+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

KURT WARNER RESPONDS TO CRITICS: I LOVE FOOTBALL, BUT NOT THE VIOLENCE

KURT WARNER RESPONDS TO CRITICS: I LOVE FOOTBALL, BUT NOT THE VIOLENCE

"Two-time NFL MVP Kurt Warner said last week that <a href="http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/05/03/kurt-warner-would-prefer-his-sons-not-play-football/">he
    would prefer for his sons not to play football</a>, and although <a href="http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/05/03/kurt-warer-clarifies-his-comments-says-hed-love-his-sons-to-play-football/">he
    later backed off those comments</a>, he was hammered by former players <a href="http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/05/03/amani-toomer-kurt-warner-is-trying-to-trash-the-game-of-football/">Amani
    Toomer</a> and <a href="http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/05/04/merril-hoge-kurt-warner-is-uneducated-and-irresponsible/">Merril
    Hoge</a> for giving a bad impression of a great game.

Now Warner has <a href="http://www.kurtwarner.org/blog/?p=36">issued a
    lengthy response on his website</a>, saying that he loves the game of football,
    but he is concerned that the game has grown so violent that it could leave his
    sons and other players who play it with serious injuries.</p>

“I am constantly concerned about my kids and the violence of the game of
    football. I worry about them suffering head trauma and developing any long-term
    issues as a result of that injury,” Warner writes. “So yes, I love this game and
    all the things that it taught me and afforded me along the way, but regardless
    of all that I have a responsibility to my kids. I cannot be oblivious to the
    risks of the game of football simply because it was good to me. . . . I love the
    X’s and O’s of the game. I love the strategy of the game of football. I love the
    competitiveness of playing the greatest team sport in the world, where 11 guys
    must come together at the same time for the team to have success. I love the
    chess match within each game, the moves and countermoves and the pressure filled
    responses that dictate who will be the victor. I love the discipline and hard
    work that is required to succeed in any sport, especially the game of football.
    Yet, at the same time I am fully aware of the one aspect that I do not love: the
    violence.”</p>

Warner says he has a fundamental disagreement with Hoge about the nature of
    concussions and how to treat them. Hoge says concussions will never be
    completely prevented, but that proper treatment is of paramount importance.
    Warner says prevention of concussions should be the first priority. And Warner
    says Toomer is wrong to think expressing concern about his sons suffering
    injuries equates to trashing the game of football.</p>

“I don’t know why it is so hard for people to understand how I can BOTH love
    the game and be grateful for what it did for me and at the same time have
    concern for my kids in regards to playing it,” Warner said. “Why does it have to
    be one or the other?”</p>

Warner has spoken a lot about concussions, and he has no intention of
    stopping.</p>

“I believe I have a lot to offer to fans and players of the game due to my
    being educated and informed on most things football,” Warner writes. “Therefore,
    I will continue to passionately share my feelings, both on the areas that I love
    and the concerns I have, to hopefully generate continual dialogue on how we can
    improve all things football moving into the future.”</p>

The discussions about brain injuries in football are not going away, and
    Warner will continue to be a part of those discussions."</p>
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

Re: KURT WARNER RESPONDS TO CRITICS: I LOVE FOOTBALL, BUT NOT THE VIOLENCE

[quote user="RoanokeFan"]KURT WARNER RESPONDS TO CRITICS:* I LOVE FOOTBALL, BUT NOT THE VIOLENCE

"Two-time NFL MVP Kurt Warner said last week that <a href="http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/05/03/kurt-warner-would-prefer-his-sons-not-play-football/">he
    would prefer for his sons not to play football</a>, and although <a href="http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/05/03/kurt-warer-clarifies-his-comments-says-hed-love-his-sons-to-play-football/">he
    later backed off those comments</a>, he was hammered by former players <a href="http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/05/03/amani-toomer-kurt-warner-is-trying-to-trash-the-game-of-football/">Amani
    Toomer</a> and <a href="http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/05/04/merril-hoge-kurt-warner-is-uneducated-and-irresponsible/">Merril

issues as a result of that injury,” Warner writes. “So yes, I love this game and
    risks of the game of football simply because it was good to me. . . . I love the
    X’s and O’s of the game. I love the strategy of the game of football. I love the
    chess match within each game, the moves and countermoves and the pressure filled
    Yet, at the same time I am fully aware of the one aspect that I do not love: the
    violence.”</p>

concern for my kids in regards to playing it,” Warner said. “Why does it have to

stopping.</p>

being educated and informed on most things football,” Warner writes. “Therefore,
    I will continue to passionately share my feelings, both on the areas that I love

[/quote]

So he loves flag football?

No pads = 80% less injuries. I'm just going to keep putting that out there.

[quote user="THE_New_York_Giants"][quote user="RoanokeFan"]KURT WARNER RESPONDS TO CRITICS: I LOVE FOOTBALL, BUT NOT THE VIOLENCE

violence.”</p>

stopping.</p>

[/quote]

No pads = 80% less injuries. I'm just going to keep putting that out there.[/quote]

That's a very short-sighted view, IMO. I love football just as much as anyone. But you can't ignore the evidence being amassed and just say "Oh well."

There seems to be enough clear evidence that there is a direct correlation between repeated head trauma and permanent neurological disorders. It has to be addressed and we can only hope that protective equipment can be designed to reduce the impact.

The problem that I see is that getting hit in the head, like helmet to helmet, results in the brain moving within the skull damaging opposite sides of the brain. How do you design equipment that can reduce or eliminate that movement?
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

[quote user="RoanokeFan"][quote user="THE_New_York_Giants"][quote user="RoanokeFan"]KURT WARNER RESPONDS TO CRITICS:* I LOVE FOOTBALL, BUT NOT THE VIOLENCE

violence.”</p>

stopping.</p>

[/quote]

No pads = 80% less injuries. I'm just going to keep putting that out there.[/quote]

That's a very short-sighted view, IMO.* I love football just as much as anyone.* But you can't ignore the evidence being amassed and just say "Oh well."

There seems to be enough clear evidence that there is a direct correlation between repeated head trauma and permanent neurological disorders.* It has to be addressed and we can only hope that protective equipment can be designed to reduce the impact.

The problem that I see is that getting hit in the head, like helmet to helmet, results in the brain moving within the skull damaging opposite sides of the brain.* How do you design equipment that can reduce or eliminate that movement?
    [/quote]
    You get rid of the equipment so that they can no longer use the equipment as weapons. As long as their are hard helmets and hard shoulder pads, there will be traumatic head injuries. Watch rugby or aussie rules. There are significantly less injuries. It is physically impossible to make it so the brain won't move around in the skull when the head gets hit. You can have a diamond plated helmet and the brain will still get rattled.

[quote user="RoanokeFan"][quote user="THE_New_York_Giants"][quote user="RoanokeFan"]KURT WARNER RESPONDS TO CRITICS: I LOVE FOOTBALL, BUT NOT THE VIOLENCE

"Two-time NFL MVP Kurt Warner said last week that he would prefer for his sons not to play football, and although he later backed off those comments, he was hammered by former players Amani Toomer and Merril Hoge for giving a bad impression of a great game.

Now Warner has issued a lengthy response on his website, saying that he loves the game of football, but he is concerned that the game has grown so violent that it could leave his sons and other players who play it with serious injuries.</P>

“I am constantly concerned about my kids and the violence of the game of football. I worry about them suffering head trauma and developing any long-term issues as a result of that injury,” Warner writes. “So yes, I love this game and all the things that it taught me and afforded me along the way, but regardless of all that I have a responsibility to my kids. I cannot be oblivious to the risks of the game of football simply because it was good to me. . . . I love the X’s and O’s of the game. I love the strategy of the game of football. I love the competitiveness of playing the greatest team sport in the world, where 11 guys must come together at the same time for the team to have success. I love the chess match within each game, the moves and countermoves and the pressure filled responses that dictate who will be the victor. I love the discipline and hard work that is required to succeed in any sport, especially the game of football. Yet, at the same time I am fully aware of the one aspect that I do not love: the violence.”</P>

Warner says he has a fundamental disagreement with Hoge about the nature of concussions and how to treat them. Hoge says concussions will never be completely prevented, but that proper treatment is of paramount importance. Warner says prevention of concussions should be the first priority. And Warner says Toomer is wrong to think expressing concern about his sons suffering injuries equates to trashing the game of football.</P>

“I don’t know why it is so hard for people to understand how I can BOTH love the game and be grateful for what it did for me and at the same time have concern for my kids in regards to playing it,” Warner said. “Why does it have to be one or the other?”</P>

Warner has spoken a lot about concussions, and he has no intention of stopping.</P>

“I believe I have a lot to offer to fans and players of the game due to my being educated and informed on most things football,” Warner writes. “Therefore, I will continue to passionately share my feelings, both on the areas that I love and the concerns I have, to hopefully generate continual dialogue on how we can improve all things football moving into the future.”</P>

The discussions about brain injuries in football are not going away, and Warner will continue to be a part of those discussions."</P>

[/quote] So he loves flag football? No pads = 80% less injuries. I'm just going to keep putting that out there.[/quote]

That's a very short-sighted view, IMO. I love football just as much as anyone. But you can't ignore the evidence being amassed and just say "Oh well."

There seems to be enough clear evidence that there is a direct correlation between repeated head trauma and permanent neurological disorders. It has to be addressed and we can only hope that protective equipment can be designed to reduce the impact.

The problem that I see is that getting hit in the head, like helmet to helmet, results in the brain moving within the skull damaging opposite sides of the brain. How do you design equipment that can reduce or eliminate that movement?
    [/quote]</P>

I am completely shocked at the criticism Warner has gotten from other (former) players.</P>

That guy played for a lot of years and took a lot of hits in the league. He has the standing to say what he did and good for him to show the guts to do so.</P>

Given what we are still learning about the consequences long term for playing in the NFL, its inexplicable that other players would come down on him.</P>

Inexplicable and incredibly dissapointing.</P>
    Get well soon 80.

[quote user="RoanokeFan"][quote user="THE_New_York_Giants"][quote user="RoanokeFan"]KURT WARNER RESPONDS TO CRITICS: I LOVE FOOTBALL, BUT NOT THE VIOLENCE

"Two-time NFL MVP Kurt Warner said last week that he would prefer for his sons not to play football, and although he later backed off those comments, he was hammered by former players Amani Toomer and Merril Hoge for giving a bad impression of a great game.

Now Warner has issued a lengthy response on his website, saying that he loves the game of football, but he is concerned that the game has grown so violent that it could leave his sons and other players who play it with serious injuries.</P>

“I am constantly concerned about my kids and the violence of the game of football. I worry about them suffering head trauma and developing any long-term issues as a result of that injury,” Warner writes. “So yes, I love this game and all the things that it taught me and afforded me along the way, but regardless of all that I have a responsibility to my kids. I cannot be oblivious to the risks of the game of football simply because it was good to me. . . . I love the X’s and O’s of the game. I love the strategy of the game of football. I love the competitiveness of playing the greatest team sport in the world, where 11 guys must come together at the same time for the team to have success. I love the chess match within each game, the moves and countermoves and the pressure filled responses that dictate who will be the victor. I love the discipline and hard work that is required to succeed in any sport, especially the game of football. Yet, at the same time I am fully aware of the one aspect that I do not love: the violence.”</P>

Warner says he has a fundamental disagreement with Hoge about the nature of concussions and how to treat them. Hoge says concussions will never be completely prevented, but that proper treatment is of paramount importance. Warner says prevention of concussions should be the first priority. And Warner says Toomer is wrong to think expressing concern about his sons suffering injuries equates to trashing the game of football.</P>

“I don’t know why it is so hard for people to understand how I can BOTH love the game and be grateful for what it did for me and at the same time have concern for my kids in regards to playing it,” Warner said. “Why does it have to be one or the other?”</P>

Warner has spoken a lot about concussions, and he has no intention of stopping.</P>

“I believe I have a lot to offer to fans and players of the game due to my being educated and informed on most things football,” Warner writes. “Therefore, I will continue to passionately share my feelings, both on the areas that I love and the concerns I have, to hopefully generate continual dialogue on how we can improve all things football moving into the future.”</P>

The discussions about brain injuries in football are not going away, and Warner will continue to be a part of those discussions."</P>

[/quote] So he loves flag football? No pads = 80% less injuries. I'm just going to keep putting that out there.[/quote]

[/quote]</P>

I remember many years ago they were trying to develop a soft helmet.</P>

Maybe they weren't "shiney" enough for TV.</P>
    Get well soon 80.

[quote user="Morehead State"][quote user="RoanokeFan"][quote user="THE_New_York_Giants"][quote user="RoanokeFan"]KURT WARNER RESPONDS TO CRITICS: I LOVE FOOTBALL, BUT NOT THE VIOLENCE

Now Warner has issued a lengthy response on his website, saying that he loves the game of football, but he is concerned that the game has grown so violent that it could leave his sons and other players who play it with serious injuries.</p>

“I am constantly concerned about my kids and the violence of the game of football. I worry about them suffering head trauma and developing any long-term issues as a result of that injury,” Warner writes. “So yes, I love this game and all the things that it taught me and afforded me along the way, but regardless of all that I have a responsibility to my kids. I cannot be oblivious to the risks of the game of football simply because it was good to me. . . . I love the X’s and O’s of the game. I love the strategy of the game of football. I love the competitiveness of playing the greatest team sport in the world, where 11 guys must come together at the same time for the team to have success. I love the chess match within each game, the moves and countermoves and the pressure filled responses that dictate who will be the victor. I love the discipline and hard work that is required to succeed in any sport, especially the game of football. Yet, at the same time I am fully aware of the one aspect that I do not love: the violence.”</p>

Warner says he has a fundamental disagreement with Hoge about the nature of concussions and how to treat them. Hoge says concussions will never be completely prevented, but that proper treatment is of paramount importance. Warner says prevention of concussions should be the first priority. And Warner says Toomer is wrong to think expressing concern about his sons suffering injuries equates to trashing the game of football.</p>

“I don’t know why it is so hard for people to understand how I can BOTH love the game and be grateful for what it did for me and at the same time have concern for my kids in regards to playing it,” Warner said. “Why does it have to be one or the other?”</p>

Warner has spoken a lot about concussions, and he has no intention of stopping.</p>

“I believe I have a lot to offer to fans and players of the game due to my being educated and informed on most things football,” Warner writes. “Therefore, I will continue to passionately share my feelings, both on the areas that I love and the concerns I have, to hopefully generate continual dialogue on how we can improve all things football moving into the future.”</p>

The discussions about brain injuries in football are not going away, and Warner will continue to be a part of those discussions."</p>

[/quote]</p>

I remember many years ago they were trying to develop a soft helmet.</p>

Maybe they weren't "shiney" enough for TV.</p>[/quote]

It is going to be an interesting debate

# 80

Players are bigger stronger and faster. The game is different than when it was designed.</P>

But joints and brains are just as vulnerable.</P>

Unfortunately, there aint no restrictor plates in football.</P>
    Get well soon 80.

yes, its a 19th century game played with 21st century scientifically enhanced all-world athletes.

its been a century of an arms race trying to get a hold of bigger, stronger, faster players. you would have to create weight classes and restrictions to encourage lighter players, and less wear and tear and hitting force. or make the field wider, to put such big players at a disadvantage and encourage smaller, faster open field players.

or, take away the pads and make it impossible for such big bodies to stay on the field for long. a couple of normal human beings playing pickup tackle football rarely have any serious injuries. stick huge athletes out there, and their shoulders will wear out.

take away the helmets, and you won't have guys using their heads as weapons. unless they want to be kamikaze hitters

Of course a QB like Warner doesn't like the violence. He's usually on the receiving end of those hits.
    What's the point of view from someone delivering the hits like the players on defense?