+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Bench Player

Ramses Barden: What is the deal here?

Hello all! Having a good evening I hope. I was just watching some videos on here and they were talking about the WR's on the roster and such and it got me to wondering: Where has Ramses Barden been? What has hindered his playing time? The guy is a monster at 6'6 and 220+ lbs. and poses as a huge threat in the Red Zone (much like Plax was). He's even set a bunch of records in college (if memory serves me correct). But he's mostly remained a ghost come game time.

Has there ever been any word as to why we don't see him out there more and instead WR like Hixon, Jernigan and other less "impactful" guys are on the field? My only guess aside from players like Nicks & Cruz being stars, is that he just can't fully grasp the playbook. When the Giants drafted him, I fully expected him to take Plaxico's place and become a monster threat out there, but that's far from what's happened.

What do you think or know?

Re: Ramses Barden: What is the deal here?

he was a project out of D-2 school.

Has issues off the line.
    Raw.
    Injury prone.
    Not a good special teams player.

If he can get off press coverage, and stay healthy, I see no reason he can't excel in our offense. He's been here long enough to know the plays, its just the amount of time missed due to injury exceeds the amount of time he's been healthy.

I expect Barden to finally show why we drafted him. I still believe he can be effective, but now with Randle, and JJ getting into his 2nd year, it may be too little too late. I was excited too when we drafted him. But those highlites of him in college were against D-2 talent, something to keep in mind...

[quote user="MRxAmazing"]Hello all! Having a good evening I hope. I was just watching some videos on here and they were talking about the WR's on the roster and such and it got me to wondering: Where has Ramses Barden been? What has hindered his playing time? The guy is a monster at 6'6 and 220+ lbs. and poses as a huge threat in the Red Zone (much like Plax was). He's even set a bunch of records in college (if memory serves me correct). But he's mostly remained a ghost come game time.

Has there ever been any word as to why we don't see him out there more and instead WR like Hixon, Jernigan and other less "impactful" guys are on the field? My only guess aside from players like Nicks & Cruz being stars, is that he just can't fully grasp the playbook. When the Giants drafted him, I fully expected him to take Plaxico's place and become a monster threat out there, but that's far from what's happened.

What do you think or know?
    [/quote]
    He's been injured a lot. And when he hasn't been, he hasn't fully taken advantage of his opportunities. This is a make it or break it year for him.

Ramses just doesn't look like he will ever get there to me.

From the limited amount of time he's been on the field he doesn't look to get off the line cleanly at all, his hands haven't been great, and he doesn't seem to locate the ball very well. To me it looks like he finds the ball slow, so he doesn't get his body in great position to get the ball, throws his hands at it and snatches at the ball.

I would much prefer to see a healthy Hixon and Jernigan on the roster rather than Barden.

Bench Player

[quote user="giantsfan420"]he was a project out of D-2 school.

Has issues off the line.
    Raw.
    Injury prone.

If he can get off press coverage, and stay healthy, I see no reason he can't excel in our offense. He's been here long enough to know the plays, its just the amount of time missed due to injury exceeds the amount of time he's been healthy.

I expect Barden to finally show why we drafted him. I still believe he can be effective, but now with Randle, and JJ getting into his 2nd year, it may be too little too late. I was excited too when we drafted him. But those highlites of him in college were against D-2 talent, something to keep in mind...[/quote]
    I just don't see Jernigan as much as a weapon on offense. He's a good special teams guy, but as far as being a threat at WR, if Barden is available, you have to assume he should be out there. Hell, just tell him to run straight and if there's man-to-man, just toss it up lol. The guy has probably about 6 inches on the average CB in the league. Even if he isn't great off the line, that doesn't mean he can't be a threat.

This is how I look at it. If you're inside the red zone, and the Giants decide to spread it out with Nicks, Cruz, and one or two other WR... don't you think Barden has to be the obvious choice? With his size you have to great respect that jump ball possibility, which then makes the defense pick their poison.

[quote user="MRxAmazing"][quote user="giantsfan420"]he was a project out of D-2 school.

Has issues off the line.
    Raw.
    Injury prone.

I expect Barden to finally show why we drafted him. I still believe he can be effective, but now with Randle, and JJ getting into his 2nd year, it may be too little too late. I was excited too when we drafted him. But those highlites of him in college were against D-2 talent, something to keep in mind...[/quote]
    I just don't see Jernigan as much as a weapon on offense. He's a good special teams guy, but as far as being a threat at WR, if Barden is available, you have to assume he should be out there. Hell, just tell him to run straight and if there's man-to-man, just toss it up lol. The guy has probably about 6 inches on the average CB in the league. Even if he isn't great off the line, that doesn't mean he can't be a threat.

This is how I look at it. If you're inside the red zone, and the Giants decide to spread it out with Nicks, Cruz, and one or two other WR... don't you think Barden has to be the obvious choice? With his size you have to great respect that jump ball possibility, which then makes the defense pick their poison.
    [/quote]

id love if that were the case, but ur not giving enough credit to JJ. He has excellent quickness and speed. He'll be our version of D.Jackson. JJ can go across the middle, and would actually be a much better go route target than Barden imho...

I'd love if Barden could be that redzone threat so many of us assumed he'd be, just hasnt worked out. And in todays game, if you struggle to get off the line in press coverage, the timing with the qb is thrown way off, and the receiver basically becomes useless...

i still am not giving up on Barden, but I wont discredit JJ. He gives us dimensions Barden can't, and it works the other way too, Barden gives us dimensions JJ cant. I'd prefer Randle, Barden, and JJ all are effective, and talented enough to be #1 or #2 or #3 on any team

Bench Player

[quote user="giantsfan420"][quote user="MRxAmazing"][quote user="giantsfan420"]he was a project out of D-2 school.

Has issues off the line.
    Raw.
    Injury prone.

[/quote]

id love if that were the case, but ur not giving enough credit to JJ. He has excellent quickness and speed. He'll be our version of D.Jackson. JJ can go across the middle, and would actually be a much better go route target than Barden imho...

I'd love if Barden could be that redzone threat so many of us assumed he'd be, just hasnt worked out. And in todays game, if you struggle to get off the line in press coverage, the timing with the qb is thrown way off, and the receiver basically becomes useless...

i still am not giving up on Barden, but I wont discredit JJ. He gives us dimensions Barden can't, and it works the other way too, Barden gives us dimensions JJ cant. I'd prefer Randle, Barden, and JJ all are effective, and talented enough to be #1 or #2 or #3 on any team[/quote]
    Well in that case, let's just hope he can get his act together and give those defenses a reason to be terrified when he steps on the field. []

The other rap on Barden is that despite his height, he has (by NFL standards) ZERO vertical leaping ability. So it's not out of the question to be out-jumped by a guy 6'0". Jump-balls also involve timing, and Barden seems to have none of that.

Plus in order to get open you have to almost be a martial artist with your hands (gaining position while not drawing a flag). In college, he was used to sprinting untouched and looking over his shoulder for the ball.

I'm down on Ramses, especially since I bought into the (fan-generated) hype. I'm especially down since we spent 2 picks on him.

Plaxico's talent didn't rest in his height. . .he had (and still has) a mind and toughness to play the game. I'm not saying Ramses doesn't have that. . .but he hasn't shown it.
    We need our coaches to assign playing time based on something other than player salary.

JJ hasn't shown anything to prove that he can ever make plays like deshaun Jackson (as much as I hate the guy) barden showed some flashes in new England and made some key plays to help win that game

I'm not sure that Barden's ankle was fully healed last year. That said, this is the year he needs to pick it up and turn some heads. The opportunity is there; however, the competition is there as well. I really look forward to the competition for the third wide out this year, that along with some of the other positions that we need to fill should be a great off season. May the best man win!!!!!