+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    All-Pro

Re: Members Espn NFL live declaring eagles "team to beat"

[quote user="Roswell777"][quote user="Ntegrase96"][quote user="Roswell777"][quote user="Ntegrase96"][quote user="Roswell777"][quote user="Drez"][quote user="Ntegrase96"]I don't really disagree too much with the assessment that the Eagles are the team to beat this year.

Obviously the Giants are the champs, but the Eagles made a strong showing toward the end of last year and had the strongest off season IMO.

That said, it seems like no one has noticed that the eagles have finished worse and worse over the last few years. They're not exactly trending up.
    [/quote]
    The Giants had a pretty strong finish to their season, too. We did win our last 6 games. I'd say an even stronger one. Winning the Super Bowl and all, you know.

I don't think the Eagles have had a much better off season than any of the other East teams, at least not us.
    [/quote]

I completely agree. You can't have a stronger finish than the team that wins it all.[/quote]

True! But how many times does the superbowl winning team not recapture that same drive they had the previous year? Meanwhile, as another thread has pointed out, the Eagles haven't had a championship in 52 years... roughly around the time people were still ****ing outdoors.

The Eagles were the team to beat last year-- it just took them a while to gel and it seems like they have now. Also, they had the best record in the NFCE, which had a game separate the third place team from the first place team.
    [/quote]

I agree with you that they locked up a lot of their young talent to long term deals, but I feel like losing Peters and Samuel is going to figure into this somehow.[/quote]

I forgot about losing Peters. That's going to hurt in the NFCE.
    [/quote]

The Eagles are lucky Vick is a lefty and it's the RT that has his back. But still, losing Peters is a huge blow to their offense.

And Samuel makes plays. He was good for a pick or two in a big spot.[/quote]

Losing Samuel helps them

[quote user="Ntegrase96"][quote user="jjj45"][quote user="Ntegrase96"]I don't really disagree too much with the assessment that the Eagles are the team to beat this year.

the Eagles made a strong showing toward the end of last year
    [/quote]If you mean by beating a bunch of crap teams then okay, yeah.

Don't understand why that "strong finish" thing keeps getting thrown around.
    [/quote]

The 'dream team' didn't have much of an offseason last year, a hurt michael vick, and a plethora of other excuses I can make that seem pretty empty.

Excuses are lame, but sometimes have their validity. I'm not saying those are the reasons the eagles stunk it up in the first half of the season, but it's impossible to ignore the improvements that team made in the last quarter of the season.

They are a matchup problem for the rest of the east.[/quote]

Excuses have validity ? The Giants put 6 CBs and their MLB on IR last year. Osi and Tuck dealt with injuries.

Are you one of those people that actually believe that Vick will play and entire season effectively? If he runs, he gets hit and he breaks. If doesn't run he takes huge hits and breaks as well. If he tries to avoid the big hit and limits his running he throws picks.

Dallas is a tougher matchup than Philly is. They have a competent QB and a balanced defense.

[quote user="Ntegrase96"][quote user="jjj45"][quote user="Ntegrase96"]I don't really disagree too much with the assessment that the Eagles are the team to beat this year.

[/quote]

The 'dream team' didn't have much of an offseason last year, a hurt michael vick, and a plethora of other excuses I can make that seem pretty empty.

Excuses are lame, but sometimes have their validity. I'm not saying those are the reasons the eagles stunk it up in the first half of the season, but it's impossible to ignore the improvements that team made in the last quarter of the season.

The Niners didn't have an offseason, either. They went from 6-10 to 13-3, beating some good teams in the process. Vick always gets hurt, but I remember Matt Schaub getting hurt, and then the second string QB, and a 5th round rookie leading the Texans to the Divisional Round of the playoffs. Oh, they had a new DC, too. And no offseason.

I also remember hearing something about the Giants having the third most injured defensive unit in the past 10 years. We won the SB.

[quote user="lawl"][quote user="Roswell777"][quote user="Ntegrase96"][quote user="Roswell777"][quote user="Ntegrase96"][quote user="Roswell777"][quote user="Drez"][quote user="Ntegrase96"]I don't really disagree too much with the assessment that the Eagles are the team to beat this year.

Obviously the Giants are the champs, but the Eagles made a strong showing toward the end of last year and had the strongest off season IMO.

That said, it seems like no one has noticed that the eagles have finished worse and worse over the last few years. They're not exactly trending up.
    [/quote]
    The Giants had a pretty strong finish to their season, too. We did win our last 6 games. I'd say an even stronger one. Winning the Super Bowl and all, you know.

I don't think the Eagles have had a much better off season than any of the other East teams, at least not us.
    [/quote]

I completely agree. You can't have a stronger finish than the team that wins it all.[/quote]

True! But how many times does the superbowl winning team not recapture that same drive they had the previous year? Meanwhile, as another thread has pointed out, the Eagles haven't had a championship in 52 years... roughly around the time people were still ****ing outdoors.

The Eagles were the team to beat last year-- it just took them a while to gel and it seems like they have now. Also, they had the best record in the NFCE, which had a game separate the third place team from the first place team.
    [/quote]

I agree with you that they locked up a lot of their young talent to long term deals, but I feel like losing Peters and Samuel is going to figure into this somehow.[/quote]

I forgot about losing Peters. That's going to hurt in the NFCE.
    [/quote]

The Eagles are lucky Vick is a lefty and it's the RT that has his back. But still, losing Peters is a huge blow to their offense.

And Samuel makes plays. He was good for a pick or two in a big spot.[/quote]

Losing Samuel helps them[/quote]
    Insofar as them being able to play more man, yes.

Definitely doesn't help them playing against us, though. Samuel just seems to have Eli's number.

[quote user="BlueBlooded1979"][quote user="Ntegrase96"][quote user="jjj45"][quote user="Ntegrase96"]I don't really disagree too much with the assessment that the Eagles are the team to beat this year.

[/quote]

Excuses have validity ? The Giants put 6 CBs and their MLB on IR last year. Osi and Tuck dealt with injuries.

Are you one of those people that actually believe that Vick will play and entire season effectively? If he runs, he gets hit and he breaks. If doesn't run he takes huge hits and breaks as well. If he tries to avoid the big hit and limits his running he throws picks.

Dallas is a tougher matchup than Philly is. They have a competent QB and a balanced defense.[/quote]

Yes. Excuses have validity. They're lame, but if we're making
    projections for next year we can examine what went wrong with the
    Eagles last year and guess whether or not they'll correct them like
    they started to toward the end of the season. In that regard, I don't
    see them as 'excuses' per se. More... unbiased realizations.

I
    agree Vick won't hold up for an entire season. But that doesn't mean
    he'll be as injured as he was before. And the Eagles defense should be
    better. They got better toward the end of last year once they started
    utilizing Aso correctly, DRC should be in a better position, and they
    drafted Brandon Boykins from GA to help fill the hole Samuel left--
    I've never thought that highly of Asante. And then they seemingly have
    fixed their linebacker situation.

I don't know about Dallas
    being a tougher match up than the Eagles for the Giants, but the Eagles
    are a nightmare matchup for Dallas and Wash. That could be 4 division
    wins right there as much as I hate to say it.

And I agree. The
    dallas defense could be pretty darn good this year. Coaching changes, 4
    deep at the CB position, one of the better cover safeties in the league
    with Brodney Poole, DE Sean Lissemore is coming along as a high motor
    Justin Smith type player, Ware is Ware, Dan Connor is an upgrade over
    Bradie James/Keith Brooking and is teamed up with old Penn State buddy
    Sean Lee.

2013 is our year though, and I firmly believe that.
    This team has been going through some very good changes since Garrett's
    taken over.

[quote user="Drez"][quote user="Ntegrase96"][quote user="jjj45"][quote user="Ntegrase96"]I don't really disagree too much with the assessment that the Eagles are the team to beat this year.

[/quote]

The Niners didn't have an offseason, either. They went from 6-10 to 13-3, beating some good teams in the process. Vick always gets hurt, but I remember Matt Schaub getting hurt, and then the second string QB, and a 5th round rookie leading the Texans to the Divisional Round of the playoffs. Oh, they had a new DC, too. And no offseason.

I also remember hearing something about the Giants having the third most injured defensive unit in the past 10 years. We won the SB.
    [/quote]

I guess I should have been more obvious with the excuses I used. I'm not actually making those excuses, but rather repeating what a lot of Eagles fans have said.

But bottom line is that Eagles team didn't gel until the last quarter of the season. And maybe that's because they had nothing to lose really-- who knows? But for now, I'm assuming it will carry over because... well, it's just an opinion really more than being based on trend.

DP

[quote user="Ntegrase96"][quote user="Roswell777"][quote user="Drez"][quote user="Ntegrase96"]I don't really disagree too much with the assessment that the Eagles are the team to beat this year.

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]The Eagles are talented but their QB cant put 4 games together to win in the playoffs. He will be their downfall

[quote user="sharick88"][quote user="bigblue58"]The only thing that surprises me about this is that anyone would actually listen to those morons or care what they think!
    ESPN is made up of two kinds of "experts"......Those who never played the game and ex-athletes who talk a better game than they ever played![/quote]
    I agree with this. The only person this does not apply to is Jerry Rice.[/quote]

Yes, you're absolutely right...I should have said a MAJORITY of them are ex athletes who talk a better game than they ever played!

[quote user="appodictic"]Also today Eli was ranked the third best QB in NFC east.
    [/quote]

Where did they rank Vick against the other RBs?