NEW YORK GIANTS' ROUNDS 1 AND 2: WHAT WE LEARNED FROM THE NFL DRAFT

NEW YORK GIANTS' ROUNDS 1 AND 2: WHAT WE LEARNED FROM THE NFL DRAFT

"For the second year in a row, Jerry
    Reese
    made an unexpected move with the New York
    Giants
    ' first-round selection. After choosing value over immediate need in
    the 2011 NFL Draft by
    taking Cornerback Prince Amukamara, Reese opted to take a running back with the
    final pick of the opening round.

While this selection certainly filled a large vacancy on the Giants depth
    chart, taking David
    Wilson
    at 32 is still a surprising move from a General Manager whose Super
    Bowl winning method includes finding starting caliber players in later
    rounds.

After finding Ahmad Bradshaw in the seventh and final round five years ago,
    Reese has given the Giants a main event level RB that played through his first
    four years in the league at a relative bargain.

With the durability of today’s top tier backs limiting them to only a handful
    of effective seasons, even last year’s top rushing prize Mark Ingram fell to New
    Orleans in the waning picks of the opening round.

Irregardless, Reese obviously feels that what Wilson can provide immediately
    outweighs the probability that his value may sharply decline only a few short
    years from now.

Wilson is expected to bring speed and agility to a rushing attack that
    finished 32nd last season. He also brings depth to a position whose leader,
    Bradshaw, will remain forever questionable thanks to permanent screws in both
    ankles.

With the majority of the Super Bowl winning roster returning, an injection of
    youth and talent in the rushing attack may be just what the Giants need to
    repeat. Even a boost into the top 20 for rushing yards could take the pressure
    off the passing game necessary to ease in the second round pick.

Rueben
    Randle
    , WR LSU
    :

If you chose to believe Reese’s public stance, you may not have seen the Rueben
    Randle
    selection coming. While fans clamored for a suitable imported
    replacement for Mario Manningham throughout free agency, Reese maintained that
    Jerrel Jernigan was adequate competition for Ramses Barden at third WR.

Randle’s arrival may finally bring a dimension to the Giants offense that the
    team had been striving to obtain since Plaxico’s departure. New York
    prospered without a large target at WR, but Randle’s 6’3 frame allows them to
    implement new wrinkles into an already dangerous system.

If Randle can acclimate himself to the game quick enough and manage to avoid
    the injury bug that seems to nag the majority of rookie Giants WRs of late, he
    can be an immediate contributor.

Behind him will sit Jernigan, who is guaranteed a spot on this roster thanks
    to his status as a second year mid-round draft selection. The Giants are excited
    about his speed and are anxious to see if solid hands will follow.

The fifth and possibly sixth spot on the depth chart will be up for grabs.
    Barden will have to dig deep and find a way to avoid the injury report. Randle’s
    arrival takes away the need for a large target and thus, Ramses unproductive
    days are likely numbered.

Domenik Hixon will also need to prove his durability after back-to-back torn
    ACLs. If he return to his old form, he’s a cheap veteran option to round out the
    depth chart."

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Re: NEW YORK GIANTS' ROUNDS 1 AND 2: WHAT WE LEARNED FROM THE NFL DRAFT

Great post RF. I think the article is pretty accurate for the most part. Barden has to show out in camp. JJ and Randle have roster spots reserved, but Barden could possibly see his last days as a Giant if he doesn't step it up.

The more I watch the Wilson highlights in comparison with the Martin highlights the more I really believe JR that he was our second rated RB and highest rated guy on our board. However, his success is predicated on our run blocking more than anything else.

IMO, facing the 3rd best corner one on one whenever he's on the field this year Randle has a better chance than any rookie WR to make an immediate impact. His body type, strength, and route running abilities are all conducive to him hitting the ground running.
    In the tough times we find out who we are.

[quote user="B&RWarrior"]Great post RF. I think the article is pretty accurate for the most part. Barden has to show out in camp. JJ and Randle have roster spots reserved, but Barden could possibly see his last days as a Giant if he doesn't step it up.

The more I watch the Wilson highlights in comparison with the Martin highlights the more I really believe JR that he was our second rated RB and highest rated guy on our board. However, his success is predicated on our run blocking more than anything else.

IMO, facing the 3rd best corner one on one whenever he's on the field this year Randle has a better chance than any rookie WR to make an immediate impact. His body type, strength, and route running abilities are all conducive to him hitting the ground running.[/quote]
    R2, like any rookie WR, is coming into a perfect situation -- defending SB champs with an ELIte QB throwing to him, and 2 excellent pro-bowl caliber WRs to learn from and take the focus of the elite CB's.

Whether it's R2, JJ, Barden, or Hixon I fully expect someone to contribute heavily as 3rd WR.

All-Pro

Irregardless...lol

While I like the picks it always seems it takes the rookies a year before they are ready to contribute. Personally, think that wilson will get carries, I'm not certain about R2, but you never know. I'm just not expecting big things.

I might be a bit daft, what did we learn from the draft?

Was he suggesting that Reese picked need this time around?

anyway

I like all the hype around Reuben and really like the little I've seen of him, he doesn't seem to like to fight cornerbacks too much at the los though. Hopefully he picks that up quickly, he has some great mentors at the giants.

2 big men on the outside, allowing Cruz to work the middle. Teams are going to gameplan like crazy for cruz, really interested to see if it will open up holes for our TE or start seeing the running game get going again.

[quote user="TheAussieGiant"]I might be a bit daft, what did we learn from the draft?

Was he suggesting that Reese picked need this time around?

anyway

I like all the hype around Reuben and really like the little I've seen of him, he doesn't seem to like to fight cornerbacks too much at the los though. Hopefully he picks that up quickly, he has some great mentors at the giants.

2 big men on the outside, allowing Cruz to work the middle. Teams are going to gameplan like crazy for cruz, really interested to see if it will open up holes for our TE or start seeing the running game get going again.[/quote]

good point about having guys with size on the perimeter.

we already know what nicks brings to the table.

i'm especially excited about R2, Reese and Ross said he'll be a quick learn and fit into the offense, and compared him to Nicks...if he pans out based on what they say, with Bennett out of the TE spot, we will be a very dangerous offense...then you figure you got Wilson who will abuse LB's if they're left to cover him in space...

I am not sold on Randle either. Write it down! JJ will beat out Randle for the 3 spot at WR. Rankles most productive games came vs poor secondary's Arkansas, Mississippi State, Florida, he couldn't get open to save his life vs stronger secondary's. In fact a LSU fan I know said LSU fans got annoyed why Randle didn't show up in big games! Reese keeps referring to the National Championship game that Randle did zero. But truth is Randle did nothing in BOTH games vs Alabama last year, I don't care how you slice it dissect it or try to make excuses for it. 5 catches in 2 games for 32 yards throws up a red flag on this guy. He can't get open vs good DB's period. Jernigan can and will in my humble opinion.

What I've gotten from JR's drafting (including this year) is that he expects 1st and 2nd round picks to start.

Everyone else has an equal shot at making the team.
    I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

[quote user="Kruunch"]What I've gotten from JR's drafting (including this year) is that he expects 1st and 2nd round picks to start.

Everyone else has an equal shot at making the team.[/quote]

Neither will start.

Unless you consider the 3rd WR in our 3 WR sets a starting role, even then I don't think JR knows who will win the battle in camp and he said as much.

Bradshaw is still the best back on this team. I will be presently surprised if Wilson supplants him as the starter. I seriously doubt this.
    In the tough times we find out who we are.