+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Harry Carson on SIRIUS this morning with Bob Papa and Ross Tucker

I didn't catch the whole interview but when I tuned in Harry was talking about the concussion issue. He agreed with Warner, and not with Toomer, explaining how his life has been affected by "Post Concussive Syndrome (PCS)."

I was first struck by how articulate Harry is. He explained how he was/is affected by depression. He used a post game scenario from when he played as an example. The team had won a game and everyone was "up" in the locker room. Everyone, that is, except Harry. He went to Ronnie Barnes, the trainer, and told him her was suffering from depression and Barnes asked Harry what he wanted him to do about it. Harry just wanted him to know, he said.

He went on to explain that he has learned how to live with PCS. He also said he was not one of the former players suing the NFL as he doesn't believe they knew then what they are learning now.

I don't know if you can get an audio clip from SIRIUS but it would be great listening for anyone wanting to know more about concussions. Harry, said he has told his daughter that he doesn't want his grandson to play football.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

Re: Harry Carson on SIRIUS this morning with Bob Papa and Ross Tucker

Everyone on here 5 days ago was ripping Warner a new one, yet I agree with exactly what he said. And yes, Carson is a very well spoken guy.

[quote user="RoanokeFan"]I didn't catch the whole interview but when I tuned in Harry was talking about the concussion issue.* He agreed with Warner, and not with Toomer, explaining how his life has been affected by "Post Concussive Syndrome (PCS)."[/quote]

Big difference between Harry and Kurt .... Harry didn't say he wouldn't want this children to play football ... and then let them play football.

And the hypocrisy of this is astounding (both from people on these boards and the NFL personalities).

Simple way to end the drama ... ban the sport.

Otherwise you're just creating more hot air.
    I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but we have to realize this is a serious issue. I read posts suggesting that finding ways to make the "game" less violent/life altering somehow isn't as important as we, the fans, getting our pound of flesh every week.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

[quote user="RoanokeFan"]Everyone is entitled to their opinion but we have to realize this is a serious issue.* I read posts suggesting that finding ways to make the "game" less violent/life altering somehow isn't as important as we, the fans, getting our pound of flesh every week.
    [/quote]

Again ... you can choose to stop supporting it by not watching or buying football related media and paraphernalia. But if you don't, then you're just a hypocrite on this topic.

That's not an opinion ... that's the text book definition of hypocrite.

I applaud those people who strive to make the game safer via better equipment and rule changes. But the bottom line is that you have X amount of brain cells in your head. When you kill one, it doesn't grow back. Concussions cause brain cells to die. Full contact sports cause concussions.

If we (meaning us as a people) were really concerned about this issue past paying lip service to it, the sport (and sports like it) would be dead.

Tough truth ... but we're not all as evolved as we like to think.
    I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

[quote user="Kruunch"][quote user="RoanokeFan"]I didn't catch the whole interview but when I tuned in Harry was talking about the concussion issue. He agreed with Warner, and not with Toomer, explaining how his life has been affected by "Post Concussive Syndrome (PCS)."[/quote] Big difference between Harry and Kurt .... Harry didn't say he wouldn't want this children to play football ... and then let them play football. And the hypocrisy of this is astounding (both from people on these boards and the NFL personalities). Simple way to end the drama ... ban the sport. Otherwise you're just creating more hot air.[/quote]

I don't see how it's hyprocrytical at all.

If it was his choice, he probably wouldn'twant his kids to play football.He is obviously allowing his kids to participate in whatever activities they choose . . . . hence, it is nothis choice.

I caught some of Carson's interview on Sirius too . . . . he always does a great job on the air.

[quote user="Kruunch"][quote user="RoanokeFan"]Everyone is entitled to their opinion but we have to realize this is a serious issue. I read posts suggesting that finding ways to make the "game" less violent/life altering somehow isn't as important as we, the fans, getting our pound of flesh every week.
    [/quote]

Again ... you can choose to stop supporting it by not watching or buying football related media and paraphernalia. But if you don't, then you're just a hypocrite on this topic.

That's not an opinion ... that's the text book definition of hypocrite.

I applaud those people who strive to make the game safer via better equipment and rule changes. But the bottom line is that you have X amount of brain cells in your head. When you kill one, it doesn't grow back. Concussions cause brain cells to die. Full contact sports cause concussions.

If we (meaning us as a people) were really concerned about this issue past paying lip service to it, the sport (and sports like it) would be dead.

Tough truth ... but we're not all as evolved as we like to think.[/quote]

I'm not sure how my hoping they find a way to make the game lees life altering is hypocritical, but we all have opinions.

# 80

[quote user="GMENAGAIN"]

[quote user="Kruunch"][quote user="RoanokeFan"]I didn't catch the whole interview but when I tuned in Harry was talking about the concussion issue. He agreed with Warner, and not with Toomer, explaining how his life has been affected by "Post Concussive Syndrome (PCS)."[/quote] Big difference between Harry and Kurt .... Harry didn't say he wouldn't want this children to play football ... and then let them play football. And the hypocrisy of this is astounding (both from people on these boards and the NFL personalities). Simple way to end the drama ... ban the sport. Otherwise you're just creating more hot air.[/quote]

If it was his choice, he probably wouldn'twant his kids to play football.He is obviously allowing his kids to participate in whatever activities they choose . . . . hence, it is nothis choice.

I caught some of Carson's interview on Sirius too . . . . he always does a great job on the air.

[/quote]

I would love to have a chance to talk with harry about anything

# 80

[quote user="GMENAGAIN"]

[quote user="Kruunch"][quote user="RoanokeFan"]I didn't catch the whole interview but when I tuned in Harry was talking about the concussion issue.* He agreed with Warner, and not with Toomer, explaining how his life has been affected by "Post Concussive Syndrome (PCS)."[/quote] Big difference between Harry and Kurt .... Harry didn't say he wouldn't want this children to play football ... and then let them play football. And the hypocrisy of this is astounding (both from people on these boards and the NFL personalities). Simple way to end the drama ... ban the sport. Otherwise you're just creating more hot air.[/quote]

If it was his choice, he probably wouldn't*want his kids to play football.**He is obviously allowing his kids to participate in whatever activities they choose* . . . .* hence, it is not*his choice.****

I caught some of Carson's interview on Sirius too . . . . he always does a great job on the air.*

[/quote]

Of course it's his choice ... their oldest kid is 15 (not including the two adopted ones from a previous marriage). You need parental consent to play football at that age.

Somehow I don't get the sense that he's all against it and his wife overrode his decision.

And yeah i totally agree about Harry's interview .... always a pleasure listening to him talk.

[quote user="RoanokeFan"]I'm not sure how my hoping they find a way to make the game lees life altering is hypocritical, but we all have opinions.
    [/quote]

Because that's like trying to find a way to get your girlfriend only a "little" pregnant after declaring how bad pregnancy is.

I'm not trying to pick on you specifically RF ... it's just that the whole issue about player safety revolving around a sport known, watched and loved for its brutality strikes me as a bit disengenuous.

Sort of like when the NFL fined and suspended James Harrison for his vicious hits while at the same time selling the video of his most vicious hits on the NFL store.