+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Is Eli the greatest playoff QB ever?

Given this past postseason, Eli has put up a pretty impressive playoff resume.

NFL Record most road playoff wins by a quarterback (5)
    Most passing yards in a single postseason (1219 yards)
    Tied for 2nd with most Superbowl MVPs (2 - tied with Brady and Terry Bradshaw, only Joe Montana has more with 3)

That's pretty impressive, and I don't think he's done yet. My prediction is when it's all said and done, we'll be debating on if he was the greatest QB to ever take the field. The Giants did this franchise a huge favor making that trade for this guy.

Re: Is Eli the greatest playoff QB ever?

Joe Montana

lets count em when all is said and done, but atm its Joe.

Joe, Elway, Steve Young
    In the tough times we find out who we are...that's why I know VC will be back better than ever in 2015. #80 NYG4life!

[quote user="BlueSanta"]lets count em when all is said and done, but atm its Joe.
    [/quote]

+1

[quote user="B&RWarrior"]Joe, Elway, Steve Young[/quote]

It is Joe without any question!

Eli is better than a lot of great QBs of years past, but just not on that ridiculous of a top level. Eli may even be HOF material when it is all said and done, but unless he wins another Super Bowl, we will still have to save that kind of question for someone else.

Montana is the best QB that I ever saw play.

I would consider Bradshaw, Brady and Aikman as those following Montana's standard.

I would then put Eli at this third level.

Lastly, I would put Elway, Tarkenton, Staubach, Griese, Rothlisberger, Plunket, Starr, Warner and kelly.

The thing about Elway, is that he was one of my all time favorites to be sure, but he had some horrible Super Bowl games. He completely chocked in his second and third tries at it. I still remember watching his game against the 9ers, and he was so horrible in that.

Veteran

He was before my time, but if you are talking great playoff QBs, I'd go with Bart Starr.

5 NFL Championships (1961, 1962, 1965, 1966, 1967)

2 Super Bowl Championships(SB 1 and SB 2)

2 Super Bowl MVPs

2nd highest playoff passer rating (104)

http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/me...?PLAYER_ID=200

[quote user="JMFP2"]Bart Starr.[/quote]

He definitely crossed my mind, as did Otto Graham... but I don't have much respect for the days when the league was mostly segregated. I do appreciate their accomplishments and characters as athletes, but I have a hard time thinking that fans got to see the best of the best play. Much like my thoughts about baseball, anything prior to the 70s is hard to stomach for me. I would put Starr on that last group of QBs below Eli.

I guess that another factor about those teams in the stone age, is that players were completely subjected to the absolute control by the team owners. I am very grateful for free agency, and winning two championships today is way harder than it was for the Vince Lombardi Packers of the Mesozoic period.

[quote user="JMFP2"]

He was before my time, but if you are talking great playoff QBs, I'd go with Bart Starr.

5 NFL Championships (1961, 1962, 1965, 1966, 1967)

2 Super Bowl Championships(SB 1 and SB 2)

2 Super Bowl MVPs

2nd highest playoff passer rating (104)

http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/me...?PLAYER_ID=200

[/quote]

Starr is underrated as an all-time QB.

Arguably, Favre is only the third best QB in Packer history . . . . .

[quote user="Bohemian"][quote user="B&RWarrior"]Joe, Elway, Steve Young[/quote]

It is Joe without any question!

Eli is better than a lot of great QBs of years past, but just not on that ridiculous of a top level. Eli may even be HOF material when it is all said and done, but unless he wins another Super Bowl, we will still have to save that kind of question for someone else.

Montana is the best QB that I ever saw play.

I would consider Bradshaw, Brady and Aikman as those following Montana's standard.

I would then put Eli at this third level.

Lastly, I would put Elway, Tarkenton, Staubach, Griese, Rothlisberger, Plunket, Starr, Warner and kelly.

The thing about Elway, is that he was one of my all time favorites to be sure, but he had some horrible Super Bowl games. He completely chocked in his second and third tries at it. I still remember watching his game against the 9ers, and he was so horrible in that.
    [/quote]

I would rank Eli in that second class at least.

Montana's playoff stats are phenomenal, I just looked them up, but so are Eli's - so I think he has a shot to catch him.

I was surprised by how poor Elway's were, they were still way better than most, but compared to the rest of the elite QBs not that great.

Eli's postseason stats are currently
    2516 yards 17 TDs 8 INTs 61.5 completion precentage 89.3 passer rating with an 8-3 record.

Statistically Eli has been a better QB than Aikman as far as winning percentage, passer rating, TD/INT ratio but Aikman holds a slight edge in completion percentage.

I think what makes Eli's stats more impressive is that he did most of his winning on the road, against very high competition and has some moments that will go down in football lore as some of the greatest playoff/championship moments.