+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Greats things ahead

Is it possible that we could have a lot better team than our 2008 year. Just thinking about possible weaknesses in this team, and I can't find a single 1. We are returning a super bowl squad, with some great rookies, some key free-agents, and more importantly our own guys coming off injuries. The only area I have concern is MLB. But I think the FO has a good plan there. The only thing that can stop us is us. We need to stay focused, and come on strong late in year. Peaking at the right time, is the biggest thing here. Go jints

Re: Greats things ahead

im still worried about the O-line. i think we will see some improvements from last year to this year...but im still worried.

All-Pro

Oline, Linebacker, Safety is thin. Those are my 3 worries.

#1 the Oline was horrible last season. For the first time I can remember, we had ZERO run game during the season. We couldnt open up holes, we couldnt run the guards. Makes me really miss Seubert and OHara. Baas is not good at creating space for RBs. Pass protection was good though.

#2 Linebacker. Yeah, we got Boley. But IMO,that is all we have. JaQuwan Williams could turn out to be a great find. He looked good his rookie year, but again, he hasnt had much experience. Im not sold on guys like Herzlich, Jones or Paysinger yet. Kiwi is going back to DE once Osi is out, maybe even before. Rivers is a huge question mark.

#3 SAfeties. A few years back, we got massacred at the safety position and it was obvious. I forget who we had back there, which is probably a good thing. After that year we got Rolle and Grant, drafted Chad Jones and got Kenny Phillips back. This year we are thin. An injury or 2, which no doubt will happen to one position, could end us early. Good thing is we have a bunch of solid CBs. But behind Rolle and Phillips, Sash is pretty much it.

[quote user="Pa1jintfan"]Is it possible that we could have a lot better team than our 2008 year. Just thinking about possible weaknesses in this team, and I can't find a single 1. We are returning a super bowl squad, with some great rookies, some key free-agents, and more importantly our own guys coming off injuries. The only area I have concern is MLB. But I think the FO has a good plan there. The only thing that can stop us is us. We need to stay focused, and come on strong late in year. Peaking at the right time, is the biggest thing here. Go jints[/quote]

Need I remind you that we were a 9-7 team last year that didn't make the playoffs until the very last game of the season.

[quote user="JimC"][quote user="Pa1jintfan"]Is it possible that we could have a lot better team than our 2008 year. Just thinking about possible weaknesses in this team, and I can't find a single 1. We are returning a super bowl squad, with some great rookies, some key free-agents, and more importantly our own guys coming off injuries. The only area I have concern is MLB. But I think the FO has a good plan there. The only thing that can stop us is us. We need to stay focused, and come on strong late in year. Peaking at the right time, is the biggest thing here. Go jints[/quote]

Need I remind you that we were a 9-7 team last year that didn't make the playoffs until the very last game of the season.
    [/quote]

Dont forget we had the most difficult schedule, battled injuries, i believe we had the most injuries to starters and key backups since the lions n there winless season...and several of our losses were us beating ourselves, not bc the opponent was just better than us.
    we had the worst ranked run game and the two worst statisitical ol in dd and kmac, but we have addressed that and should improve upon that significantly...

I see us following the same path in our 08 season after sb 42run where we played confident and very few mistakes...only this time our wrs arent moronic enough to literally shoot the season away...

I think we will be more consistent, and much more physical and talented than our opponents...i also beleive eli will somehow improve upon one of the best seasons by a qb in nfl history and that our run game will improve drastically, and that our defense plays at a high level and physical with more consistency...i believe we will have at least 11wins and make the postseason with a great shot at repeating
    "The OL is good enough for most of Eli's supposed peers..."

[quote user="JimC"][quote user="Pa1jintfan"]Is it possible that we could have a lot better team than our 2008 year. Just thinking about possible weaknesses in this team, and I can't find a single 1. We are returning a super bowl squad, with some great rookies, some key free-agents, and more importantly our own guys coming off injuries. The only area I have concern is MLB. But I think the FO has a good plan there. The only thing that can stop us is us. We need to stay focused, and come on strong late in year. Peaking at the right time, is the biggest thing here. Go jints[/quote]

[/quote]

Dont forget we had the most difficult schedule, battled injuries, i believe we had the most injuries to starters and key backups since the lions n there winless season...and several of our losses were us beating ourselves, not bc the opponent was just better than us.
    we had the worst ranked run game and the two worst statisitical ol in dd and kmac, but we have addressed that and should improve upon that significantly...

I see us following the same path in our 08 season after sb 42run where we played confident and very few mistakes...only this time our wrs arent moronic enough to literally shoot the season away...

I think we will be more consistent, and much more physical and talented than our opponents...i also beleive eli will somehow improve upon one of the best seasons by a qb in nfl history and that our run game will improve drastically, and that our defense plays at a high level and physical with more consistency...i believe we will have at least 11wins and make the postseason with a great shot at repeating
    "The OL is good enough for most of Eli's supposed peers..."

All-Pro

in 2008 we really ran the ball well ... led the league with a 5.0 YPC

we had19 rushing TDs, 7 fumbles

oh, 24 runs of over 20 yards ... a good game to re-watch is Giants v. Ravens ... we just pounded that highly regarded defence

we led the league with over 2,500 yards rushing ... Seubert very underrated ... O'Hara was a Pro Bowler, but as fans we probably still took him a bit for granted and, naturally K-Mac was a couple of years younger ... Snee solid ... Diehl better at run blocking than pass blocking at LT, so really a solid running team

going into this season, you can almost write it in permanent ink that we won't come close to that ... and there are positive factors that affect that ... i.e. Eli is totally established now and the league rules favor passing so much

and, of course, negative factors ... o-line just not as good and not nearly the chemistry ... RBs, well that will be interesting, when AB is healthy he runs as hard and violently as any back in the league and Wilson's highlights are impressive ... plus throw in Scott's speed if he earns some playing time

defensively, health will be a huge factor ... if all our players are healthy (i know, pipe dream) ... we can be a dominate unit there

and, finally, our STs are better now

having said that, the stars really do have to align for us to go 12-4, since there is just so much parity in the league and the NFC East is very tough despite us winning it at 9-7 last year and our schedule overall is brutal... we go 11-5 and i'll be a very happy camper, b/c then it is GAME ON in the playoffs

It's going to be really tough to get another 12-4 record this year, our schedule is nothing short of brutal.

However, we're actually in better position to do it this year than we were going into 2008 when we lost Strahan and Osi before the season even started, and our schedule that year was just as tough as this years' (we also played the AFC North that year).

One thing in our favor with the schedule is that we dont have to worry about the team playing down to its opponents this year b/c almost every team on our schedule is dangerous in some way.
    All Hail The New York Giants!!

I think that we have a chance to be better than 2008 because we have better playmakers, but our o-line was so outstanding that year.

But I do think that this year's team is much more deep in most areas than the 2008 team and Eli is much better as well.

In 2008 we had a power run game... dominant o-line, Jacobs the Juggernaut (instead of the tiptoe burglar we've had the past couple years), AB healthy.

This year we have at least two (if not 3 or even 4) dynamite wide receivers. If RR82 or JJ12 can pan out to MM82's level, you'll have a receiving corps in which SOMEONE will have to be single-covered. That was the key to our passing success in 2011: most teams are geared to shut down one star receiver, yet we had two equally good powerhouse receivers; you focus on one, and the other will have a field day... focus on both, and Eli will start throwing to any other target on the field, as they will be wide open. (Incidentally, the same applies to the Pats success up until the SB with those two TE's).

Not to mention, Eli is way better than he was in 2008. The man is made of Nintendium (that indestructible stuff that Nintendo makes their devices out of). You can knock him around like crazy, and he still functions like nothing happened. Honestly, I see Eli as an archetype for future QB's at this point... with the way pass rush has become the basis for successful defense, having a QB that doesn't get discombobulated that easily on contact helps tremendously...

It might not be the same as 2008, but I agree we'll be set for a dynamite year.

Thank you Reddit for the best gif ever.