+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

OSI UMENYIORA, BRANDON JACOBS PLEDGE TO WIN & RETURN SUPER BOWL RING AT 1M TWITTER FOLLOWERS

OSI UMENYIORA, BRANDON JACOBS PLEDGE TO WIN & RETURN SUPER BOWL RING AT 1m TWITTER FOLLOWERS

"New York
    Giants
    defensive end Osi
    Umenyiora
    was shocked when he learned Lawrence Taylor's Super Bowl XXV ring was up for auction. He
    couldn't fathom the legend and NFL Hall of Famer losing his jewelry forever, so the
    Chief devised a contest: get him to 1,000,000 Twitter followers to save the
    ring.

Umenyiora pledges that at 1,000,000 Twitter followers, he will see to it that
    he wins the auction for Taylor's Super Bowl ring and then allows a fan (chosen
    at random) to personally delivery the ring back to LT.

"Attn: All L.T., NEW YORK
    GIANTS
    , NFL FANS! If I
    get 1 million followers, I will buy LT's ring back and give it to him. I'm not
    joking," Umenyiora tweeted. "L.T is a football LEGEND! If 1,000,000 people support him getting
    his ring back, then it's worth it to me to buy it and give it back to
    him."

Former Big Blue running back Brandon
    Jacobs
    immediately jumped aboard this bandwagon, and joined Umenyiora in his
    quest. Like Osi, Jacobs will buy the ring at 1,000,000 Twitter followers and
    allow a fan (chosen at random) to personally deliver it to the legend.

"I am in with you on this," Jacobs tweeted to Osi. "I will follow the same
    guidelines."

As of now, Umenyiora has 22,353 followers, which is up over 3,350 followers
    since his initial tweet about the ring, Jacobs, meanwhile, has 2,214 followers,
    which is up over 210 since he joined this campaign.

Umenyiora can be followed @OsiUmenyiora and Jacobs can be followed @gatorboy45.

With less than 13 hours remaining for Taylor's Super
    Bowl XXV
    ring, time is running out. The bid is currently $98,525."

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

All-Pro

Re: OSI UMENYIORA, BRANDON JACOBS PLEDGE TO WIN & RETURN SUPER BOWL RING AT6 1m TWITTER FOLLOWERS

That is a very nice thing he is doing. I think if he falls short he is doing it anyway.

Re: OSI UMENYIORA, BRANDON JACOBS PLEDGE TO WIN & RETURN SUPER BOWL RING AT6 1m TWITTER FOLLOWERS

[quote user="buddy33"]That is a very nice thing he is doing. I think if he falls short he is doing it anyway.[/quote]

That sounds like Osi to me... yeah he has contract issues he complains about every year, but he's no self-absorbed Shockey...

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    We need a tight end,
    repeat, again and again
    ToadofSteel's mantra.

Pls this is a pr stunt by osi,

Does one person on twitter even have a mill followers?

He proposed this bc he knows it can never be met...i dunno if theres a mill football fans that use twitter, let alone a mill giants fans on twitter,

If he was genuine, he could simply buy the ring back and give it to lt and do it w/o trying to get media attn...if lt wanted to publically thank osi thats one thing, to propose what osi is doing is another...

Hes gonna get a bunch more followers on twitter, which is prob his true agenda.

And no i dont hate osi and dont want him traded or released, i want him to retire a giant, but his is pr bs

[quote user="giantsfan420"]Pls this is a pr stunt by osi,

He proposed this bc he knows it can never be met...i dunno if theres a mill football fans that use twitter, let alone a mill giants fans on twitter,

If he was genuine, he could simply buy the ring back and give it to lt and do it w/o trying to get media attn...if lt wanted to publically thank osi thats one thing, to propose what osi is doing is another...

And no i dont hate osi and dont want him traded or released, i want him to retire a giant, but his is pr bs[/quote]

What difference does it make? He's willing to buy the ring and return it. I suspect he'll do it whether he gets to 1M or not. If he doesn't, Jacobs will.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Veteran

[quote user="RoanokeFan"][quote user="giantsfan420"]Pls this is a pr stunt by osi,

And no i dont hate osi and dont want him traded or released, i want him to retire a giant, but his is pr bs[/quote]

What difference does it make? He's willing to buy the ring and return it. I suspect he'll do it whether he gets to 1M or not. If he doesn't, Jacobs will.
    [/quote]

You suspect he will, but what if he doesn't? Is it really possible for him to go from a few thousand followers to a million over night? No chance. I'm not on twitter, but I knew he was never going to get to a million. What's he up to now 13k? If he buys it anyway he always intended to, if he doesn't he never did.

[quote user="Mohann"][quote user="RoanokeFan"][quote user="giantsfan420"]Pls this is a pr stunt by osi,

[/quote]

You suspect he will, but what if he doesn't? Is it really possible for him to go from a few thousand followers to a million over night? No chance. I'm not on twitter, but I knew he was never going to get to a million. What's he up to now 13k? If he buys it anyway he always intended to, if he doesn't he never did.
    [/quote]

Let's wait and see what he does before we decide what he's going to do.

[quote user="giantsfan420"]Pls this is a pr stunt by osi,

Gotta disagree with you on this. Yes, there could be some PR motive behind this, but to what extent?

And, fyi, there are some celebrities with 1 mil followers (often d bags like Ashton Kutchner, from what I've read), but probably not many. I personally despise what twitter has come to represent, and am not a user--although in this case I did sign up to follow Osi, for the cause.

Also, Osi reduced the criterion to 500,000 followers--still a high bar, but still-- nearly 2 hours ago, and was up to about 41,000 as of 1 hour ago.

To me, the point of this story is that Osi, like most humans, is not so simple to read, yet so many on this board have been eager to dismiss him in one way or another as a purely selfish person.

Even dismissing this as purely--or mostly-- a cheap publicity stunt is an example of not giving him the benefit of the doubt as a decent human being.

I'm willing to go so far as to suggest that the majority of Giants (and many non-Giant NFL) fans--especially those of us over the age of 39--had at least the thought go through our minds of "if I had the financial resources, I'd win the auction and give the ring back to LT".

What Osi has done by making this public resonates with most NFL fans, not just Giants fans--twitter or no twitter.

I admit to having absolutely no idea what the advantage is to Osi to dramatically increase the number of his twitter followers. I don't get that. I'm old, what can I say?

But I do see this as an attempt on Osi's part--AT NO COST TO FOLLOWERS and FANS--to publicly show LT that many fans are supportive of him, even in light of all his personally humiliating personal problems and demons. And what is so wrong with that?

I say--Good for you, Osi.

i,m not sure how can any of those players will be able to afford taylors ring considering how broke they must be.

[quote user="RoanokeFan"][quote user="giantsfan420"]Pls this is a pr stunt by osi,

What difference does it make?** He's willing to buy the ring and return it.* I suspect he'll do it whether he gets to 1M or not.* If he doesn't, Jacobs will.
    [/quote]

My first thought was along those lines; the 1,000,000 twitter followers is cool and all, but he's going to pick up that ring regardless.

If not, and whether he realized it or not, he is going to look like a jerk if he doesn't buy it--"I didn't hit million so I didn't think it was worth it to do a solid for a legend"
    This space for rent