+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Actual Strength of Schedule for 2011

Not sure why it took me FOREVER to find this(I was probably looking in the wrong places) but this is the actual strength of schedule that NFL teams played in the 2011 season based on the actual records of all teams at the end of the season. Tends to be more telling the NFL's projected SOS as that's based on a teams opponents' records from the previous year. Projected SOS is the most misleading/meaningless figure out there. For example the Saints projected SOS for 2011 was 13th......when in reality looking at the actual SOS they played the easiest schedule in the league. St. Louis had it brutal......actual SOS below:

Compare that to the projected SOS going into last season: http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/po...th-of-schedule

Giants were projected toplay the 19th toughest schedule in the league when in reality they played the 8th toughest schedule.

If this was covered already my bad.....

Veteran

Re: Actual Strength of Schedule for 2011

Nice find.

I dont get it, so we dont have the toughest sos? Ive seen it reported a few times now...thats the chart for this season?

Veteran

[quote user="giantsfan420"]I dont get it, so we dont have the toughest sos? Ive seen it reported a few times now...thats the chart for this season?[/quote]

This chart was last season's strength of schedule.

Over 5500 posts, advanced member, joined March 2002. 1st post (as anonymous) was the day after Super Bowl 35

[quote user="BlueJayC"]

Not sure why it took me FOREVER to find this*(I was probably looking in the wrong places) but this is the actual strength of schedule that NFL teams played in the 2011 season based on the actual records of all teams at the end of the season. Tends to be more telling the NFL's projected SOS as that's based on a teams opponents' records from the previous year. Projected SOS is the most misleading/meaningless figure out there. For example the Saints projected SOS for 2011 was 13th......when in reality looking at the actual SOS they played the easiest schedule in the league. St. Louis had it brutal......actual SOS below:

Compare that to the projected SOS going into last season: http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/po...th-of-schedule

Giants were projected to*play the 19th toughest schedule in the league when in reality they played the 8th toughest schedule.

If this was covered already my bad.....

[/quote]

Not so fast my friend. Here's the actual final SOS poll & the NYG had the 2nd toughest schedule last year. Served them well in the plyaoffs I think too.

http://www.rogerspoll.com/nfl_2011_sos_final.html

[quote user="giantsfan420"]I dont get it, so we dont have the toughest sos? Ive seen it reported a few times now...thats the chart for this season?[/quote]

They had the 2nd toughest last year.
    "http://www.rogerspoll.com/nfl_2011_sos_final.html"

thats what i thought, we had the 2nd strongest last season and the most difficult this season...

[quote user="jakegibbs"]

Not so fast my friend. Here's the actual final SOS poll & the NYG had the 2nd toughest schedule last year. Served them well in the plyaoffs I think too.

http://www.rogerspoll.com/nfl_2011_sos_final.html[/quote]
    That chart is flawed as ****. Of course if you add in playoff games and base it off 20 games and not 16 are we going to have a tougher schedule.

I think it's safe to assume that you should only base SoS on the regular season.

The Giants have the toughest "projected" strength of schedule for the upcoming 2012-13 season based on the final record of all NFL teams last year (2011-12 season results). We won't know their "actual" SOS until the 2012-13 season is over and we can look back on the records of all the teams they played.

The chart provided above shows what their "actual" strength of schedule wasLAST year. Meaning it's a retro-active look at the toughness of their schedule based on all NFL teams' final results.The ESPN link shows what their "projected" SOS was prior to the start of the 2011-12 season and that was based on the 2010-11 season results.

You hear fans throw out the "we played the toughest schedule"line all the time....but you really can't tell the difficulty of the schedule from a numbers standpoint until after the season is over. Granted tough interdivision play and fluke wins/losses skew this a bit but it's a better guage of the actual SOS than pre-season projections which are usually wayyyyyy off and rarely hold merit.

[quote user="giantsfan420"]thats what i thought, we had the 2nd strongest last season and the most difficult this season...[/quote]
    We had the 2nd toughest schedule if you include the 4 playoff games. And I'm not too sure if for the records of the playoff games they count only the final regular season records or was SF 14-3 when the faced us? Was NE 13-3 or 15-3?

Very bad chart.