View Poll Results: Who would you draft, Eric Reid or Tyrann Mathieu

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Reid

    3 37.50%
  • Mathieu

    5 62.50%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22
  1. #1

    Eric Reid vs Tyrann Mathieu

    Who you guys taking and would you spend a first rounder on the Honey badger?

    Personally I think Mathieu projects as a Safety at the next level, too short and doesn't have the pure cover skills to play corner. But I do love his play making ability and I think he could thrive as a FS or in a Hybrid role similar to Charles Woodson.

    Reid to me is a fantastic in the box safety but isn't dynamic enough in coverage to over take Mathieu....Plus with Mathieu you get a fantastic special teams player.

    I'd take Mathieu mid first as I think he has Troy Polamalu type potential

  2. #2
    All-Pro titwio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Bronx NYC
    Posts
    9,473
    Quote Originally Posted by juice33s View Post
    Personally I think Mathieu projects as a Safety at the next level
    I say this too...the guy is a play-maker and he's more valuable imo roaming and used on safety blitz's. The only thing I can see hurting him is covering TE's because of his size, but the guy is feisty and should compete enough.

  3. #3
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    2,107
    I do not like small players at all

  4. #4
    I personally think Matthieu's perfect as a cover 2 system corner or nickel cb. I think he's worth a first, some team will look at the likes of Brandon Flowers and take him, I doubt it will be the Giants though as they do value size.

    However, I want TJ McDonald. Pair him next to Philips. KP/TJ will be my 2013 chant.

    Side note, I'd stab someone in the neck for David Amerson. He can be one of the better corner prospects in some time.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by penguinfarmer View Post
    I personally think Matthieu's perfect as a cover 2 system corner or nickel cb. I think he's worth a first, some team will look at the likes of Brandon Flowers and take him, I doubt it will be the Giants though as they do value size.

    However, I want TJ McDonald. Pair him next to Philips. KP/TJ will be my 2013 chant.

    Side note, I'd stab someone in the neck for David Amerson. He can be one of the better corner prospects in some time.
    i would say they VALUE size, but don't solely pick based on size (see Jayron Hosley: 5'9")

  6. #6
    Jayron was in the end of the third round. He's not projecting as one of the outside corners.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by penguinfarmer View Post
    I personally think Matthieu's perfect as a cover 2 system corner or nickel cb. I think he's worth a first, some team will look at the likes of Brandon Flowers and take him, I doubt it will be the Giants though as they do value size.

    However, I want TJ McDonald. Pair him next to Philips. KP/TJ will be my 2013 chant.

    Side note, I'd stab someone in the neck for David Amerson. He can be one of the better corner prospects in some time.
    KP will be a FA at the end of the year so depending on what kind of contract he's looking for we could be looking to replace him with a Reid, McDonald or Matheiu

  8. #8
    That I do worry about. I'd rather cut Rolle in favor of KP, but that only saves around 2.25 mil with 4.75mil in dead money due to the restructures. Here's to hoping for lucrative television deals and increased revenue.

  9. #9
    I do not think Matieu projects to safety at all and if he does project there, then he is certainly not a1st round pick at that position.

    He is likely a 1st round talent at Cb and on of the best defensive players in college football at cornerback, but not at safety where he would be 1 of the smallest , if not the smallest, safety in the league and would come into the league with no experience at the position.

  10. #10
    All-Pro titwio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Bronx NYC
    Posts
    9,473
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueSanta View Post
    I do not think Matieu projects to safety at all and if he does project there, then he is certainly not a1st round pick at that position.

    He is likely a 1st round talent at Cb and on of the best defensive players in college football at cornerback, but not at safety where he would be 1 of the smallest , if not the smallest, safety in the league and would come into the league with no experience at the position.
    He'll at least be taller than Bob Sanders. But the way he plays I can see him making the transition to safety...It's not that hard for CB's who study the same film as all DB's to convert as people think.

    But I agree he'll likely be drafted as a corner but I can see him being more successful down the line at safety.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts