+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

THE NEW YORK GIANTS SHOULD EXTEND OSI UMENYIORA'S CONTRACT

THE NEW YORK GIANTS SHOULD EXTEND OSI UMENYIORA'S CONTRACT

"New York Giants defensive end Osi Umenyiora has been making
    the headlines lately with his open criticism of General Manager Jerry Reese and his contract
    situation. The same thing happened last offseason as well, where Osi threatened
    to hold out if he wasnít given a new contract. Ultimately, Osi got on the field
    and played football and the Giants won a Super Bowl. Now, Osi is back at it,
    opening his mouth to everyone that walks by him about how Reese lied to him and
    that he was promised a new contract. Osi became angry when the Giants gave Mathias Kiwanuka a three-year contract
    extension
    and has come out and said the Giants are making him out to look
    like a ďgreedy pig.Ē

The back and forth between Osi and Reese is purely a case of he-said,
    she-said and Reese has publicly stated that Osiís words will not play a role in
    the Giants trying to re-sign him, something the Giants are trying to do. This
    is the right move by Reese. There is no need to engage in a verbal tug-of-war
    with one of your best players. Let him vent. It means nothing. If this is the
    biggest distraction the Giants face as they gear up to defend their Super Bowl
    title then so be it. That is a very good problem to have, a player who wants to
    stay with the team, wants to get paid for being one of the best at his position,
    and who wonít sulk on the field if he doesnít get his way.

Umenyiora has been an integral part of a defense that has led the Giants to
    two Super Bowl Championships in five years. He has made two Pro Bowl
    appearances in 2005 and 2007 and was named to two All-Pro teams in 2005 (first
    team) and 2010 (second team, Associated Press). He has been in the top ten in
    sacks three times and is currently 13th on the active sacks leader
    list. In 2010, Osi had 10 forced fumbles, a league record, and is one of the
    best in the NFL at the strip-sack where he gets the quarterback to fumble the
    football. He has 30 forced fumbles in his career. Every team in the NFL needs
    a player like Osi Umenyiora. His on-field production has been fantastic, there
    is no question. This past season he only played in 9 games as a result of
    injury but still recorded 9 sacks and 2 forced fumbles. He added another 3.5
    sacks and one forced fumble in the Playoffs. Osi is one of the best defensive
    ends in football.

Osiís problem is Osi. He has a big mouth. He isnít the first football
    player to open his mouth too often and he wonít be the last. Football players
    have a short career, especially when it comes to maximizing their earnings
    potential. They want to get paid and they want it immediately. That is
    understandable, especially in a league where few dollars are guaranteed. You
    could sign a huge, eight-year contract this year and be cut in two years and
    never see a dime beyond what you have already made. Football is a merciless
    game both on and off the field.

Reese has publicly stated that the Giants are, ďa better football team with
    Osi Umenyiora on our team. We respect him as a football player. So our goal is
    to have Osi play football for the New York Giants and retire a Giant.Ē Those
    words might be PR but they are also true. The Giants are a better football team
    with Osi Umenyiora. Reese should be working towards a contract extension with
    one of his best players. It is only logical. Words mean nothing. Osi went out
    there last season and played hard when he was healthy. In the nine games he
    played in, he recorded three multi-sack games and added another one in the
    playoffs against Green Bay. He has the ability to absolutely dominate a game
    with his ability to get to the quarterback and cause him to fumble the
    football.

The New York Giants are a better football team with Osi Umenyiora. The
    Giants are at their best when they get unrelenting pressure on the quarterback
    and they have some of the best in the game at being able to do that. With
    Justin Tuck, Jason Pierre-Paul, Mathias Kiwanuka, and Osi able to
    line up in various packages on the defensive front few teams are able to stop
    them. You canít double team everyone. Last season, despite injuries hampering
    Osi and Tuck, the Giants placed third in the NFL with 48 sacks behind the
    Minnesota Vikings and Philadelphia
    Eagles
    who both had 50. Had Tuck and Osi not been dealing with
    nagging injuries, the Giants probably would have led the NFL in that category.
    That is how good this defensive front is. The Giants donít need to rely on
    schemes and blitzes because their front four at any given moment can bust
    through the offensive line and make your quarterback regret being born. That is
    an effective weapon to have but the Giants must make sure they have all of the
    bullets for their weapon and Osi is a part of that ammunition.

The Giants need Osi and Osi needs the Giants. He fits the system and I think
    everyone on that defensive front benefits from each other. If Osi were to leave
    as a free agent he might be able to get more money but I donít think his
    production would be as good as it has been with the Giants. What is happening
    right now is just talk. Osi has done it before and I am sure he will do it
    again. He isnít hurting anyoneís feelings. He might be aggravating some fans
    who might see him as ungrateful but I honestly canít say I blame him for wanting
    more money or a little security moving forward. Who doesnít want job security?
    The only difference is Osi has microphones stuck in his face and writers who
    follow his Twitter account and report his musings as news. I have confidence
    the Giants and Osi will reach an agreement on a new contract and Osiís mouth
    will only be yapping at offensive linemen and quarterbacks."
    ďNever argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.Ē MB Rule # 1

Re: THE NEW YORK GIANTS SHOULD EXTEND OSI UMENYIORA'S CONTRACT

I don't disagree with any of this.

So everybody just shut up, hammer out a deal and lets go get another one, OK?

And now, in the interest of equal time, here is a message from the National Institute of Pancakes: It reads, and I quote, ď**** waffles.Ē......G Carlin

I don't necessarily have a problem with Osi but what I do have a problem with is these athletes signing a contract for more money and then wanting more money before the term of the contract is finished, whats with this stuff, who started it? and why bother negotiating a contract if its not going to be honored...

Osi is under contract. There is no pressure to extend it. He has to play.

[quote user="JesseJames"]I don't necessarily have a problem with Osi but what I do have a problem with is these athletes signing a contract for more money and then wanting more money before the term of the contract is finished, whats with this stuff, who started it? and why bother negotiating a contract if its not going to be honored...[/quote]
    I don't blame the players in the NFL for wanting to renegotiate when they outplay their contracts one bit. The owners can force them to take a pay cut, or release them with no issues, the players should have the same right.

In other leagues, there are a lot more guarantees on the contracts, binding the owners, and removing that as a reasonable strategy for the players.

[quote user="FBomb"]

[/quote]

[:#]
    ďNever argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.Ē MB Rule # 1

[quote user="RoanokeFan"][quote user="FBomb"]

[/quote]

[:#]
    [/quote]

At least SOMEBODY is listening!

And now, in the interest of equal time, here is a message from the National Institute of Pancakes: It reads, and I quote, ď**** waffles.Ē......G Carlin

Osi has a skill set that few posses and the essence of the game is to get to the QB. He should be extended.
    R.I.P. Otto and George (1960 - 2014). Funniest comedy team of this century.

Veteran

[quote user="FBomb"]

[/quote]

[Y]

All-Pro

Pay the man
    Football has been very, very good to us.
    In the midst of this losing season, we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
    2-Washington, Green Bay, Denver, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
    3-San Francisco, Dallas, New England
    4-New York Giants!!!!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***