Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

UMENYIORA REPLACING SUGGS UNLIKELY

UMENYIORA REPLACING SUGGS UNLIKELY

"It's not hard to connect the dots following TerrellSuggs' torn Achilles'
    tendon injury

The BaltimoreRavens need a pass
    rusher
    , and New York Giants general manager
    Jerry Reese sounded like he was open to the possibility of trading Osi Umenyiora in comments
    made after the draft. To make it even juicier, The Baltimore Sun and the New
    York Daily News reported last year that the Ravens showed interest in Umenyiora
    for a possible trade.

Sounds like a match made in speculation heaven, right? Not exactly.

The Giants didn't trade Umenyiora last year because teams like the Ravens
    balked at New York's first-round asking price. The Giants likely received calls
    on Umenyiora during the draft, but again, no one made an offer Reese couldn't
    refuse.

It's not in Ravens GM Ozzie Newsome's DNA to give up high future draft picks.
    Umenyiora is especially costly because he would require a big long-term deal to
    make the trade sensible. (And the Ravens are tight to the salary cap.) There
    also are questions about how he'd fit in the 3-4 defense. Newsome probably has
    more confidence in his young pass rushers than the average Ravens fan.

The biggest obstacle of all here: The Giants aren't motivated sellers. They
    have Umenyiora under contract at a low price. He's valuable to them, and they
    can live through a little offseason drama. After all, they have done it plenty
    of times before.

Umenyiora-to-Baltimore makes sense on message boards, but we suspect the
    speculation will end there."

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Re: UMENYIORA REPLACING SUGGS UNLIKELY

every thing in this article makes sense but the Ravens do need a good proven pass rusher and right now I think Osi is at the top of the list of those available...

[quote user="JesseJames"]every thing in this article makes sense but the Ravens do need a good proven pass rusher and right now I think Osi is at the top of the list of those available...[/quote]

Maybe, but why would we trade him?
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

[quote user="RoanokeFan"][quote user="JesseJames"]every thing in this article makes sense but the Ravens do need a good proven pass rusher and right now I think Osi is at the top of the list of those available...[/quote]

[/quote]Because the Ravens are gonna be desperate for a pass rusher to "win now" not knowing how much longer they'll have Lewis and Reed. Desperation is the ultimate weapon when trading.

[quote user="JesseJames"]every thing in this article makes sense but the Ravens do need a good proven pass rusher and right now I think Osi is at the top of the list of those available...[/quote]

That means that the Giants are more able to get a ransom for him. The Giants see this as a win/win. Baltimore gives them the kitchen sink, or they keep Umenyiora for this year under contract and if he performs well (as he should want to since it is his contract year), they tag him or something and he has to stay an extra year or they let him walk or they trade him while he is tagged. There are A LOT of options when it comes to Osi, and it seems like Baltimore needs Osi more than the Giants do (though the Giants do need him) which makes them desperate and more likely to give up more.

[quote user="XxBigWhitxX"][quote user="RoanokeFan"][quote user="JesseJames"]every thing in this article makes sense but the Ravens do need a good proven pass rusher and right now I think Osi is at the top of the list of those available...[/quote]

[/quote]Because the Ravens are gonna be desperate for a pass rusher to "win now" not knowing how much longer they'll have Lewis and Reed. Desperation is the ultimate weapon when trading.[/quote]

What can they offer the GIANTS now that the draft is over? Don't say pick(s) next year because that doesn't do anything for us in the attempt to repeat.

[quote user="RoanokeFan"][quote user="XxBigWhitxX"][quote user="RoanokeFan"][quote user="JesseJames"]every thing in this article makes sense but the Ravens do need a good proven pass rusher and right now I think Osi is at the top of the list of those available...[/quote]

[/quote]Because the Ravens are gonna be desperate for a pass rusher to "win now" not knowing how much longer they'll have Lewis and Reed. Desperation is the ultimate weapon when trading.[/quote]

What can they offer the GIANTS now that the draft is over?* Don't say pick(s) next year because that doesn't do anything for us in the attempt to repeat.
    [/quote]
    The Shockey picks didn't help us the following year (or ever for that matter)

[quote user="THE_New_York_Giants"][quote user="RoanokeFan"][quote user="XxBigWhitxX"][quote user="RoanokeFan"][quote user="JesseJames"]every thing in this article makes sense but the Ravens do need a good proven pass rusher and right now I think Osi is at the top of the list of those available...[/quote]

What can they offer the GIANTS now that the draft is over? Don't say pick(s) next year because that doesn't do anything for us in the attempt to repeat.
    [/quote]
    The Shockey picks didn't help us the following year (or ever for that matter)[/quote]

I could be way off base here, but I think Reese & Co. believe we can repeat and they aren't about to let Osi go anywhere while he's under contract.

"They have Umenyiora under contract at a low price. He's valuable to them, and they can live through a little offseason drama."

This^

[quote user="RoanokeFan"][quote user="THE_New_York_Giants"][quote user="RoanokeFan"][quote user="XxBigWhitxX"][quote user="RoanokeFan"][quote user="JesseJames"]every thing in this article makes sense but the Ravens do need a good proven pass rusher and right now I think Osi is at the top of the list of those available...[/quote]

What can they offer the GIANTS now that the draft is over?* Don't say pick(s) next year because that doesn't do anything for us in the attempt to repeat.
    [/quote]
    The Shockey picks didn't help us the following year (or ever for that matter)[/quote]

I could be way off base here, but I think Reese & Co. believe we can repeat and they aren't about to let Osi go anywhere while he's under contract.
    [/quote]
    I agree