+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Your favorite 2013 pass rusher

Quote Originally Posted by Redeyejedi View Post
    They looked good in the Washington game other then that they didnt play well in any other game. I like Notre Dame if they had a better QB they could be a threat. That defense is really good
    Ya ND's defense is legit.. I love Prince Shembo and Te'o.. Louis Nix is no joke as a run stuffer as well! I love there offense as well.. They got a great RB trio, that seems to have diffrent strengths that all adl, sd up to a complete back.. They got the scat back type in Theo Rid****, that can catch the ball, split out..etc, they also got the prototypical back in Cierre Wood, who has solid size, and a good overall game, and they got the speedster in George Atkinson.. Thats a nice complete trio of backs, that all bring something diffrent to the table.. They have a solid oline as well, led by Braxston Cave at C.. Cave should get a look by a NFL team... The freshman QB Golson is really making strides as well..

How about J. Clowney from South Carolina. He is a beast.

Quote Originally Posted by jaxnygmen View Post
    How about J. Clowney from South Carolina. He is a beast.
    He certainly is, but he is only 19 and isnt really a 2013 guy. That said, whenever he does come out he is likely going to be either a #1 overall selection or very close to it.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSanta View Post
    He certainly is, but he is only 19 and isnt really a 2013 guy. That said, whenever he does come out he is likely going to be either a #1 overall selection or very close to it.
    Yea, he cant declare for the draft this year. Have to be at least 2 years removed from high school, he is only a true sophmore.

The worst team in the league next year will be able to draft Clowney, and probably have Tyrann Mathieu available to them with their 2nd pick. Imagine a defense adding those two.

Quote Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
    Yea, he cant declare for the draft this year. Have to be at least 2 years removed from high school, he is only a true sophmore.

The worst team in the league next year will be able to draft Clowney, and probably have Tyrann Mathieu available to them with their 2nd pick. Imagine a defense adding those two.
    Eww i dunno bout the Mathieu pick. Some concerns there for me. He never proved that he could cover in my eyes. He is a hell of a ball hawk and playmaker, but at his size he needs to be able to cover. Of course, the year off combined with a drug problem and multiple other character concerns are also a consideration.

Mathieu is perfect for a cover 2 team. Is his height a hindrance? Sure, especially against some bigger receivers. But when put in a proper system, it shouldn't negate what he has shown. Some team will take an early flyer on him.

Eww i dunno bout the Mathieu pick. Some concerns there for me. He never proved that he could cover in my eyes. He is a hell of a ball hawk and playmaker, but at his size he needs to be able to cover. Of course, the year off combined with a drug problem and multiple other character concerns are also a consideration.
    i agree with u santa.. I don't even think hes the player that Alphonso Smith was as a CB anyways, and i'm just not a fan of CB's under 5ft 10inch...

Concerns yes, thats why he would be a 2nd round pick. Maybe even 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsportzfan View Post
    i agree with u santa.. I don't even think hes the player that Alphonso Smith was as a CB anyways, and i'm just not a fan of CB's under 5ft 10inch...
    Yep, just as a point of reference, compare him to Hosely coming out since they have similar size, although I think Jayron may even be an inch taller:

They both had a drug issue. Hosley's failed test came at the combine and was for marijuana. Mathieu's was multiple failed drug tests and some reports say he failed the test for multiple drugs, though it cannot be confirmed.

The position Mathieu played last year was more similar to a safety, he was not asked to cover man as much and when he was asked to do it, it was vs the #3 wr. He had marginal success at best when asked to play in man.

Josley was the best cover corner on VT's defense and was always lined up man on the opponents #1 wr every week despite, in some cases, massive size differences. He excelled in man coverage.

Mathieu has had numberous other off the field issues as well as some issues with ignorant tweets, similar if not on the same scale as Will Hill did coming out.

Mathieu is VERY selfish and NOT a team player. People need to understand that the failed drug test and subsequent dismissal from the LSU program perhaps saved LSU's program from future NCAA sanctions. Reportedly Mathieu was paid, among other things, to promote a nightclub. The NCAA is looking into this now but reports are saying that LSU only recently was made aware of the story and doesnt think any rules were broken. However, had Mathieu played this year, there likely would have been problems for the LSU program since it appears the offense happened most recently during the summer. This kid has some serious maturing to do.

Lastly, he is sitting out the year and that in itself usually will lower a guy's value by a round or so.

So despite all these differences, Hosely fell to the end of the 3rd round. Mathieu, unless he changes his ways I could see this kid going 3rd -5th. Again, I just dont see how a 5' 9" guy can play in the NFL if he cannot cover. The only position he can likely play is nickle cb and that is assuming he finds a way to cover a NFL caliber WR.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsportzfan View Post
    I thought u were the I dont care about size guy

+ Reply to Thread