+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Has Eli perfected the art of throwing

while shying away from the contact? I'v never quite seen a throwing style off a back foot and turning the body away and have so much success as Eli has had.
    I suspect he had to do this as the Oline regressed over the years.

Re: Has Eli perfected the art of throwing

[quote user="Harooni"]while shying away from the contact?* I'v never quite seen a throwing style off a back foot and turning the body away and have so much success as Eli has had.
    I suspect he had to do this as the Oline regressed over the years.

[/quote]

Whenever I see that throw (two or three times a game), I think it's going to be picked off.

[quote user="greenca190"]

Whenever I see that throw (two or three times a game), I think it's going to be picked off.[/quote]

yeah I think its going to come up short , but it seems to work a lot of the time. im like "wth kind a throw "to yeah!!! never seen it in another QB that i can remember. its as if he perfected it.

Joe Theismann mentioned this last year in one edition of playbook giving praise to Eli not giving defenders a clean look to hit him saying how difficult it was to be accurate under that circumstance. That been said I always cringe when I see Eli do that, imaging Coughlin in the side line looking at the field during games.
    " Success is never final, but failure can be " B.P.

grenades!

grenade!

Don't make me say it again!

i too saw that clip theisman put together he showed a bucn of elis throws off his back foot bc of the pass rush and eli all of last year put those on a dime.

i think its bc of his elite arm strength. he doesnt get enough credit for his arm. a good ex. rewatch the GB playoff game and the pass to cruz where cruz runs a go, fakes like he's gonna do a double move, and then cuts back towards the sideline, eli threw that pass 20 some yards on a rope.
    same thing with the SB clutch pass to MM, thrown 40 some yds on a rope...

some of the best qbs like s.young say that in todays nfl with the level of pass rush, the best qbs have to be able to throw off their back foot, its just something that has to be done. do the qbs want to do it/ of course not, theyd rather step into every pass, but thats a luxury a qb will never get in todays game...eli hs amazing arm strength, and really stepped up his accuracy

and i think he is contorting his body at the last possible second where before he'd do it too early and it'd mess up the timing, he's doing it just to try and keep himself healthy, and who can blame him?

he is waiting to the absolute last possible second staring down the barrel of a gun (the pass rush) and making the throw, and allowing the motion of the throw carry over into contorting his body, whereas before, he kinda just contorted his body like mid throw motion, it looks like that was something he focused on last offseason

and even if this does lead to a few ints, i think its an excellent tradeoff;

throw a few more ints while contorting his body to try and stay healthy or not contorting his body and taking even more viscous shots...

i'd rather a few more ints and a healthy eli