+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

NFL.com article-Giants one of four teams to "Ace" draft

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...module=HP11_cp

I am stoked about this draft. I know a poster or two mocked me for saying this draft was genius by JR and just another in the list of his excellent moves as GM, but I do believe that these players, at least the top 4 picks, will all be solid contributors to the team, and one or two of them could be the real deal at their position league-wide...

btw, quick question, is the above assessment that absurd to the point somebody made fun of it?

Re: NFL.com article-Giants one of four teams to "Ace" draft

[quote user="giantsfan420"]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d828ed138/article/bengals-patriots-giants-chiefs-ace-2012-nfl-draft?module=HP11_cp

I am stoked about this draft. I know a poster or two mocked me for saying this draft was genius by JR and just another in the list of his excellent moves as GM, but I do believe that these players, at least the top 4 picks, will all be solid contributors to the team, and one or two of them could be the real deal at their position league-wide...

btw, quick question, is the above assessment that absurd to the point somebody made fun of it?[/quote]

People on this board are still pissin' and moanin' that we didn't get Martin. Wilson has star potential.

MOst drafts don't result in solid contributions from the top 4, so maybe this is what they scoffed at.
    In the tough times we find out who we are...that's why I know VC will be back better than ever in 2015. #80 NYG4life!

[quote user="giantsfan420"]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d828ed138/article/bengals-patriots-giants-chiefs-ace-2012-nfl-draft?module=HP11_cp

btw, quick question, is the above assessment that absurd to the point somebody made fun of it?[/quote]

People on this board are still pissin' and moanin' that we didn't get Martin. Wilson has star potential.

MOst drafts don't result in solid contributions from the top 4, so maybe this is what they scoffed at.
    In the tough times we find out who we are...that's why I know VC will be back better than ever in 2015. #80 NYG4life!

I agree with you. We got a very highly rated RB (which we needed), a "pro-ready" WR (which we needed), CB depth with a guy in the 3rd round who was rated high enough to go in the 2nd round (and we could always use depth in the secondary) and we got a G/T (we needed help at o-line) who I've been reading lots of good things about.

I can understand the case for Fleener, but we needed more talent at RB even more than TE.
    We'll never know if ANY player will actually succeed in the NFL until they actually get on the field, but NONE of those 4 that we draft were a reach.

What's NOT to like about this draft?

[quote user="JJC7301"]I agree with you. We got a very highly rated RB (which we needed), a "pro-ready" WR (which we needed), CB depth with a guy in the 3rd round who was rated high enough to go in the 2nd round (and we could always use depth in the secondary) and we got a G/T (we needed help at o-line) who I've been reading lots of good things about.

I can understand the case for Fleener, but we needed more talent at RB even more than TE.
    We'll never know if ANY player will actually succeed in the NFL until they actually get on the field, but NONE of those 4 that we draft were a reach.

What's NOT to like about this draft?[/quote]

yeah good post.

and i dont know, I loved this draft and see a ton of potential from pick 1-7...dont want to get into negativity but the term "fanboy" was thrown around bc of the opinions that we have the most talent on our offense which nfl.com wrote an article about, that JR is the best GM, how we could be unstoppable if the offense and defense play to their potential and how this draft was genius...enough of that it was lame for me to even bring up...

back to the draft, I agree with the poster who said some might be pissed we didnt get Martin, but imo, Wilson possesses elite skillsets although he isnt as ready as Martin.

I also totally agree with Ross, Reese, and Cosell on how Randle is similar to Nicks, if he can give us half of what Nicks does, my goodness. I think Randle could be effective on the perimeter or the slot. I also believe JJ will be a huge surprise to the league and could actually be a D.Jackson type player for us...except JJ will go across the middle...

Hosley has an arm span like JPP, and if he puts on 10-20 pounds, he could be a complete shut down corner with his man to man skills and ball hawking ability. You combine that with Prince, and already established Webster and the back end is top notch especially when u factor in the pass rush we should have...

I am very very excited about next season and despite Philly and Dallas improving, don't see it being enough if the rookies and 2nd yr guys come in at a somewhat high level to the team we had the final 6 games of last year...

golden era of the giants could well be shaping up...i think the dynasty word is a lil premature, but i think the whole Plax thing set us back, but it could turn out to be a blessing in disguise...

Apparently you had missed the point. Nobody was mocking the idea of a good draft. It was the absolute certainty that was being mocked. The fact is, whether you want to accept it or not, is that no draft can be evaluated for what it is until years later.

To call any draft genius before players even make it out of training camp is ridiculous at best.

Chad Jones, Phillip Dillard, Clint Sintim, Ramses Barden, Travis Beckum, Andre Brown, Bryan Kehl, Jay Alford, and Zak Deossie are ALL guys we have drafted in the first 4 rounds since 2007 that havent been worth the draft picks. Some of them never even seeing the field..

Be excited about the possibilities of our prospects. But saying they are genius moves when none of them have proved a thing is getting old. Its called having perspective.

And really, bringing up a forum argument that happened 2 weeks ago? Sounds a bit like troll-baiting to me...

[quote user="giantsfan420"][quote user="JJC7301"]I agree with you. We got a very highly rated RB (which we needed), a "pro-ready" WR (which we needed), CB depth with a guy in the 3rd round who was rated high enough to go in the 2nd round (and we could always use depth in the secondary) and we got a G/T (we needed help at o-line) who I've been reading lots of good things about.

yeah good post.

and i dont know, I loved this draft and see a ton of potential from pick 1-7...dont want to get into negativity but the term "fanboy" was thrown around bc of the opinions that we have the most talent on our offense which nfl.com wrote an article about, that JR is the best GM, how we could be unstoppable if the offense and defense play to their potential and how this draft was genius...enough of that it was lame for me to even bring up...

back to the draft, I agree with the poster who said some might be pissed we didnt get Martin, but imo, Wilson possesses elite skillsets although he isnt as ready as Martin.

I also totally agree with Ross, Reese, and Cosell on how Randle is similar to Nicks, if he can give us half of what Nicks does, my goodness. I think Randle could be effective on the perimeter or the slot. I also believe JJ will be a huge surprise to the league and could actually be a D.Jackson type player for us...except JJ will go across the middle...

Hosley has an arm span like JPP, and if he puts on 10-20 pounds, he could be a complete shut down corner with his man to man skills and ball hawking ability. You combine that with Prince, and already established Webster and the back end is top notch especially when u factor in the pass rush we should have...

I am very very excited about next season and despite Philly and Dallas improving, don't see it being enough if the rookies and 2nd yr guys come in at a somewhat high level to the team we had the final 6 games of last year...

golden era of the giants could well be shaping up...i think the dynasty word is a lil premature, but i think the whole Plax thing set us back, but it could turn out to be a blessing in disguise...[/quote]
    Yeah, I'm excited to see what our 1st 3 picks from last year can bring to the table as well -- Prince, Austin, and JJ. There's a lot of young talent coming aboard this year competing for spots -- and this is just 1 season after winning the SB.

We've got Eli, receivers, a great d-line, improving secondary, great coaches and FO -- thinking about a dynasty is not insane.

[quote user="AGiantDynasty"]Apparently you had missed the point. Nobody was mocking the idea of a good draft. It was the absolute certainty that was being mocked. The fact is, whether you want to accept it or not, is that no draft can be evaluated for what it is until years later.

To call any draft genius before players even make it out of training camp is ridiculous at best.

Chad Jones, Phillip Dillard, Clint Sintim, Ramses Barden, Travis Beckum, Andre Brown, Bryan Kehl, Jay Alford, and Zak Deossie are ALL guys we have drafted in the first 4 rounds since 2007 that havent been worth the draft picks. Some of them never even seeing the field..

Be excited about the possibilities of our prospects. But saying they are genius moves when none of them have proved a thing is getting old. Its called having perspective.

And really, bringing up a forum argument that happened 2 weeks ago? Sounds a bit like troll-baiting to me...
    [/quote]
    Zak DeOssie has most certainly been worth the pick.

I don't think it's fair to throw Jones in the mix as he was injured in an accident before he could even prove what he could do.

So, I assume you don't express pleasure or displeasure at a draft until 3-5 years afterwords?

[quote user="AGiantDynasty"]Apparently you had missed the point.* Nobody was mocking the idea of a good draft.* It was the absolute certainty that was being mocked.* The fact is, whether you want to accept it or not, is that no draft can be evaluated for what it is until years later.

To call any draft genius before players even make it out of training camp is ridiculous at best.*

Chad Jones, Phillip Dillard, Clint Sintim, Ramses Barden, Travis Beckum, Andre Brown, Bryan Kehl,* Jay Alford, and Zak Deossie* are ALL guys we have drafted in the first 4 rounds since 2007 that havent been worth the draft picks.* Some of them never even seeing the field..

Be excited about the possibilities of our prospects. But saying they are genius moves when none of them have proved a thing is getting old.* Its called having perspective.*

And really, bringing up a forum argument that happened 2 weeks ago?* Sounds a bit like troll-baiting to me...
    [/quote]

i guess thats fair, try not to sound so condescending and pretentious tho, it'd be easy to take your last post the wrong way. but isn't it already accepted that the picks could miss out. i dont think anyone, at least not me, thinks that "its 100% guaranteed" they work out...

that said, don't know how to word my excitement about the possibilities of the players in a way that comes off that I'm not certain...what should I do, preface that I'm stoked with the draft and the players we got, but that they could suck??? i mean is it too early to proclaim JPP a hit? was it too early to proclaim Nicks a hit last season? I don't get it, I think that it really is more of "you" have a difference in opinion than "me" (not literally you and me) and that some feel that we have to put into writing that the picks could very well bust, when others feel that if they bust theres more than enough time and space to comment on that...i don't think its a crime to be stoked on players...especially whenn the front office displays a certainty about the picks themselves, and i think that things get testy around here when one starts thinking their "perspective" is the only one thats valid...jmho

eh...whatever. and no, not a troll attempt at all...honestly wondered how some get angry at some for their opinions and excitement. not about a "me vs you" or anything like that, theres more than enough people who get called our and mocked one way or the other. it was an honest question...

edit- and I dont know the difference when guys like Mayock and other analysts call drafts genius and when fans do it. the draft and prospects are widely studied for a long time leading up to the draft, if you can get certain value at certain picks, why is it unfair to call a draft genius?
    was JR picking Prince not a genius move? was it not exceptionally extreme value?does it work on the flip side, is it wrong to say taking a 7th round or undrafted fre agent prospect in the 1rst is moronic bc "we dont know how it'll work out..."eh like i said, honest question I see ur point

[quote user="JJC7301"][quote user="giantsfan420"][quote user="JJC7301"]I agree with you. We got a very highly rated RB (which we needed), a "pro-ready" WR (which we needed), CB depth with a guy in the 3rd round who was rated high enough to go in the 2nd round (and we could always use depth in the secondary) and we got a G/T (we needed help at o-line) who I've been reading lots of good things about.

yeah good post.

golden era of the giants could well be shaping up...i think the dynasty word is a lil premature, but i think the whole Plax thing set us back, but it could turn out to be a blessing in disguise...[/quote]
    Yeah, I'm excited to see what our 1st 3 picks from last year can bring to the table as well -- Prince, Austin, and JJ. There's a lot of young talent coming aboard this year competing for spots -- and this is just 1 season after winning the SB.

We've got Eli, receivers, a great d-line, improving secondary, great coaches and FO -- thinking about a dynasty is not insane.[/quote]

the future is bright thats for damn sure