+ Reply to Thread

MANNING, GIANTS FOCUSED AS THEY RETURN TO FIELD

MANNING, GIANTS FOCUSED AS THEY RETURN TO FIELD

"As far as Eli Manning is concerned, the fulfillment of teammate Justin Tuck's
    claim that the New York Giants can turn into an NFL dynasty began Wednesday with
    the first organized team activity.

"It starts," Manning said, "right
    now."

With player equipment limited to only
    helmets in this phase of OTAs, coaches conducted non-contact drills at the Timex
    Performance Center. And while nothing spectacular happened, the champions were
    indeed back on the field with some new additions, like first-round draft pick
    David Wilson.

"Basically, it's a chance for the young
    guys to get out there and the coaches are trying to simplify things for them,"
    Manning said. "We've got new guys and we've got to get them used to our style of
    play.

"It's getting used to how we practice,
    how we prepare. When we come to the practice field, it's all business and full
    speed."

While the two-time, Super Bowl MVP
    quarterback indicated he has dynastic dreams, he said the team simply needs to
    improve, starting with him.

"I'm just trying to play at my level
    and my potential," Manning said.

Tuck, though, reiterated his plans to
    collect three more rings to go along with the two he already has.

"Why shouldn't we be (a dynasty)," Tuck
    asked. "I feel very confident in this team and this staff every year."

And this year, a seasoned Victor Cruz
    plans to embrace a new role that Tuck and Manning already have: leader.

"It's a unique situation," Cruz said.
    "I'm one of the older guys now, and the younger players look up to you. I'd like
    to think I can make an impression on the younger guys that through seeing the
    things that I do, they can see that things will happen through hard work."

Cruz finished last season with 82
    catches and 1,536 yards receiving, which was a franchise single-season record.
    He also had nine touchdowns.

But the feel-good, back-to-work day was
    not without an injury. In fact, in the opening minutes, fourth-year cornerback
    Brian Witherspoon went down in a simple position drill with yet another torn
    ACL. Witherspoon, who would have played in the secondary on passing downs and on
    special teams, missed all of last season when he tore the same one in the
    preseason.

While on the ground, his teammates
    knelt in prayer.

"It was heartbreaking," defensive back
    Terrell Thomas said. "It was just a Cover-2 drill, and the knee gave out. It's
    just tough to see because we know what he went through coming off an injury.
    You've got to go back out there and do it."

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Re: MANNING, GIANTS FOCUSED AS THEY RETURN TO FIELD

[quote user="RoanokeFan"]MANNING, GIANTS FOCUSED AS THEY RETURN TO FIELD

"As far as Eli Manning is concerned, the fulfillment of teammate Justin Tuck's
    claim that the New York Giants can turn into an NFL dynasty began Wednesday with
    the first organized team activity.

"It starts," Manning said, "right
    now."

With player equipment limited to only
    helmets in this phase of OTAs, coaches conducted non-contact drills at the Timex
    Performance Center. And while nothing spectacular happened, the champions were
    indeed back on the field with some new additions, like first-round draft pick
    David Wilson.

"Basically, it's a chance for the young
    guys to get out there and the coaches are trying to simplify things for them,"
    Manning said. "We've got new guys and we've got to get them used to our style of
    play.

"It's getting used to how we practice,
    how we prepare. When we come to the practice field, it's all business and full
    speed."

While the two-time, Super Bowl MVP
    quarterback indicated he has dynastic dreams, he said the team simply needs to
    improve, starting with him.

"I'm just trying to play at my level
    and my potential," Manning said.

Tuck, though, reiterated his plans to
    collect three more rings to go along with the two he already has.

"Why shouldn't we be (a dynasty)," Tuck
    asked. "I feel very confident in this team and this staff every year."

And this year, a seasoned Victor Cruz
    plans to embrace a new role that Tuck and Manning already have: leader.

"It's a unique situation," Cruz said.
    "I'm one of the older guys now, and the younger players look up to you. I'd like
    to think I can make an impression on the younger guys that through seeing the
    things that I do, they can see that things will happen through hard work."

Cruz finished last season with 82
    catches and 1,536 yards receiving, which was a franchise single-season record.
    He also had nine touchdowns.

But the feel-good, back-to-work day was
    not without an injury. In fact, in the opening minutes, fourth-year cornerback
    Brian Witherspoon went down in a simple position drill with yet another torn
    ACL. Witherspoon, who would have played in the secondary on passing downs and on
    special teams, missed all of last season when he tore the same one in the
    preseason.

While on the ground, his teammates
    knelt in prayer.

"It was heartbreaking," defensive back
    Terrell Thomas said. "It was just a Cover-2 drill, and the knee gave out. It's
    just tough to see because we know what he went through coming off an injury.
    You've got to go back out there and do it."

[/quote]Focus on a 5th Lombardi Trohy
    Football has been very, very good to us.
    Even though 2013 was a losing season, we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
    2-Washington, Green Bay, Denver, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
    3-San Francisco, Dallas, New England
    4-New York Giants!!!!!

Let's make it 5 in 2014 !!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

Veteran

I know that the schedule depends on how you finish the previous year...however...it seems odd to me that the Giants' schedule continues to be the toughest in the league by what appears to me to be a wide margin.

I have concluded that the reason is two-fold...

1)The Giants can take it and still win a respectable amount of games, and..

2)The tougher the games, the more interest by the viewers which, when it comes down to it, is the ultimate goal of the NFL.

I think that the men in charge are very happy with their favorite team and the results they've given and the ratings they've provided.

All JMO, though.

[quote user="nygfanmaybe"]I know that the schedule depends on how you finish the previous year...however...it seems odd to me that the Giants' schedule continues to be the toughest in the league by what appears to me to be a wide margin.

I have concluded that the reason is two-fold...

1)The Giants can take it and still win a respectable amount of games, and..

2)The tougher the games, the more interest by the viewers which, when it comes down to it, is the ultimate goal of the NFL.

I think that the men in charge are very happy with their favorite team and the results they've given and the ratings they've provided.

All JMO, though.[/quote]

I would prefer a balanced schedule but it is what it is. The giants won and they have the most challenging schedule, on paper. As for the G-men being the favored team in the league, not sure I agree with that...probably a team with a star on their helmet.

Everyone is looking at the schedule and saying... we have to play this one or that one. Remember, they have to play the Giants. I'm sure they're all not too happy about that.

I like what the leaders of this team are saying.

[quote user="nygfanmaybe"]I know that the schedule depends on how you finish the previous year...however...it seems odd to me that the Giants' schedule continues to be the toughest in the league by what appears to me to be a wide margin. I have concluded that the reason is two-fold... 1)The Giants can take it and still win a respectable amount of games, and.. 2)The tougher the games, the more interest by the viewers which, when it comes down to it, is the ultimate goal of the NFL. I think that the men in charge are very happy with their favorite team and the results they've given and the ratings they've provided. All JMO, though.[/quote]

Well last year was tough because all the second place teams were great. Even one was the SB champ. This season we have a first place schedule and are playing essentially the same teams. (GB, NO and SF)

"Phil Simms is the greatest QB in Giants history" ........Mahatma Gandhi

Veteran

[quote user="Morehead State"]Well last year was tough because all the second place teams were great. Even one was the SB champ.* This season we have a first place schedule and are playing essentially the same teams. (GB, NO and SF)

[/quote]

Either I am misinterpreting your post or you are under the impression that the Giants finished 2nd in the East. JIC...they won the division.

[quote user="nygfanmaybe"][quote user="Morehead State"]Well last year was tough because all the second place teams were great. Even one was the SB champ. This season we have a first place schedule and are playing essentially the same teams. (GB, NO and SF)

[/quote]

Either I am misinterpreting your post or you are under the impression that the Giants finished 2nd in the East. JIC...they won the division.[/quote]

Hes talking about last years schedule where we played 2nd place teams such as GB and NO because we finished 2nd the year before.

Veteran

[quote user="ShakeNBake"][quote user="nygfanmaybe"][quote user="Morehead State"]Well last year was tough because all the second place teams were great. Even one was the SB champ.* This season we have a first place schedule and are playing essentially the same teams. (GB, NO and SF)

[/quote]

Either I am misinterpreting your post or you are under the impression that the Giants finished 2nd in the East. JIC...they won the division.[/quote]

Hes talking about last years schedule where we played 2nd place teams such as GB and NO because we finished 2nd the year before.
    [/quote]

Ahhh...got it. Sorry MH...carry on.