+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Should tax payers front the bill?

Should tax payers assume part of the bill to rebuild stadiums? At first I was all for tax payers contributing, but after further review I find that owners should front 100% of the bill. My reasoning is pretty simple.

If a company wants to run a business they pay for the costs. If they cant afford it, get out of the business or take a loan like everyone else.

Re: Should tax payers front the bill?

Eh, I think that it's a little more complicated than that . . . .

Indeed. But, look at the underlying principal. You have a business, you want to improve it or lose profit, you need to pay for your upgrades.

I think Minny got it right by making the owners pay for their stadium. The tax payers there want nothing to do with paying for that stadium. Are the tax payers receiving profit? nope.

Look at what the Giants org did to the fans and tax payers. Tax payers front half the bill on the stadium and then have to pay upwards of 20k to but a seat, then pay for tickets. Amazing.

Why? to pay for costs? Dig into your own pockets and pay for costs.

Your profit, your bill.

That about wraps up my half hearted rant.

Starter

I believe a very good point is raised here and is something that needs more exposure and debate. Other than public utilities, no business charges their customers for the infratructure to run their business. True, costs are passed onto customers via a pricing margin per saleable item over time to recoup construction cost and daily cost of doing business, but not via Taxpayer dollars.

Why should Aunt Mary's taxes pay for a stadium to be owned by a team for an activity she will never be a part of? Per the analogy above, if Aunt Mary goes to a store and buys an item, she pays that recoup margin by her own designs.
    Sorry, Basketball venues, Baseball Stadiums, Football stadiums, need to be paid by their owners. UNLESS, as in the bold move in Minnesota, there is a provision that those footing even a portion of the bill for building the stadium, are forever enjoined from blackouts of primary events at the venue they paid for.

Just my 2 cents.

Every city has a different situation. The loss of the Vikings would devistate the Twin cities.

Can the city recoup the cost? These things have to be worked out.

In the end, Minny will get its stadium. No way Ziggy moves it to LA. He's a good Giants fan. Therefore, a man of character.

"Phil Simms is the greatest QB in Giants history" ........Mahatma Gandhi

so by your logic if I don't have children why do I have to pay school taxes? for the record I agree with you.

I have a really hard time seeing fans pay for stuff that do not give them anything in return. I really think that property development projects, like stadiums have to show to contribute to the fans' bottom line... and so far, I just don't see it. I think that public-private partnerships are not a bad way to go, but there has to be some solid conditions and returns guaranteed for the fans and relevant communities.

[quote user="BigBlueHits"]so by your logic if I don't have children why do I have to pay school taxes? for the record I agree with you.[/quote]

Paying school taxes is not the same. The school district is part of the public sector and is not a business. I;m all for paying taxes for a new stadium but they could at least bring down season and single ticket prices for the fans especially if were flipping the bill a part of the stadium