+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

NY GIANTS' PLAYERS UNDER PRESSURE: DAVID BAAS

NY GIANTS' PLAYERS UNDER PRESSURE: DAVID BAAS

"Center David Baas was the one big free-agent signing by New York Giants
    general manager Jerry Reese prior to the 2011 NFL season, brought in to anchor
    the Giants' offensive line after three-time Pro Bowl center Shaun O'Hara was
    betrayed by his body after 11 NFL seasons.

The Giants won the Super Bowl, of course, but Baas first season with the
    Giants was a difficult one. He played just 11 games, missing time with what was
    listed as a neck injury, though it was eventually disclosed that Baas was
    suffering severe headaches. When Baas did play, it wasn't especially well. He
    compiled a -11.3 rating from Pro Footbal Focus, and there were times when it
    seemed like the Giants offensive line played better with fill-in center Kevin
    Boothe in the lineup than it did with the highly-paid Baas.

Baas makes the list of 'Players Under Pressure' entering the 2012 season
    because he has a long, long way to go to justify the five-year, $27.5-million
    contract ($11.5 million guaranteed) the Giants signed him to prior to last
    season.

To be fair to Baas, the NFL Lockout meant that free agency was held right
    before the start of training camps. And the new training camp rules agreed to in
    the Collective Bargaining Agreement took away two-a-day practices, giving Baas
    very little time to learn his teammates, learn the offense and refine the
    communication a center is responsible for -- something that only comes with time
    and practice.

Yet, Baas' individual performance left a lot to be desired. The -11.3 rating
    placed him 29th out of 34 centers graded by PFF. As we know, the play of the
    offensive line as a whole also left a lot to be desired.

The Giants can hope for a full, healthy season from left tackle Will Beatty.
    They can hope David Diehl has enough left to handle right tackle. They can hope
    Mitch Petrus is ready for full-time duty at left guard, and that right guard
    Chris Snee is healthy and resembles the Pro Bowl player he was a couple of
    seasons ago.

If the line is to be better, however, they need Baas to anchor it in the
    middle. Boothe is an adequate fill-in, but there remains no real long-term Plan
    B if Baas does not get the job done.

In 2010 with San Francisco, Baas graded +3.4 while playing center for the
    49ers, including +6.0 as a run blocker. That is the player the Giants need to
    see in 2012. If that isn't the player they get next season the Giants might be
    forced to look elsewhere for a long-term anchor in the middle of their offensive
    line."

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Re: NY GIANTS' PLAYERS UNDER PRESSURE: DAVID BAAS

Baas played very well in the Super Bowl. . . . hopefully that's the Baas that we will see this upcoming season.

[quote user="GMENAGAIN"]Baas played very well in the Super Bowl. . . . hopefully that's the Baas that we will see this upcoming season.[/quote]

Last year was a disaster from a player preparation standpoint. I expect the entire OLine to play much better this season.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

He's a big key for this upcoming season, I was very down on him last year during the season, but I liked his play in the postseason. We'll see which one shows up.

Hope they have those headaches solved.

I think Baas still has something left in him. He was left to hold off Wilfork by himself in the super bowl many times...

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    We need a tight end,
    repeat, again and again
    ToadofSteel's mantra.

I'm actually pretty confident that Baas will more resemble the player he was in SF than what he was during the season.

Not uncommon for FA's to struggle in their first season on a team, new work environment, injuries, shorten off-season are alot to overcome. A year to settle in and an offseason to work, things should get better.

My biggest concern is at tackle. We need beatty to be the answer at LT and someone b/t Locklear, Dehl and Brewer must step up at RT.
    All Hail The New York Giants!!

I would agree that there is pressure for him to perform. He gets a pass last year because of injuries.

Call me crazy, but there were moments last year where Baas really looked like a great player.

I know he had his struggles too, probably because of that neck injury, but there were times I saw him really handling someone at the point of attack, or getting to the second level and hammering guys, that I came away with an appreciation for what he could do.

I am just hoping for some continuity this year, and that these guys can play a lot of games together asa single unit.

All-Pro

He was horrible during the season. I remember early on when Diehl was next to him, they were just so bad together. Both of them. Got abused. No push and they let speed DLmen get right around them. No communication and no strength is what it looked liek to me. We were a lot better with Boothe and Petrus. Boothe is a better center but cant snap the ball, lol.