+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Cruz 2011 or Austin 2009?

Kind of boring around here so I thought I'd start a fun debate.

Victor Cruz had 82 catches, 1,532 yards, 9 touchdowns in 2011

Miles Austin had 81 catches, 1,320 yards, and 11 touchdowns in 2009

Both were Rookie Free Agents if I'm not mistaken, so that's why there is the comparison.

A quick glance at the numbers is in favor of Cruz, but who do you think was better in their respective year.

Also, do you think Cruz will replicate his success in future seasons?

Go!

Veteran

Re: Cruz 2011 or Austin 2009?

How many games did Miles Austin play in? I feel like that year it was a lot of big games in the second half if I remember correctly. I know Cruz basically didn't do anything the first 3 games this year before he went off.

Veteran

Just checked. Miles Austin didn't really do anything the first 4 games that year either. Then he went off with the big 250 yard game

Right.

Both players came on a little late because they were down in the depth chart. Cruz burst on to the scene against Philly which I think was week 3, while Austin had a pretty decent showing in the first game against Tampa, but didn't start until Kansas City which was week 4.

Both players had big game winning catches late in games to help secure the division.

Not sure about when Austin made his big plays but Cruz was huge against Philly and Dallas which has to count for a lot.

R.I.P. Otto and George (1960 - 2014). Funniest comedy team of this century.

[quote user="Roswell777"]Not sure about when Austin made his big plays but Cruz was huge against Philly and Dallas which has to count for a lot.[/quote]

Austin's highlights

October/Kansas City: 250 yard game with a game tying touchdown and game winning touchdown in overtime. Most reception yards in Cowboys history for a single game. e

Novermber: 49 yard game winning touchdown against Philadelphia with 8 minutes left in the fourth quarter to take the division early, Only catch of the game.

December: New Orleans-- 7 catches 139 yards, 1 touchdown.
    Biggest play: Late in the forth quarter when the Cowboys lead diminished to only a touchdown after being up 24-3, 3rd and 7 from our own 23, Miles Austin had a 32 yard catch on a slant pass. Helped remove time from the clock to secure the win.

Philadelphia late: 14 catches, 172 yards, 1 touchdown to help the Cowboys smack Philadelphia in the final game of the season and to win the wild card round the very next week

I'm sure there were more, but I can't think of anything bigger than that at the moment.

I'm only a little familiar with Cruz resume from last year. Big game against Philly early, big performance against NYJ. And the one negative where he tipped an interception into the hands of a seattle defender to essentially end the game. But monster stats and huge, huge impact for the giants. Possibly the most important player outside of JPP.

[quote user="Ntegrase96"]Kind of boring around here so I thought I'd start a fun debate.

Victor Cruz had 82 catches, 1,532 yards, 9 touchdowns in 2011

Miles Austin had 81 catches, 1,320 yards, and 11 touchdowns in 2009

Both were Rookie Free Agents if I'm not mistaken, so that's why there is the comparison.

A quick glance at the numbers is in favor of Cruz, but who do you think was better in their respective year.

Also, do you think Cruz will replicate his success in future seasons?

Go!
    [/quote]

I'd say that Austin's 09 season and Cruz' 11 season were very close in terms of impact upon their respective teams as well as their real close stats.

However, Cruz exploded on the scene for the Giants in virtually his first year in the league (he went on IR after week 3 of his rookie year, after being on the field in only 1 or 2 plays, total), whereas Austin did not until his fourth year. That immediate impact makes Cruz' 2011 accomplishments more impressively exceed Austin's 09 season, in my opinion.

Cruz had no rookie season, and no off season in 2011, to perfect his play before being unexpectedly thrust into the role of slot receiver after we lost Smith--one of the best slot receivers in the league until he went down mid-season of 2010-- the month prior to season opener.

Cruz not only "adequately" filled the position no one in the organization, as the season began, believed could be adequately filled, he went on to set the franchise record--86 years in the NFL-- for receiving yards.

Miles had 3 full seasons and 3 complete off seasons to perfect his play. Plus, he hasn't matched his 09 season in the 2 seasons since.

Also Cruz' TD celebration dance caught fire. What is Austin's celebration................I can't recall.....................?

And, yes, I absolutely believe Cruz will continue his success--certainly for as long as he has Eli as his QB, at the very least.

True. I remember watching Cruz in the preseason of 2010 and thinking he was a pretty good find. Didn't know that he got injured.

Austin took more time to develop and relies much more on tact than Cruz who seems to have more moxie.

Which kind of goes hand and hand with why he wasn't a big factor before 2009. I mean, the guy was behind Terrell Owens, Terry Glenn, and reliable Patrick Crayton, and was much more of a project receiver-- like I said, he relies on what he's learned rather than what he possessed already. Austin, too suffered a lower leg injury in the presason of 2008, when he looked like he was becoming a monster.

I like Austin because he's a good story and a Cowboy, so I'll stick up for him a little with 'reproducing his 2009 season'--

Miles Austin's game relies on Tony Romo. Their timing and rapport is what makes Austin dangerous. And in 2010, Austin had 3 140+ yard games before Romo went down for the season in the 6th game of the season. In 2011, Austin had injury problems, but had a strong showing early against two great defensive teams in NYJ and SF. (233 yards and 4 TDs)... then the hamstring issues started late against San Fran in week 2.

I really don't doubt that Austin can replicate his 2009 season. He and Romo just need to be healthy to do it.

And as far as the dancing goes, Austin's almost dunk, and circle around the FG post was much better than anything Cruz has ever done... not really, but that's all I got.

Miles Austin's stats in 2009 were a bit padded while playing against Sheridan's failure defense... twice...

Victor Cruz by a long shot....

[quote user="NYGRealityCheck"]Miles Austin's stats in 2009 were a bit padded while playing against Sheridan's failure defense... twice...

Victor Cruz by a long shot....[/quote]

hahahaha. Couldn't we say the same about Cruz versus the cowboys porous defense last year?