+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I'm really missing Manningham after the Nicks news

This is where Manningham will be sorely missed. Every time Nicks has gone done with an injury, and Manningham stepped into the number 1 or 2 spot, we won every game. Nicks simply cannot stay healthy and this is something they should have considered before letting Rio walk. He signed with San Fran for dirt cheap.

Yes, there is a good chance that Nicks will be ready to go by week one. I sure hope so, but Manningham was a security blanket that was very under appreciated. Hopefully, Rueben Randle can get a head start on the learning curve, while Nicks is out. When teams doubled Cruz and Nicks, who made them pay?

I know some are going to resort to calling Rio dumb and stupid, and he drops balls, but Nicks and Cruz have had their share of mistakes. They all will learn from it. This injury bug has the hots for this damn team. Rio, along with Cruz and Nicks were instrumental to our success on offense during the playoffs.

Re: I'm really missing Manningham after the Nicks news

[quote user="I Bleed Blue"]This is where Manningham will be sorely missed. Every time Nicks has gone done with an injury, and Manningham stepped into the number 1 or 2 spot, we won every game. Nicks simply cannot stay healthy and this is something they should have considered before letting Rio walk. He signed with San Fran for dirt cheap.

Yes, there is a good chance that Nicks will be ready to go by week one. I sure hope so, but Manningham was a security blanket that was very under appreciated. Hopefully, Rueben Randle can get a head start on the learning curve, while Nicks is out. When teams doubled Cruz and Nicks, who made them pay?

I know some are going to resort to calling Rio dumb and stupid, and he drops balls, but Nicks and Cruz have had their share of mistakes. They all will learn from it. This injury bug has the hots for this damn team. Rio, along with Cruz and Nicks were instrumental to our success on offense during the playoffs.[/quote]

Mario wanted and deserved a bigger payday than the GIANTS could offer.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Mario is gone.
    He was a tremendous 3rd wide out for us, but he's gone and he's not an option anymore.
    That being said, I have confidence that Nicks will be back before the season opener.
    If not, next man up..

Please support.

[quote user="RoanokeFan"][quote user="I Bleed Blue"]This is where Manningham will be sorely missed. Every time Nicks has gone done with an injury, and Manningham stepped into the number 1 or 2 spot, we won every game. Nicks simply cannot stay healthy and this is something they should have considered before letting Rio walk. He signed with San Fran for dirt cheap.

I know some are going to resort to calling Rio dumb and stupid, and he drops balls, but Nicks and Cruz have had their share of mistakes. They all will learn from it. This injury bug has the hots for this damn team. Rio, along with Cruz and Nicks were instrumental to our success on offense during the playoffs.[/quote]

[/quote]

"Could" offer? I think they definitely could've offered something close to what SF did... we're talking a 2-year contract with barely a major cap hit if you look closely at the contract. I think it was 2 mill guaranteed and barely over 1 mill cap hit this year... there was nothing earth shattering about what san fran signed him too. it was not completely impossible for the giants to somewhat match/offer

I think its more of a matter of what the giants WANTED to offer because whats interesting is that toomer said he spoke to manningham, and the giants didnt reach back to him when he was going to sign to SF. tells me the giants also may have wanted to move on.. which is kinda disappointing personally.

[quote user="I Bleed Blue"]He signed with San Fran for dirt cheap.
    [/quote]

I was surprised how little he got. I will miss Rio too until someone else steps up. I think that someone will be Randle.

[quote user="Neverend"][quote user="RoanokeFan"][quote user="I Bleed Blue"]This is where Manningham will be sorely missed. Every time Nicks has gone done with an injury, and Manningham stepped into the number 1 or 2 spot, we won every game. Nicks simply cannot stay healthy and this is something they should have considered before letting Rio walk. He signed with San Fran for dirt cheap.

[/quote]

"Could" offer? I think they definitely could've offered something close to what SF did... we're talking a 2-year contract with barely a major cap hit if you look closely at the contract. I think it was 2 mill guaranteed and barely over 1 mill cap hit this year... there was nothing earth shattering about what san fran signed him too. it was not completely impossible for the giants to somewhat match/offer

I think its more of a matter of what the giants WANTED to offer because whats interesting is that toomer said he spoke to manningham, and the giants didnt reach back to him when he was going to sign to SF. tells me the giants also may have wanted to move on.. which is kinda disappointing personally.[/quote]

Could not have said it better. I have no faith in Barden and Hixon just doesn't stand out, with the exception of special teams. The San Fran offer should have been matched. The money he received from San Fran is laughable.

It would have been a steal to hide a number 2 or maybe even number 1 receiver on your depth chart as number 3. It's a no brainer. And no, I'm not Reese bashing. I love the guy. This one however got away.

[quote user="Neverend"][quote user="RoanokeFan"][quote user="I Bleed Blue"]This is where Manningham will be sorely missed. Every time Nicks has gone done with an injury, and Manningham stepped into the number 1 or 2 spot, we won every game. Nicks simply cannot stay healthy and this is something they should have considered before letting Rio walk. He signed with San Fran for dirt cheap.

[/quote]

I think its more of a matter of what the giants WANTED to offer because whats interesting is that toomer said he spoke to manningham, and the giants didnt reach back to him when he was going to sign to SF. tells me the giants also may have wanted to move on.. which is kinda disappointing personally.[/quote]

We don't know if there was an opportunity for the GIANTS to match an offer or what they originally offered. But CAP space was an issue not only for this season but in terms of re-signing Nicks and Cruz in the not too distant future. It's not about what's possible but what's best for the team, long term.

We also don't know what Mario's demand was to the GIANTS. It took a while for him to sign so it's possible his demands were lowered as the clock ticked. Why would the GIANTS even know what any other team offered any player?

As you suggest, it could well be that based on their long term goals Mario was not a good fit.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

We have other receivers on the roster and we have, we hope, a better running game in the wings. Fortunately, this is not an IR issue and if we get Hakeem back in the first quarter of the season we should be OK.

So because Hakeem nicks gets a few injuries and misses a few games. you miss another receiver who has had injuries and has missed a few games?

BRILLIANT LOGIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "...two minute drill at the end of each quarter, Ya'know with the wind like this blowing mooch and marshall into the ocean...If that's behind me I think were getting 3 from 70 so holla at your boy. IF YOU DON"T PICK ME THAT'S A JOKE RIGHT?" - Justin Tucker, Ravens kicker

Complain?, ain't Nobody got time for dat!

GO GIANTS!

Giants did the right thing letting Mario go because they drafted another wr in the high rounds and it looks like he will be a big threat.