+ Reply to Thread

good reead on David Wilson's Boom/bust potential

SI article

Nice realistic view on Wilson's future in the nfl.

Re: good reead on David Wilson's Boom/bust potential

it was a good article but i dont know about one aspect of it;

VT, as the writer described, utilized the QB option, and the QB option was run up the gut, Wilson run to the perimeter. He used that against Wilson tho for some reason. On the play he utilizes the pictures, he says the hole is wide open...except for the little problem of his own G clogging that hole. Was Wilson supposed to run into his G?
    Also, on run plays, you almost always want to follow the design. Obviously, the design was to get outside, follow the G who will get to the 2nd level and make a block...Thats what Wilson did, and he gained more yards than if he ran between the tackle...

And thats VT offense to a T, getting on the edge.

I don't see an issue for Wilson running between the tackles, Wilson will run the play to its design, thats the main reason VT was able to run the QB option as well as they did...

I also don't know if I'd compare WIlson to Barber either. I'd say Wilson is more comparable to a less powerful but faster MJD, but thats just my opinion.

I also can't wait to see Wilson play with us, bc he also has the ability to turn plays that have no blocking into big time gains, something I'm sure JR coveted and led to drafting him...

Wilson could very well be our starting back in a year or two, and should be a part of the offense this season...not worried about the fumbling, TC will take care of that...Although, I am a little bit worried that it could be an issue bc Wilson has an unorthodox style of running, it looks like he is 115% all out from the get go, which is good, but entering the hole, and when u get out into space, you want to be going full steam, but not playing with a dramatic sense of urgency bc it can lead to clustered strides and stutterstepping...

Thanks for the link

Veteran

Nice article, but as of now every player drafted or signed as an UDFA is nothing but boom/bust potential.

This offseason, we picked up 2 big blocking TE's, and 3 OTackles.

And we picked up Wilson, who's known for getting to the corner and turning up-field.

I think our running game has taken on a new direction (both figuratively and literally).
    We need our coaches to assign playing time based on something other than player salary.

[quote user="RagTime Blue"]This offseason, we picked up 2 big blocking TE's, and 3 OTackles.

And we picked up Wilson, who's known for getting to the corner and turning up-field.

I think our running game has taken on a new direction (both figuratively and literally).
    [/quote]

You have to think that there will be some level of learning to run in a new system, so there will be an adjustment to the new system and to the NFL level of play. That said, there is a lot to like about this kid. If he can figure out how to effectively come out of the back field and make some catches, I think he will be extremely dangerous. It will be fun to watch him develop.

Thanks for the read.

Thanks for the info! Good read!