+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

JUNIOR SEAU SAID GAME HAD TO CHANGE

JUNIOR SEAU SAID GAME HAD TO CHANGE

"On a day <a href="http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/03/sports/football/junior-seau-famed-nfl-linebacker-dies-at-43-in-apparent-suicide.html?ref=sports">to
    remember Junior Seau</a>, here are a few suggested links:

A good place to start: <a href="http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/jim_trotter/05/02/junior.seau/index.html#ixzz1tnjD7Q8T">Jim
    Trotter’s column at SI.com</a>. Seau was the first player Trotter ran into on
    his first regular pro beat in 1995, with the Chargers. Seau told him, “So,
    you’re the new guy?” Well, if you need anything call me. Here, take my number.”
    Seventeen years later:</p>

<blockquote>

In March, we spoke about the perception that commissioner Roger Goodell was
    making the game too soft with his enhanced enforcement of player safety rules.
    “It has to happen,” he said. “Those who are saying the game is changing for the
    worse, well, they don’t have a father who can’t remember his name because of the
    game. I’m pretty sure if everybody had to wake with their dad not knowing his
    name, not knowing his kids’ name, not being able to function at a normal rate
    after football, they would understand that the game needs to change. If it
    doesn’t, there are going to be more players, more great players, being affected
    by the things that we know of and aren’t changing. That’s not
    right.”</p></blockquote>

More from around the Web:
    <a href="http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--junior-seau-was-gregarious--ebullient--hilarious-and-immensely-popular.html">Michael
    Silver, Yahoo Sports:</a> “Gregarious, ebullient, hilarious and immensely
    popular, Seau provoked smiles in San Diego, Miami, Foxborough and throughout the
    NFL universe for more than two decades.”</p>

<a href="http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/may/02/canepa-seau-san-diego-treasure/?page=2#article">Nick
    Canepa, U-T San Diego: </a>“Junior Seau is a San Diego treasure. He has joined
    Ted Williams, Lance Alworth, LaDainian Tomlinson, Dan Fouts, John Jefferson,
    Randy Jones, Tony Gwynn, Caminiti, Don Coryell, Steve Fisher, Bill Walton,
    Trevor Hoffman and a few others in our pantheon of beloved sports icons. I can’t
    say San Diego County has developed a greater all-around athlete, an athlete not
    only loved, but one who cared about those not as fortunate, who made something
    of himself, something for which his family and community could be proud.”</p>

<a href="http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/05/02/lorenzo-neal-reflects-on-the-pressures-of-being-junior-seau/">
    Michael
    David Smith, ProFootballTalk.com:</a> “Lorenzo Neal said in an interview on NBC
    Sports Talk that Seau wanted badly to please everyone, and he could always do
    that by playing football well, which came naturally to him. But it was harder
    for Seau to continue to make a difference when football was over.”</p>

A great anecdote from Saints guard Eric Olsen on his Twitter account, <a href="http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/12283/staten-island-product-remembers-seau">via
    ESPN New York:</a></p>

<blockquote>

When I was a [freshman] in HS, Junior Seau worked the Jay Fiedler Football
    camp and at the end of one of the days he challenged anyone to a 1 on 1 …</p>

Being one of the ‘big’ kids, I was volunteered by my buddies and went up in
    front of the whole camp to face this monster of a man. Shaking in my cleats, he
    gave me a wink before a coach gave the cadence. He let me pancake him. And he
    sold it too…</p>

I can’t even tell you how good I felt at that moment; it changed me forever.
    The whole camp cheered for me, a chubby kid that didn’t know if he even liked
    football. From then on I was addicted. All thanks 2 this 10 time all-pro that
    felt like making some snot-nosed kid’s day…</p>

Doesn’t seem like much but it meant a lot to me. Sorry for the essay just had
    to share. RIP Junior I’ll never forget what you did for me."</p></blockquote>
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Re: JUNIOR SEAU SAID GAME HAD TO CHANGE

Pretty cool story from Eric Olsen . . . . .

Speaking from the grave, as it were. RIP Junior
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Not trying to be disrespectful but no one is forced to play football. The reason they play is because they make millions of dollars. If Goodell wants to change the game, then he shouldn't complain when people stop buying tickets because it has become flag football. If people are so worried about getting a concusion then don't play football and go get a job like everyone else. Theres risks everywhere, these guys play a GAME to make millions. They are pretty lucky if you ask me.

[quote user="elifan10"]Not trying to be disrespectful but no one is forced to play football. The reason they play is because they make millions of dollars. If Goodell wants to change the game, then he shouldn't complain when people stop buying tickets because it has become flag football. If people are so worried about getting a concusion then don't play football and go get a job like everyone else. Theres risks everywhere, these guys play a GAME to make millions. They are pretty lucky if you ask me.[/quote]

WOW

[quote user="elifan10"]Not trying to be disrespectful but no one is forced to play football. The reason they play is because they make millions of dollars. If Goodell wants to change the game, then he shouldn't complain when people stop buying tickets because it has become flag football. If people are so worried about getting a concusion then don't play football and go get a job like everyone else. Theres risks everywhere, these guys play a GAME to make millions. They are pretty lucky if you ask me.[/quote]

Don't you think it's possible that they can make the game safer without turning it into flag football?

This way, maybe tragedies like this could be avoided.

Burn the boats?

dude, I understand your PoV but I respectfully disagree with you.

If you had the chance to play a "kid's game" and to make a load of cash doing it, you, like me or anyone else, would do it in a heartbeat.

When I signed up US Army some years back, I knew the risks of the job. I am a partially disabled Vet today and I don't regret my service to this Country.

the point is some of us have occupations that put is in harm's way. Some more than others mind you.
    If there is a way to better protect these athletes then do it. Just like us Soldiers, Sailors, Airman and Marines, we are more than a Uniform.

We are people with lives and loved ones. We should want to see our players better protected. But maybe we don't care because its not us out there.

Be it the gridiron or down range.

NFL Championships : 1927 1934 1938 1956 Super Bowl Champions: XXI XXV XLII XLVI

[quote user="Roswell777"][quote user="elifan10"]Not trying to be disrespectful but no one is forced to play football. The reason they play is because they make millions of dollars. If Goodell wants to change the game, then he shouldn't complain when people stop buying tickets because it has become flag football. If people are so worried about getting a concusion then don't play football and go get a job like everyone else. Theres risks everywhere, these guys play a GAME to make millions. They are pretty lucky if you ask me.[/quote]

Don't you think it's possible that they can make the game safer without turning it into flag football?

This way, maybe tragedies like this could be avoided.[/quote]
    make it safer by removing all pads except for a soft leather helmet that cushions the head from impact with the ground. 80% of injuries gone instantly.

All-Pro

[quote user="elifan10"]Not trying to be disrespectful but no one is forced to play football. The reason they play is because they make millions of dollars. If Goodell wants to change the game, then he shouldn't complain when people stop buying tickets because it has become flag football. If people are so worried about getting a concusion then don't play football and go get a job like everyone else. Theres risks everywhere, these guys play a GAME to make millions. They are pretty lucky if you ask me.[/quote]</P>

I agree to a certain extent. I do feel like these players play the game for millions of dollars and will continue to play whether they get concussions or not, because playing in the NFL makes you a ton of money. I feel like the younger guys are just too ignorant to the facts and dont care about it, even with all the studies and knowledge coming out about how serious concussions are. I mean, it like, a oil rig worker or miner knows how seriously dangerous their jobs are, and they make a fraction of what NFL players make. No one is caring about them though, until its too late. </P>

I guess where Im going with this is, if the NFL or players want safety from concussions, wear the big goofy *** helmets that Eli and other players wear that actually prevent like 95% of concussions. They exist. Goddell doesnt enforce it though because he has his hands in the pocket of the company producing the less safe product. The players probably the same thing, plus Eli and Snee look goofy. And thats what matters to them. </P>

Why are they not enforcing these new concussion proof helmets? Because $$$$$ makes the world go around.</P>

</P>

[quote user="giantyankee1976"][quote user="elifan10"]Not trying to be disrespectful but no one is forced to play football. The reason they play is because they make millions of dollars. If Goodell wants to change the game, then he shouldn't complain when people stop buying tickets because it has become flag football. If people are so worried about getting a concusion then don't play football and go get a job like everyone else. Theres risks everywhere, these guys play a GAME to make millions. They are pretty lucky if you ask me.[/quote]

dude, I understand your PoV but I respectfully disagree with you.

If you had the chance to play a "kid's game" and to make a load of cash doing it, you, like me or anyone else, would do it in a heartbeat.

When I signed up US Army some years back, I knew the risks of the job. I am a partially disabled Vet today and I don't regret my service to this Country.

the point is some of us have occupations that put is in harm's way. Some more than others mind you.
    If there is a way to better protect these athletes then do it.* Just like us Soldiers, Sailors, Airman and Marines, we are more than a Uniform.

We are people with lives and loved ones.* We should want to see our players better protected.* But maybe we don't care because its not us out there.

Be it the gridiron or down range.
    [/quote]
    I get you man. I think that it is fine if they change the pads or something like that to protect them more, but dont change the game.