+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

A NEW DEAL FOR TOM COUGHLIN IN THE WORKS

A NEW DEAL FOR TOM COUGHLIN IN THE WORKS

"It’s funny to go back to just two seasons ago and see how Rex Ryan was the
    toast of the town to the New York media and Tom Coughlin was old news and needed
    to be taken behind the barn and shot.

Today? Well, Ryan is on the hot seat and Coughlin is rumored to be getting an
    extension after his second Super Bowl title in four years.

At the Giants Super Bowl ring ceremony yesterday, team owner John Mara told
    local media that”We’re working on it. It will be done sooner rather than later”
    in regards to a new deal for Tom Coughlin. At 65 and entering the final year of
    his current deal, this is a move that was expected even before the improbable
    run to the title last season.

The truth is that things aredifferentin New York. I look at teams with
    coaches who underachieve constantly, yet get to keep their job and aren’t
    lambasted by the media. In New York, it’s win or get out. It doesn’t matter what
    sport, what team or what you’ve done in the past. It’s all about what you’ve
    done lately. And two titles in four years makes Coughlin safe for awhile.

Eli Manning is already going to be given a pass for the rest of his career.
    Joe Namath won one title and little else the rest of his career, yet he is still
    treated as the king of New York today. But for a coach, what you’ve done lately
    never rings more true than in the Big Apple.

After winning the title in 2007 and winning 12 games the following year,
    things were quiet. But after an 8-8 season in 2009 and a late season collapse in
    2010, the majority of the fan base wanted Coughlin to go. He’d “lost his fire”
    after winning the Super Bowl, many were saying.

With the team sitting at 6-6 this season with just four games left to play,
    the sentiment began to grow louder. But that’s when the team did what Coughlin
    led teams seem to do; they coalesced around their coach and took their game to a
    whole new level. Squeezing into the playoffs on the final game of the season
    with a convincing victory over Dallas, they did what the past few Super Bowl
    champs have done and entered the playoffs on a hot streak en route to another
    improbable Super Bowl run.

If Coughlin had these results in any other city, he’d probably of been
    offered a Don Shula type situation by now and allowed to stay as long as he
    wanted. And deservedly so.

All conversations of the “great head coaches” in the modern NFL seem to start
    and stop with Bill Belichick. But who comes after him? Even before last season,
    I would have argued and stumped for Coughlin. He just finds a way to get his
    team to rally around him and is, for lack of a better term, a leader of men.
    He’s won 58% of his regular season games since becoming the Giants head coach in
    2004 and has a sizzling .727 winning percentage in the postseason.

In short, Coughlin sticking around in New York for the foreseeable future
    should have Giants fan extremely content. Even if the teamfinishes.500 next
    season. Because you know they’ll be back with him leading the way.

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Re: A NEW DEAL FOR TOM COUGHLIN IN THE WORKS

I love that TC is our head coach... I wasn't alive for the Parcels era tho, how does TC compare to him?

[quote user="NYFan221"]I wasn't alive for the Parcels era tho, how does TC compare to him?
    [/quote]

Parcells was a wise guy, a back-alley fighter.

He was very military-like (so is Coughlin, but Parcells was McArthur -- fire and brimstone with Jersey sarcasm and a bit of a swagger).

Take Belichick and give him a little bit of Rex Ryan's mouth.

He knew how to push buttons. EVERYBODY's buttons.

8-Time NFL Champions - 1927 1934 1938 1956 1986 1990 2007 2011

"You win close games because you're prepared to do it. It doesn't just come down to luck." -- Bill Parcells

Found out an interesting fact today. Tom Coughlin is not among the top 10 highest paid coaches and Belicheat is the highest paid. I hope Mr. Mara sees this and corrects this.

All-Pro

[quote user="NYGiantsFan56"]Found out an interesting fact today. Tom Coughlin is not among the top 10 highest paid coaches and Belicheat is the highest paid. I hope Mr. Mara sees this and corrects this.[/quote]Csn we afford to do that ? Coaches don't fall under the salary cap but
    Football has been very, very good to us.
    In the midst of this losing season, we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
    2-Washington, Green Bay, Denver, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
    3-San Francisco, Dallas, New England
    4-New York Giants!!!!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

All-Pro

By the way I ageless he deserve to be extended
    Football has been very, very good to us.
    In the midst of this losing season, we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
    2-Washington, Green Bay, Denver, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
    3-San Francisco, Dallas, New England
    4-New York Giants!!!!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

[quote user="SweetZombieJesus"][quote user="NYFan221"]I wasn't alive for the Parcels era tho, how does TC compare to him?
    [/quote]

Parcells was a wise guy, a back-alley fighter.

He was very military-like (so is Coughlin, but Parcells was McArthur -- fire and brimstone with Jersey sarcasm and a bit of a swagger).

Take Belichick and give him a little bit of Rex Ryan's mouth.

He knew how to push buttons. EVERYBODY's buttons.

[/quote]

Very nice analogy...he was also very hard on quarterbacks.......you had to be very tough skinned like Simms to survive under Parcells........he was very loyal to his favorite players Taylor Carson Simms but his dog house was very very tough to get out of.........He admired toughness in his players

One of my favorite quotes (I am Paraphrasing)he was talking about the 86 team ....when he said this team would be happy to play you out in the parking lot.

another" that Bavaro sure is a tough guy...I sure would hate to have to fight him"

"When I was 15, I could not believe how dumb my father was.....when I was 25, I could not believe how much he had learned in 10 years"

1st to use the phrase "In Reese we trust"

[quote user="miked1958"][quote user="NYGiantsFan56"]Found out an interesting fact today. Tom Coughlin is not among the top 10 highest paid coaches and Belicheat is the highest paid. I hope Mr. Mara sees this and corrects this.[/quote]Csn we afford to do that ? Coaches don't fall under the salary cap but[/quote]

Make no mistake, the Giants are one of the wealthies franchises in the NFL. They have been sold out for decades. There is no reason they can't make TC the richest coach in football.

TC deserves it. He has proven he is NY tough.

He's a great coach for this NY team.

Everyone thought Rex Ryan would be a great fit for the Jets, with him talking so much trash, thinking he is perfect for the media hype bull**** in New York.

Clearly, he's not.

Goes to show, TC is the perfect fit.

I wouldn't be surprised if TC went to coach the Jets, they'd probably win the super bowl.

He deserves it