KEVIN GILBRIDE SHEDS SOME LIGHT...

GIANTS' KEVIN GILBRIDE: VICTOR CRUZ WILL REMAIN SLOT RECEIVER

"While appearing at Southern Connecticut State University alongside wide
    receiver Hakeem Nicks, New York Giants offensive coordinator Kevin
    Gilbride
    fielded a wide range of questions on Monday night. Among them
    were inquiries about wideout Victor
    Cruz
    and which role he'll play on offense during the 2012-2013 season.

Ending all the previous speculation, Gilbride said Cruz would remain the slot
    receiver.

“[The slot receiver] was what Cruz was this year. He can play the outside,
    but he was much more proficient inside," Gilbride said. “You need that third
    guy. Hopefully, if not one of our returning veterans, Randle will be able to
    give us what we’re looking for.”

In other words, it will be an open competition between Jerrel
    Jernigan
    , Ramses
    Barden
    , Domenik
    Hixon
    and Rueben
    Randle
    for the second outside spot. And although it's not necessarily a
    scenario that benefits the 5'9'' Jernigan, whom head coach Tom Coughlin once
    jokingly referred to as "One Play JJ", Gilbride feels he has the mental tools
    required to learn and adapt to the new position.

Gilbride also touched on the offensive line and the potential alignment,
    saying David Diehl at right tackle and Kevin Boothe at left guard will likely be
    the configuration.

"That would certainly seem to be the most likely way to do it," Gilbride
    said. "Those are your five guys starting. If we keep Beatty healthy, he's
    already out now. You have five starters but you got to get some guys behind that
    come to the forefront in case one of them goes down."

Finally, the offensive coordinator answered some questions on the newly
    signed Martellus Bennett, saying the tight end has everything necessary to make
    a big impact for Big Blue.

“I think he has the chance to be a very good all-around player; blocker,
    receiver, the whole bit,” Gilbride said. “He just hasn’t done it to the
    satisfaction of the Dallas people. We look at him and we see as a guy that
    physically has the chance to be very good.”

The Giants have done a great job amassing bodies that can fill in at a number
    of different positions, and they continued to do that through the 2012 NFL Draft.
    Ultimately, one word comes to mind: Dynamic.

So long as the offensive line can stay healthy this season, New York's
    offense could very well field more firepower than we've seen of any Giants team
    in recent memory."

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Re: KEVIN GILBRIDE SHEDS SOME LIGHT...

" more firepower than we've seen of any Giants team in recent memory."

that has a real nice sound to it...

"Ultimately, one word comes to mind: Dynamic."

-------------------------------------------------------------

Great Word for our team. Maybe "dynasty" in the near future.

WIN GIANTS!! WIN IT ALL!!

Bench Player

This offense should be tight. Ive never seen the Giants with this much talent on Offense.

All-Pro

They dont call him the Slot Machine for nothing.

Crrruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuzzz!

Veteran

Wow very informative. I really thought Jernigan was going to be used in the slot a lot, looks like Nicks Cruz and Randle are the top 3 guys though.

I read this as "kevin gilbride sheds some weight". I laughed

[quote user="NY_Eli"]Wow very informative. I really thought Jernigan was going to be used in the slot a lot, looks like Nicks Cruz and Randle are the top 3 guys though.[/quote]

I'd say it looks like the top 2 guys are Hicks and Cruz and the 3rd will be decided between JJ, Hixon and Barden. RR has done nothing yet. The Giants are not just going to hand him the job. It's not there MO. Especially when RR runs his Route Tree with our DB's draped all over him. JJ played outside as well as the slot at Troy. I looked at his highlights once again and compared them to RR' highlights. JJ looks far more impressive after the catch.Carolina's Steve Smith is 5'9 and 185 the same as JJ and has been very productive outside. Jernigan has equal tools if not better ones. I still think Randle will contribute as the 4th WR only unless Cruz has a Sophmore slump and JJ goes to the slot and RR goes outside. Fact is one of those 4 will be hurt at one point or another and all will have there shot to get the job done. I hope to be eating crow about Randle come this Fall but I don't think I 'll be chewing on Jernigan crow. He IS the real deal!

[quote user="Shockeystays08"][quote user="NY_Eli"]Wow very informative. I really thought Jernigan was going to be used in the slot a lot, looks like Nicks Cruz and Randle are the top 3 guys though.[/quote]

I'd say it looks like the top 2 guys are Hicks and Cruz and the 3rd will be decided between JJ, Hixon and Barden. RR has done nothing yet. The Giants are not just going to hand him the job. It's not there MO. Especially when RR runs his Route Tree with our DB's draped all over him. JJ played outside as well as the slot at Troy. I looked at his highlights once again and compared them to RR' highlights. JJ looks far more impressive after the catch.Carolina's Steve Smith is 5'9 and 185 the same as JJ and has been very productive outside. Jernigan has equal tools if not better ones. I still think Randle will contribute as the 4th WR only unless Cruz has a Sophmore slump and JJ goes to the slot and RR goes outside. Fact is one of those 4 will be hurt at one point or another and all will have there shot to get the job done. I hope to be eating crow about Randle come this Fall but I don't think I 'll be chewing on Jernigan crow. He IS the real deal![/quote]

I'm inclined to take Barden out of the equation.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

[quote user="RoanokeFan"][quote user="Shockeystays08"][quote user="NY_Eli"]Wow very informative. I really thought Jernigan was going to be used in the slot a lot, looks like Nicks Cruz and Randle are the top 3 guys though.[/quote]

I'd say it looks like the top 2 guys are Hicks and Cruz and the 3rd will be decided between JJ, Hixon and Barden. RR has done nothing yet. The Giants are not just going to hand him the job. It's not there MO. Especially when RR runs his Route Tree with our DB's draped all over him. JJ played outside as well as the slot at Troy. I looked at his highlights once again and compared them to RR' highlights. JJ looks far more impressive after the catch.Carolina's Steve Smith is 5'9 and 185 the same as JJ and has been very productive outside. Jernigan has equal tools if not better ones. I still think Randle will contribute as the 4th WR only unless Cruz has a Sophmore slump and JJ goes to the slot and RR goes outside. Fact is one of those 4 will be hurt at one point or another and all will have there shot to get the job done. I hope to be eating crow about Randle come this Fall but I don't think I 'll be chewing on Jernigan crow. He IS the real deal![/quote]

I'm inclined to take Barden out of the equation.
    [/quote]

I know Barden has had some injuries but up to now he's been less productive than Sinorice Moss...