+ Reply to Thread
    Veteran

From Profootballtalk.com...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...omment-1786093

I never knew of this story. Matt Bahr was my father's roommate at Penn State on the soccer team -- they played professionally together for the Pennsylvania Stoners (before Matt was drafted by the Steelers).

I have had numerous conversations since 1990 with Matt about the 1990 Giants...and he never told me this...

The guy is very humble...so maybe that is why this has never come out...But this definitely makes his 5 field goal performance in the NFC Championship game against San Francisco even more impressive.

Re: From Profootballtalk.com...

I'm pretty sure that was the case with many players back in the day. Amazing to hear because he kicked us into the Super Bowl.

Just about anyone who has played football in pads has received a concussion to some degree. I had my bell rung plenty just playing high school ball. Having your bell rung is mild, but still a concussion. Just part of the game.

[quote user="fourth&forever"]Just about anyone who has played football in pads has received a concussion to some degree. I had my bell rung plenty just playing high school ball. Having your bell rung is mild, but still a concussion. Just part of the game.[/quote]

Exactly! I had whatwould nowbe considered a concussion at least twice a season. Oddly enough most of the hardest hits I took were in practice.

All-Pro

Im pretty sure LT had many concussions back in the day, but caused even more. And none of those guys came out.

Veteran

[quote user="VegasGmen"]

[quote user="fourth&forever"]Just about anyone who has played football in pads has received a concussion to some degree. I had my bell rung plenty just playing high school ball. Having your bell rung is mild, but still a concussion. Just part of the game.[/quote]

Exactly! I had what*would now*be considered a concussion at least twice a season. Oddly enough most of the hardest hits I took were in practice.

[/quote]

I got a concussion on the first play of a game against Morris Catholic in NJ lol. I played the whole game, didn't think twice.

I was so excited to play on their field turf...that didn't last long lol

Yes it does.

[quote user="G.I. Ants"]I'm pretty sure that was the case with many players back in the day. Amazing to hear because he kicked us into the Super Bowl.
    [/quote]

When he first kicked it I thought he missed it left. It started a foot inside the left upright and never moved an inch.

Get well soon 80.

[quote user="BluTri10"]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/05/15/matt-bahr-kicked-the-giants-to-super-bowl-xxv-with-a-concussion/#comment-1786093

I never knew of this story. Matt Bahr was my father's roommate at Penn State on the soccer team -- they played professionally together for the Pennsylvania Stoners (before Matt was drafted by the Steelers).

I have had numerous conversations since 1990 with Matt about the 1990 Giants...and he never told me this...

The guy is very humble...so maybe that is why this has never come out...But this definitely makes his 5 field goal performance in the NFC Championship game against San Francisco even more impressive.[/quote]

Maybe that explains why he had no reaction at all after kicking the game winning field goal, even as the players were jumping all over him

Veteran

I love that Tynes wears #9 as Bahr did and has given us great playoff memories just as Bahr did. Neat tidbit:

This past season's Giants-49ers NFC Title in SF ended on a FG that was setup by afumble that was kicked by a Giants kicker wearing #9 that was the deciding play in sending the Giants to their second Superbowl in 5 seasons and it happened in SF with a head coach who has an association with Bill Parcells.

This is the exact set of circumstances that took place in the 1991 NFC Title game when Bahr sent the Giants and Bill Parcells back to the Super Bowl. Oh, and one other thing both kicks went through the exact same goal posts. The only5 differencesare in 1991, thefumble was not a special teamsturnover, occurred in the 4th quarter not Overtime, final score was different as was the point differentialand the FG was of alonger distance.

LOL!

Over 5500 posts, advanced member, joined March 2002. 1st post (as anonymous) was the day after Super Bowl 35