+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Is Cruz better in the slot or on the outside?

I was just reading Gilbride's assessment on how he feels Cruz was better in the slot and I can't disagree more. His two TD's against Philly were from the outside. Jets TD he was lined up wide. Seahawks wide. I realize it's a Cadillac problem having a WR who can do both but I think he should line up on the outside at least 60% of the time.

Re: Is Cruz better in the slot or on the outside?

Cruz gained ~1300 of his 1536 yards from the slot. I think Gilbride knows what he's talking about.

Also, Cruz lined up outside around 55% of the time last season so I don't see what your issue is.

[quote user="FloydEddings2"]I was just reading Gilbride's assessment on how he feels Cruz was better in the slot and I can't disagree more. His two TD's against Philly were from the outside. Jets TD he was lined up wide. Seahawks wide. I realize it's a Cadillac problem having a WR who can do both but I think he should line up on the outside at least 60% of the time.[/quote]

I think he has more big plays on the outside because of his speed along with there being less traffic on the outside. But because hes so quick and shifty and a good route runner, he is more valuable on the inside. He has more of a chance to be explosive on the outside, but a better chance of being successful on the inside.

[quote user="Flip Empty"]Cruz gained ~1300 of his 1536 yards from the slot. I think Gilbride knows what he's talking about.

Also, Cruz lined up outside around 55% of the time last season so I don't see what your issue is.[/quote]

yeah no matter what happens, all of our wr's will shift around, besides nicks.

See this article for proof that he is way better in the slot than outside.

I said it months ago when people seemed to think we will put Cruz outside and JJ inside, we are going to keep Cruz in the slot when it is 3 wr sets. We would be crazy not to.

JJ may end up being a fine player, but unless there is an injury he is likely going to see limmited action because he is behind a guy who is the very best in the league at his position. Some posters here suggested we move Voctor outside and let JJ play inside, a point I argued strongly against. You don't take a guy who is the best in the league at 1 spot and move him to another. The Giants selected Rueben Randle in the 2nd round, a clear cut outside WR. This pretty much confirms exactly what I said.

I think he translates very well on the outside, I've posted plenty about it, but you can't deny his production in the slot.

My reasoning is, is that a WR who can win on the outside (which Cruz has the physical skills to do), is a lot more valuable to us than a slot WR who can be kept in check with less complex bracket schemes.

Can Cruz be doubled outside? Yes, of course, but with Nicks outside as well, having to double the X, and the Z I find to be much more difficult a task than doubling an X, and bracketing a Y with a linebacker. I also find slot receivers to be much more easily replaced than a WR who can win on the outside, but that's just my (possibly flawed) perception. This is why I lobbied for a guy like Marvin Jones before the draft, I think he can do it all.

But I've, despite 20+ posts of lobbying for Cruz as an outside guy have given up since the drafting of Randle. Now I think of the potency of a proven terror in the slot, an X receiver in Nicks who can win outside (even when doubled sometimes), and a potential all star in Randle. That gets me going.

[quote user="BlueSanta"]See this article for proof that he is way better in the slot than outside.

[/quote]I wouldn't call that proof, as much as I would call it convincing.

I can't, and no one can, deny that Cruz had excellent production (probably better production than any WR in the league, regardless of formation), and most came from the slot. He is, like the article says, perhaps the BEST slot receiver in the NFL.

Make no mistake though, Cruz's ball skills, hands, route running, and speed translate very very well on the outside, in particular for what you look for in a Z receiver, in a dominant Z receiver. I have likened this kid to Marvin Harrison before, I really like his potential. Now, isn't it safe to say that a dominant outside receiver, is more valuable than a dominant slot receiver? They both have their benefits, but I thnk the assumption is safe to make.

Now I do agree that moves the Giants have made this offseason support your theory, not mine, but is any of what I've said flawed in logic?

[quote user="Flip Empty"]Cruz gained ~1300 of his 1536 yards from the slot. I think Gilbride knows what he's talking about.

Also, Cruz lined up outside around 55% of the time last season so I don't see what your issue is.[/quote]

I haven't charted the games but those stats seem off. 85% of his yards came from the slot? Well if that's true then yeah, he's doing ok.

That stat is not correct.
    I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

[quote user="FloydEddings2"]I was just reading Gilbride's assessment on how he feels Cruz was better in the slot and I can't disagree more. His two TD's against Philly were from the outside. Jets TD he was lined up wide. Seahawks wide. I realize it's a Cadillac problem having a WR who can do both but I think he should line up on the outside at least 60% of the time.[/quote]

I think Cruz is more natural on the outside but he's our best slot receiver so in that sense, he's best in the slot.

Cruz made some really great strides learning the slot position last season.
    I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)