+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cruz 2011 or Austin 2009?

Re: Cruz 2011 or Austin 2009?

[quote user="Ntegrase96"] Possibly the most important player outside of JPP.
    [/quote]

Eli is the most important player on the giants

[quote user="NYGRealityCheck"][quote user="Drez"][quote user="NYGRealityCheck"][quote user="Ntegrase96"][quote user="gmen46"][quote user="Ntegrase96"]True. I remember watching Cruz in the preseason of 2010 and thinking he was a pretty good find. Didn't know that he got injured.

Austin took more time to develop and relies much more on tact than Cruz who seems to have more moxie.

Which kind of goes hand and hand with why he wasn't a big factor before 2009. I mean, the guy was behind Terrell Owens, Terry Glenn, and reliable Patrick Crayton, and was much more of a project receiver-- like I said, he relies on what he's learned rather than what he possessed already. Austin, too suffered a lower leg injury in the presason of 2008, when he looked like he was becoming a monster.

I like Austin because he's a good story and a Cowboy, so I'll stick up for him a little with 'reproducing his 2009 season'--

Miles Austin's game relies on Tony Romo. Their timing and rapport is what makes Austin dangerous. And in 2010, Austin had 3 140+ yard games before Romo went down for the season in the 6th game of the season. In 2011, Austin had injury problems, but had a strong showing early against two great defensive teams in NYJ and SF. (233 yards and 4 TDs)... then the hamstring issues started late against San Fran in week 2.

I really don't doubt that Austin can replicate his 2009 season. He and Romo just need to be healthy to do it.

And as far as the dancing goes, Austin's almost dunk, and circle around the FG post was much better than anything Cruz has ever done... not really, but that's all I got.[/quote]

Don't get me wrong. I think Miles is a very dangerous receiver. (I fear him more than Dez, truth be told).

But your question concerned comparing a different season for each player, and I believe Cruz comes out a bit ahead. We'll see how their careers pan out. Two very good-to-great receivers, in a wide receiver-rich division.[/quote]

Yeah, no problem at all. I think Cruz in 2011 had a great season and Austin had a great season as well in 2009. Overall I'd say it is a push, but I could understand people seeing it go either way. Good points on either side. Just thought I'd get other opinions.

I was just pointing out that Miles Austin's 2009 season hasn't been replicated yet, I don't think it's due to a lack of his ability to do so.
    [/quote]

maybe it's due to the fact that he messed up on a crucial pass late in the Week 14 game Giants at Dallas that would have ended the game, but thanks to him the Giants' playoff hopes were kept alive.

"Quarterback Tony Romo took the snap, dropped back and saw receiver Miles Austin running wide open down the field. The Giants had blitzed and there were no defenders near Austin, who could have glided into the end zone.

But the pass fell incomplete. Austin later admitted he lost the ball in the bright lights of Cowboys Stadium. “I wish I would have reacted better, to be honest with you,” Austin said. “Obviously, it was a missed opportunity.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/05/sp...iants-way.html

Missed opportunities galore. Fine with me![/quote]

I can't get on Austin too hard for that (though it was a huge miss in a huge moment), if for no other reason than Nicks had essentially the same thing happen to him the following week against the Skins. I think it was on the opening series (or if nothing else, very early in the game) and he got blinded by the sun on that huge bomb and dropped the ball.
    [/quote]

But Nicks' dropped pass was not in a crucial moment or crucial game and IMHO even if he did score the TD, it would not have been enough as the Giants lost 23-10 in a total lack of effort from both sides of the ball as the team was boo-ed at the stadium from beginning to end. The defense did not bother to stop Rex Grossman in that game.[/quote]
    All I'm saying is that sometimes **** happens. Also, there's not telling that if we hit a huge TD like that early in the game that it doesn't just deflate the Skins, and then we go on to tromp them.

[quote user="NYGRealityCheck"][quote user="Ntegrase96"][quote user="gmen46"][quote user="Ntegrase96"]True. I remember watching Cruz in the preseason of 2010 and thinking he was a pretty good find. Didn't know that he got injured.

Austin took more time to develop and relies much more on tact than Cruz who seems to have more moxie.

Which kind of goes hand and hand with why he wasn't a big factor before 2009. I mean, the guy was behind Terrell Owens, Terry Glenn, and reliable Patrick Crayton, and was much more of a project receiver-- like I said, he relies on what he's learned rather than what he possessed already. Austin, too suffered a lower leg injury in the presason of 2008, when he looked like he was becoming a monster.

I like Austin because he's a good story and a Cowboy, so I'll stick up for him a little with 'reproducing his 2009 season'--

Miles Austin's game relies on Tony Romo. Their timing and rapport is what makes Austin dangerous. And in 2010, Austin had 3 140+ yard games before Romo went down for the season in the 6th game of the season. In 2011, Austin had injury problems, but had a strong showing early against two great defensive teams in NYJ and SF. (233 yards and 4 TDs)... then the hamstring issues started late against San Fran in week 2.

I really don't doubt that Austin can replicate his 2009 season. He and Romo just need to be healthy to do it.

And as far as the dancing goes, Austin's almost dunk, and circle around the FG post was much better than anything Cruz has ever done... not really, but that's all I got.[/quote]

Don't get me wrong. I think Miles is a very dangerous receiver. (I fear him more than Dez, truth be told).

But your question concerned comparing a different season for each player, and I believe Cruz comes out a bit ahead. We'll see how their careers pan out. Two very good-to-great receivers, in a wide receiver-rich division.[/quote]

Yeah, no problem at all. I think Cruz in 2011 had a great season and Austin had a great season as well in 2009. Overall I'd say it is a push, but I could understand people seeing it go either way. Good points on either side. Just thought I'd get other opinions.

I was just pointing out that Miles Austin's 2009 season hasn't been replicated yet, I don't think it's due to a lack of his ability to do so.
    [/quote]

maybe it's due to the fact that he messed up on a crucial pass late in the Week 14 game Giants at Dallas that would have ended the game, but thanks to him the Giants' playoff hopes were kept alive.

"Quarterback Tony Romo took the snap, dropped back and saw receiver Miles Austin running wide open down the field. The Giants had blitzed and there were no defenders near Austin, who could have glided into the end zone.

But the pass fell incomplete. Austin later admitted he lost the ball in the bright lights of Cowboys Stadium. “I wish I would have reacted better, to be honest with you,” Austin said. “Obviously, it was a missed opportunity.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/05/sp...iants-way.html

Missed opportunities galore. Fine with me![/quote]

I think since 2009 the great plays made by Miles Austin heavily outweigh the one missed opportunity he has.

[quote user="Ntegrase96"]Kind of boring around here so I thought I'd start a fun debate.

Victor Cruz had 82 catches, 1,532 yards, 9 touchdowns in 2011

Miles Austin had 81 catches, 1,320 yards, and 11 touchdowns in 2009

Both were Rookie Free Agents if I'm not mistaken, so that's why there is the comparison.

A quick glance at the numbers is in favor of Cruz, but who do you think was better in their respective year.

Also, do you think Cruz will replicate his success in future seasons?

Go!
    [/quote]

I love both players! JERSEY PRIDE!

Veteran

both are from jersey >>>

Veteran

Cruz in super bowl 46- 1 TD catch.

Miles Austin in super bowl... oh yea.

Cruz hands down.

Starter

Didn't Austin have a huge game this year against San Fran when Romo came back into the game injured to help you guys come back to win. He is a good player and if he stays healthy could match his previous numbers, I love his speed he is very smooth out there. Will he match his previous numbers? Probably not but it is a definite possibility.

I'm gonna be biased and go with Cruz, who I don't think will best his numbers either but possibly match them, on this one but merely because I usually only watch Austin when he plays us and anything good he does is then bad....except him missing that catch that was very very good. lol

Gotta go with Cruz. I mean no disrespect to Austin who is a fine player either. But East Rutherford is 1 of the hardest places to amass passing/recieving yards in all the NFL. The same cannot be said about Dallas.

Austin's breakout year was his 4th year in the league, Cruz was his 2nd,.

So Austin had a little more time to adjust to the NFL, speed of the game, development, etc

When you think about it, their styles are awfully similar

+ Reply to Thread