+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

If there was ever a time for...

...Ramses Barden to grab the brass ring, the injury to Nicks is it. Will he step up? Will he fail?
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Re: If there was ever a time for...

[quote user="RoanokeFan"]...Ramses Barden to grab the brass ring, the injury to Nicks is it.* Will he step up?* Will he fail?
    [/quote]
    honestly, I have more hope for Jurnigan. Ramses just has not impressed me so far.

No. Barden is not a guy who can take Nick's role as the X receiver who plays isolated on the open side of the formation. Nothing in his game translates as the X receiver.

Will he get more reps? Sure, but that will probably be at the Slot or Z receiver, because that is where he stands a chance.

By the way, yes, Barden can improve, but for him to make the jump to even be serviceable at Nicks' role is just as likely as Ware suddenly becoming a 1400+ yard rusher.

[quote user="gmen0820"]No. Barden is not a guy who can take Nick's role as the X receiver who plays isolated on the open side of the formation. Nothing in his game translates as the X receiver.

Will he get more reps? Sure, but that will probably be at the Slot or Z receiver, because that is where he stands a chance.

By the way, yes, Barden can improve, but for him to make the jump to even be serviceable at Nicks' role is just as likely as Ware suddenly becoming a 1400+ yard rusher.[/quote]

There is nothing about Bardens game the translates to the slot. He lacks quickness, explosiveness or precise route running. He is a big bodied long strider with some speed and physicality. He is should be a matchup problem for smaller CBs and win most jump balls. That is is X or the Y.

Ive always believed ramses had the talent. It has just never shown up on the field.
    i know gmen and others dont feel strong about his game, i still believe he has the size, ability, and drive to contribute.

I never thought his route running was the issue, it was getting free from press coverage. If he can conquer that, i dont see why he couldnt be a legimate wr

[quote user="giantsfan420"]Ive always believed ramses had the talent. It has just never shown up on the field.
    i know gmen and others dont feel strong about his game, i still believe he has the size, ability, and drive to contribute.

I never thought his route running was the issue, it was getting free from press coverage. If he can conquer that, i dont see why he couldnt be a legimate wr[/quote]

same, i also feel getting off the line is a problem. im not optimistic its something he may eventually conquer tho, i dont think you can teach lateral quickness/explosion.. its a gift that you naturally have which mario and cruz has. i think barden is limited athletically in that area

maybe he can improve his upper body strength since he still looks pretty lanky, maybe that'll help him off the line but maybe some athletes are just lanky genetically. look at kevin durant... hasnt changed a bit

i see this as an exciting oppurtunity for jerell jernigan more than i do barden

[quote user="RoanokeFan"]...Ramses Barden to grab the brass ring, the injury to Nicks is it.* Will he step up?* Will he fail?
    [/quote]

My guess is he grabs the defender and pushes off!
    Giants fan since '58

All-Pro

I've been patient about Barden but I think we are going to see more from JJ and RR.

I'd love to see Barden prove me wrong though.

[quote user="BlueBlooded1979"][quote user="gmen0820"]No. Barden is not a guy who can take Nick's role as the X receiver who plays isolated on the open side of the formation. Nothing in his game translates as the X receiver.

By the way, yes, Barden can improve, but for him to make the jump to even be serviceable at Nicks' role is just as likely as Ware suddenly becoming a 1400+ yard rusher.[/quote]

There is nothing about Bardens game the translates to the slot. He lacks quickness, explosiveness or precise route running. He is a big bodied long strider with some speed and physicality. He is should be a matchup problem for smaller CBs and win most jump balls. That is is X or the Y.[/quote]Uh, no. First off, you start by saying, "He lacks quickness, explosiveness or precise route running." -- Basically, right there you are conceding that he shouldn't even be playing WR in the NFL.

X receivers are right on the line, get pressed, and normally face the biggest/most physical corners on the opposing team. X receivers have to be your best all around WR, with an excellent skill set. They must be able to go deep, intermediate, and short, and excel in every aspect. They must get open too, Barden can't/hasn't shown the ability to do either.

A Y receiver is normally your TE, but some use that term to describe a slot receiver. The small CBs will be playing in the slot, I think you have it mixed up.

You need to get the Victor Cruz/Wes Welker slot model out of your head to see how Barden translates to the slot.

When Nicks missed the Patriots game last year, Mario was our starting X receiver. Barden played the Z for the most part in 3 wide sets for that game.