least. Both Nicks and Cruz are being paid less than their true value to the team. You can't reward one without rewarding the other.

What are your thoughts?[/quote]By paying Cruz now you'd practically be giving Osi the middle finger and would make the situation worse. I do agree however that Cruz deserves a new contract but after the Osi situation is over and done with. Because right now any extension by the Giants would seem like a slap in the face to Osi and the front office does WANT to resign him but at a fair price angering him could permanently stall all negotiations and end in a Trade Demand and more talking and mudslinging to the media.

[quote user="XxBigWhitxX"][quote user="Spedracer"]PFT posted an article today Link

2012 Base Salaries:
    Hakeem Nicks - 750,000*
    Victor Cruz - 525,000

What are your thoughts?[/quote]By paying Cruz now you'd practically be giving Osi the middle finger and would make the situation worse. I do agree however that Cruz deserves a new contract but after the Osi situation is over and done with. Because right now any extension by the Giants would seem like a slap in the face to Osi and the front office does WANT to resign him but at a fair price angering him could permanently stall all negotiations and end in a Trade Demand and more talking and mudslinging to the media.[/quote]

My intention with this thread is to gather what everyone thinks, not to respond to every opinion, BUT...

Osi should be given the middle finger. The guy is a greedy pig and everyone knows it. But he is also an exceptional player, and he is paid like an exceptional player so he needs to ride his 40 million out. He signed it.

But giving Cruz money is more of a slap in the face to Nicks than it is to Osi.

Just playing a fly in the ointment here, but IF both Cruz and Nicks were given new contracts at the same time couldn't they conceivably hold out together at the end of their contracts and hurt the Giants? I feel sure Reese would not do that but would stagger their ending dates? Anyone know the answer to this? tia

All-Pro

[quote user="Spedracer"][quote user="XxBigWhitxX"][quote user="Spedracer"]PFT posted an article today Link Basically it amounts to Jerry Reese praising the way Victor Cruz is handling himself verses how Osi Umenyiora has handled his contract situation. Why not reward Cruz for his actions? He is staying grounded and is willing to do right unto the Giants, so why wont Reese do right unto Cruz? Now we can only speculate, because we don't know if there are contract talks currently going on. But I would think that in the best case scenario, Hakeem Nicks would receive a contract at the same time Victor Cruz does. I just can't see them paying Cruz before Nicks. Nicks has been with the Giants longer, was a 1st round pick, and has been a top tier player for the Giants since 2009. 2012 Base Salaries: Hakeem Nicks - 750,000* Victor Cruz - 525,000 (*) - Keeping in mind that Hakeem got 6.5 million in guaranteed signing bonuses. I conclude that this is a quandary to say the least. Both Nicks and Cruz are being paid less than their true value to the team. You can't reward one without rewarding the other. What are your thoughts?[/quote]By paying Cruz now you'd practically be giving Osi the middle finger and would make the situation worse. I do agree however that Cruz deserves a new contract but after the Osi situation is over and done with. Because right now any extension by the Giants would seem like a slap in the face to Osi and the front office does WANT to resign him but at a fair price angering him could permanently stall all negotiations and end in a Trade Demand and more talking and mudslinging to the media.[/quote] My intention with this thread is to gather what everyone thinks, not to respond to every opinion, BUT... Osi should be given the middle finger. The guy is a greedy pig and everyone knows it. But he is also an exceptional player, and he is paid like an exceptional player so he needs to ride his 40 million out. He signed it. But giving Cruz money is more of a slap in the face to Nicks than it is to Osi.[/quote]

Cool story bro.

Did you say the same about Strahan?

So much can happen between now and the time their contracts are up.

It's not always wise to pay players more money when you don't have to.
    We need our coaches to assign playing time based on something other than player salary.

[quote user="TuckYou"]

[quote user="Spedracer"][quote user="XxBigWhitxX"][quote user="Spedracer"]PFT posted an article today Link Basically it amounts to Jerry Reese praising the way Victor Cruz is handling himself verses how Osi Umenyiora has handled his contract situation. Why not reward Cruz for his actions? He is staying grounded and is willing to do right unto the Giants, so why wont Reese do right unto Cruz? Now we can only speculate, because we don't know if there are contract talks currently going on. But I would think that in the best case scenario, Hakeem Nicks would receive a contract at the same time Victor Cruz does. I just can't see them paying Cruz before Nicks. Nicks has been with the Giants longer, was a 1st round pick, and has been a top tier player for the Giants since 2009. 2012 Base Salaries: Hakeem Nicks - 750,000* Victor Cruz - 525,000 (*) - Keeping in mind that Hakeem got 6.5 million in guaranteed signing bonuses. I conclude that this is a quandary to say the least. Both Nicks and Cruz are being paid less than their true value to the team. You can't reward one without rewarding the other. What are your thoughts?[/quote]By paying Cruz now you'd practically be giving Osi the middle finger and would make the situation worse. I do agree however that Cruz deserves a new contract but after the Osi situation is over and done with. Because right now any extension by the Giants would seem like a slap in the face to Osi and the front office does WANT to resign him but at a fair price angering him could permanently stall all negotiations and end in a Trade Demand and more talking and mudslinging to the media.[/quote] My intention with this thread is to gather what everyone thinks, not to respond to every opinion, BUT... Osi should be given the middle finger. The guy is a greedy pig and everyone knows it. But he is also an exceptional player, and he is paid like an exceptional player so he needs to ride his 40 million out. He signed it. But giving Cruz money is more of a slap in the face to Nicks than it is to Osi.[/quote]

Cool story bro.

Did you say the same about Strahan?

[/quote]

You just compared Strahan to Umenyiora...cool story, Bro!

[quote user="ashleymarie"]Just playing a fly in the ointment here, but IF both Cruz and Nicks were given new contracts at the same time couldn't they conceivably hold out together at the end of their contracts and hurt the Giants? I feel sure Reese would not do that but would stagger their ending dates? Anyone know the answer to this? tia[/quote]

I don't think holdouts over contracts are even an option in either of these guys' minds. Nicks has a work ethic that is one of the best in the NFL. Sure he'll want his big pay day, but he won't hold out over it. Cruz is largely the same way; also, as a UDFA, he knows how fortunate he is to have an NFL contract at all. Both of these guys are team-oriented people, unlike Osi who is self-oriented.

To be honest, I don't think Osi is worth his talent anymore. The disruptions in the locker room more than offset his playing talent on the field. He's already making a bad impression on JPP, who said he would handle his contract situation the same way Osi did. By not giving in, Reese is showing JPP that whining like a little girl won't get you what you want on this team. But the sooner this bad influence is moved away, the better. Tuck is a much better role model for young players anyway...

Thank you Reddit for the best gif ever.