+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bench Player

Going to NYC next week!

I'm going to New York City next weekend. I'm from Quebec (Canada) and I would like to know the best place to buy a Giants Jersey in NY (will surely get the David Wilson one).

Could you tell me some nice places to go with my wife (she's pregnant btw) and my parents.

Can't wait to go there.

Have a good weekend guys!

Charles

Veteran

Re: Going to NYC next week!

Check out Cosby's in front of Madison Square Garden for the jerseys.

Jeckell and Hyde is a fun place to eat...it is in the Village. It is like a dinner theatre and they serve smoking drinks..Fun touristy thing to do.

If you want cultural stuff... The Metropolitan Museum of Art, and The Guggenheim, both on the upper east side (86th Street??) of Central Park (which is a treat in inself).

See St. Pats and Rock Center at 5th Ave & 53rd. If you're planning on the Empire State Building, buy your tickets on line, it will save TONS of TIME standing in line.

Oh by the way, on display are the Terracotta (?) Warriors from China. You know those life size clay figures that are all different... and they are still finding more. They are at the Discovery Museum in Times Square. Again, buy the tickets on line to make your life easier.

And last, but not least, take the Circle Line 3 hr cruise around Manhattan. They dock at 43rd Street on the Hudson. Tickets on line my friend.

Hope this helps and enjoy the trip and stay safe!

[quote user="wolfie"]

If you want cultural stuff... The Metropolitan Museum of Art, and The Guggenheim, both on the upper east side (86th Street??) of Central Park (which is a treat in inself).

See St. Pats and Rock Center at 5th Ave & 53rd. If you're planning on the Empire State Building, buy your tickets on line, it will save TONS of TIME standing in line.

Oh by the way, on display are the Terracotta (?) Warriors from China. You know those life size clay figures that are all different... and they are still finding more. They are at the Discovery Museum in Times Square. Again, buy the tickets on line to make your life easier.

And last, but not least, take the Circle Line 3 hr cruise around Manhattan. They dock at 43rd Street on the Hudson. Tickets on line my friend.

Hope this helps and enjoy the trip and stay safe!

[/quote]
    Good advice... every bit of it.
    I've never been to South Street Seaport... do you think that's worth a stop?
    I might only add that the Ferry to Staten Island is worth the round trip.
    I took the Circle Line cruise with my grandmother and grandfather when I was 5, in 1951. That's something I'd love to do again... especially if they have a night time cruise. Manhattan is magnificent at night,

Rocafeller center, central park, empire state building, time square,ground zero, good tourist stuff.......
    Food, stay away from time square,just over priced crap.... some nice places Down in soho,the village,TriBeCa.....
    Also, staten island ferry ride is free & nice views of the city/statue of liberty

Z is right about the south street seaport, in fact, if the weather is nice, take the sailboat cruise out of there.

If you like Spanish food, check out El Faro. One of my favorites. Get the lobster in the white sauce, and shrimp in the green sauce.

Museums you know about so we will skip those.

If you are into air and space, go to the Intrepid. Not sure but they might also have the shuttle on display.

You also might want to go to Madison Square Garden to watch the Rangers beat the living daylights out of the hated Devils. Provided they win game 7 tomorrow.

We also have the best pizza in the world. So you might want to look into that at some point.

There's a little known bar in the village called PDT. It stands for Please Don't Tell. Google it. It's fun.

Chinatown is great. Walk around. Central park during the day, not at night.. Columbus circle area is nice.

A lot depends upon how old everyone is, but there's tons to do.

Bench Player

wow thanks a lot for all the info and advices!

[quote user="charles355"]I'm going to New York City next weekend. I'm from Quebec (Canada) and I would like to know the best place to buy a Giants Jersey in NY (will surely get the David Wilson one).

Could you tell me some nice places to go with my wife (she's pregnant btw) and my parents.

Can't wait to go there.

Charles[/quote]

Best Chinese place IMO is Peking Duckhouse (Chinatown location), pizza is Benjamin's in SoHo, Hookah is Cloister's on 11th street I believe. Sylvia's at 125th street has great soul food (only go when it is light outside!!!). For Cigars, check out Davidoff (Midtown at 53rd I believe) or Velvet which is in the east village on 2nd and 7th. For jerseys go to Modell's. There's a lot of cool stuff in and around Greenwich Village and Washington square park (and the NYU school year is over so there aren't annoying rich college jerks). Since your wife is preggo, St. Marks probably isn't the place to go, but it is an experience and is IMHO one of the coolest spots in NYC. Best Italian food IMO is La Mela in Little Italy (Mulberry b/w Broome and Grande). McDougal street has a lot of cool cafes for coffee or mid afternoon tea.
    My favorite sight seeing place is the Brooklyn Bridge. I run it every morning and it is a surreal experience every time looking at the Manhattan skyline coming back from the other side. The Museum of Natural History is my favorite, I can tolerate the MoMA (I'm not really an art connoisseur.) Mets tickets are essentially free and getting to Citi field is easy as the 7 train lets off right next to the ball park (It's great value if you get to see Johan pitch though). Yankees are pricey for baseball but worth it and easy to get to (I take metro north up to Yankee Stadium from Grand Central). Shakeshack has awesome burgers.. Christ just so much **** to do in this city. I leave the thread and think of 8 more things I want to add lmao.

[quote user="THE_New_York_Giants"][quote user="charles355"]I'm going to New York City next weekend. I'm from Quebec (Canada) and I would like to know the best place to buy a Giants Jersey in NY (will surely get the David Wilson one).

Can't wait to go there.

Charles[/quote]

Best Chinese place IMO is Peking Duckhouse (Chinatown location), pizza is Benjamin's in SoHo, Hookah is Cloister's on 11th street I believe. Sylvia's at 125th street has great soul food (only go when it is light outside!!!). For Cigars, check out Davidoff (Midtown at 53rd I believe) or Velvet which is in the east village on 2nd and 7th. For jerseys go to Modell's. There's a lot of cool stuff in and around Greenwich Village and Washington square park (and the NYU school year is over so there aren't annoying rich college jerks). Since your wife is preggo, St. Marks probably isn't the place to go, but it is an experience and is IMHO one of the coolest spots in NYC. Best Italian food IMO is La Mela in Little Italy (Mulberry b/w Broome and Grande). McDougal street has a lot of cool cafes for coffee or mid afternoon tea.
    My favorite sight seeing place is the Brooklyn Bridge. I run it every morning and it is a surreal experience every time looking at the Manhattan skyline coming back from the other side. The Museum of Natural History is my favorite, I can tolerate the MoMA (I'm not really an art connoisseur.) Mets tickets are essentially free and getting to Citi field is easy as the 7 train lets off right next to the ball park (It's great value if you get to see Johan pitch though). Yankees are pricey for baseball but worth it and easy to get to (I take metro north up to Yankee Stadium from Grand Central). Shakeshack has awesome burgers.. Christ just so much **** to do in this city.[/quote]

Best Chinese is WOHOP

[quote user="Roswell777"]
    If you are into air and space, go to the Intrepid. Not sure but they might also have the shuttle on display. [/quote]

Nope, it's still sitting in a hangar at the airport. They should have it all set up at Intrepid by July 4th. But Intrepid is still a good trip, I haven't been since it came back from the refurb.

I did the Statue of Liberty & Ellis Island thing with some relatives a few summers ago (take the ferry), and I've been meaning to get back to the Museum of Natural History...

Oh and if you're into steak Peter Lugar's in Brooklyn by the foot of the bridge.
    8-Time NFL Champions - 1927 1934 1938 1956 1986 1990 2007 2011

"You win close games because you're prepared to do it. It doesn't just come down to luck." -- Bill Parcells