+ Reply to Thread

My Proposed NFL rule change.

Okay. This is going to sound a bit crazy, but bear with me. I dislike how 98% of PAT's are guaranteed to go in. These kickers are trained to drive the ball 60 yards down the middle of the field goal. I propose a rugby-like extra point system where you kick from where the guy got the touchdown. So if the guy got the touchdown on the corner, they kick from there (but move it in 5 yards.) Then they can have an arch that backs the ball up to where it is more makable (so like at the 15 yard line or so for the corner to the 5 yard line for the middle. If the team opts to go for 2, they start at the 7 yard line except for if they scored within the hash marks where they start at the 2 or have the option to score at the 7.
    The ball carrier can try to move the ball to the middle of the end zone however after he makes the touchdown, but if he is tackled, that is where the extra point is attempted from.

How does this change the game? Well first of all we will see a lot more 2 point conversion attempts. On top of that, it will bring back the drop kick. The percentage of PAT's made from the outside will most likely be higher with a drop kick. It would actually make the PAT an interesting play. It would also get rid of a lot of stupid TD celebrations.

My reasoning is I dislike the give me point after the TD. It needs to be as hard earned as the TD IMO.

Thoughts?

Re: My Proposed NFL rule change.

your giving players an excuse to take a free shot at a guy after they score.

and all in all your trying to make life even harder for kickers, just for your own personal amusement no less?

"...two minute drill at the end of each quarter, Ya'know with the wind like this blowing mooch and marshall into the ocean...If that's behind me I think were getting 3 from 70 so holla at your boy. IF YOU DON"T PICK ME THAT'S A JOKE RIGHT?" - Justin Tucker, Ravens kicker

Complain?, ain't Nobody got time for dat!

GO GIANTS!

[quote user="GmenFan1980"]your giving players an excuse to take a free shot at a guy after they score.

and all in all your trying to make life even harder for kickers, just for your own personal amusement no less?[/quote]

I think it adds another element to the game. I dislike freebie points. Back in the day, the XP was actually not a give me. It's not extra shots, the same rules still apply as far as hitting goes. It would make the game a lot more competitive and make the XP relevant.

[quote user="THE_New_York_Giants"][quote user="GmenFan1980"]your giving players an excuse to take a free shot at a guy after they score.

and all in all your trying to make life even harder for kickers, just for your own personal amusement no less?[/quote]

I think it adds another element to the game. I dislike freebie points. Back in the day, the XP was actually not a give me. It's not extra shots, the same rules still apply as far as hitting goes. It would make the game a lot more competitive and make the XP relevant.[/quote]

I just don't see the point why a 1 point play should be hard.

"...two minute drill at the end of each quarter, Ya'know with the wind like this blowing mooch and marshall into the ocean...If that's behind me I think were getting 3 from 70 so holla at your boy. IF YOU DON"T PICK ME THAT'S A JOKE RIGHT?" - Justin Tucker, Ravens kicker

Complain?, ain't Nobody got time for dat!

GO GIANTS!

[quote user="GmenFan1980"][quote user="THE_New_York_Giants"][quote user="GmenFan1980"]your giving players an excuse to take a free shot at a guy after they score.

I think it adds another element to the game. I dislike freebie points. Back in the day, the XP was actually not a give me. It's not extra shots, the same rules still apply as far as hitting goes. It would make the game a lot more competitive and make the XP relevant.[/quote]

I just don't see the point why a 1 point play should be hard.[/quote]

I would also support backing the PAT to the 30 yard line and just leaving it at that, though the rugby style is my preference. Doing this would make the game much more exciting IMHO. The way the game is becoming more offense oriented, it makes sense to make the extra point a little more difficult. It would change the game for the better.