+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Remember When?

Remember When?

Two years ago you guys couldn't stop complaining about Eli Manning. How he was too soft, how he made dumb decisions, how he threw too many interceptions, how he was terrible etc.

Look at you guys now. All over him.

Was just thinking now how things have changed greatly. Must be the best crow you've had, right?

Re: Remember When?

He was great in the 2007 playoff run too and people forgot about that after two years.
    8-Time NFL Champions - 1927 1934 1938 1956 1986 1990 2007 2011

"You win close games because you're prepared to do it. It doesn't just come down to luck." -- Bill Parcells

Eli's been consistently good for the last few years, it was only last season when his receivers caught up.

[quote user="NYgiants141"]Two years ago you guys couldn't stop complaining about Eli Manning. How he was too soft, how he made dumb decisions, how he threw too many interceptions, how he was terrible etc.

Was just thinking now how things have changed greatly. Must be the best crow you've had, right?
    [/quote]

I'll take the crow now, definitely...

I was complaining about him even into the 2011 season. In 2010 I called him the Interception Machine. I was starting to warm up to his 4th quarter heroics throughout the season, but wasn't completely sold. What finally turned me around was his performance in the title game. Name any of the "greats" playing as an NFL QB today. Brady, Brees, Rodgers, and his brother... none of them would have won that game in the same position that Eli was in. Seeing Eli get back up repeatedly after many nasty sacks was what finally showed me that Eli really did have the "it" factor that no other QB in the league has...

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    We need a tight end,
    repeat, again and again
    ToadofSteel's mantra.

[quote user="Toadofsteel"][quote user="NYgiants141"]Two years ago you guys couldn't stop complaining about Eli Manning. How he was too soft, how he made dumb decisions, how he threw too many interceptions, how he was terrible etc.

[/quote]

I was complaining about him even into the 2011 season. In 2010 I called him the Interception Machine. I was starting to warm up to his 4th quarter heroics throughout the season, but wasn't completely sold. What finally turned me around was his performance in the title game. Name any of the "greats" playing as an NFL QB today. Brady, Brees, Rodgers, and his brother... none of them would have won that game in the same position that Eli was in. Seeing Eli get back up repeatedly after many nasty sacks was what finally showed me that Eli really did have the "it" factor that no other QB in the league has...[/quote]

I get the feeling that was the game that convinced most of the remaining skeptical pundits, as well. Over the the last 3-4 months that's the one game referred to most as Eli's "breakout" game as a truly elite QB. That, along with his second SB MVP victory, of course.

Myself, I have viewed Eli as progressing as a top QB each year since SB XLII, and viewed his 25 interceptions in 2010 as a temporary aberration, not the "certain" backsliding that so many were eager to paint Eli with.

And it's interesting that with no off season in 2011, and without his so-called security blankets Smith and Boss--replaced by untested virtual "rookies" Cruz and Ballard-- Eli has the best year of his career statistically, and posts a second MVP SB performance, isn't it?

its not as fun on here anymore. lol.

[quote user="gmen46"][quote user="Toadofsteel"][quote user="NYgiants141"]Two years ago you guys couldn't stop complaining about Eli Manning. How he was too soft, how he made dumb decisions, how he threw too many interceptions, how he was terrible etc.

[/quote]

I was complaining about him even into the 2011 season. In 2010 I called him the Interception Machine. I was starting to warm up to his 4th quarter heroics throughout the season, but wasn't completely sold. What finally turned me around was his performance in the title game. Name any of the "greats" playing as an NFL QB today. Brady, Brees, Rodgers, and his brother... none of them would have won that game in the same position that Eli was in. Seeing Eli get back up repeatedly after many nasty sacks was what finally showed me that Eli really did have the "it" factor that no other QB in the league has...[/quote]

I get the feeling that was the game that convinced most of the remaining skeptical pundits, as well. Over the the last 3-4 months that's the one game referred to most as Eli's "breakout" game as a truly elite QB. That, along with his second SB MVP victory, of course.

Myself, I have viewed Eli as progressing as a top QB each year since SB XLII, and viewed his 25 interceptions in 2010 as a temporary aberration, not the "certain" backsliding that so many were eager to paint Eli with.

And it's interesting that with no off season in 2011, and without his so-called security blankets Smith and Boss--replaced by untested virtual "rookies" Cruz and Ballard-- Eli has the best year of his career statistically, and posts a second MVP SB performance, isn't it?[/quote]

Just bear in mind that I'm not one of those pundits. I was HOPING for Eli to deliver something magical, and boy did he ever...

I for one hope this influences the trend of the passing game. It used to be about flash and finesse, maybe with some True Grit(tm) infused into NFL QB's, there won't be this push to turn the NFL into the National Flag League...

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    We need a tight end,
    repeat, again and again
    ToadofSteel's mantra.

Eli wasn't the most popular guys around here

I remember when I merely suggested I'd take Eli over Big Ben because of Eli's elite ability to read defenses and his presnap recognition....

and I was destroyed and ridiculed for even entertaining the idea eli could be better than big ben in any way or form. This was after his 2010 season. The 360 about eli's perception is amazing

Lets face it: The criticism toward him was 100% warranted at times, as Eli was(and still is) somewhat inconsistent and sloppy. It doesn't take away anything that he's accomplished, but some folks simply do not see him as the greatest QB who ever lived, and theres nothing wrong with that. Just accept the fact that not everyone will be totally enamored of the guy. He certainly proved me wrong last season, and I suspect that I'm far from being the only one, but it doesn't mean I won't rationally criticize him going forward, because it's highly likely that I will.

He's an outstanding QB, and I'm very happy we have him, but I reserve the right to call him out when neccessary. Its part of the deal as a fan.

[quote user="Die-Hard"]Lets face it: The criticism toward him was 100% warranted at times, as Eli was(and still is) somewhat inconsistent and sloppy. It doesn't take away anything that he's accomplished, but some folks simply do not see him as the greatest QB who ever lived, and theres nothing wrong with that. Just accept the fact that not everyone will be totally enamored of the guy. He certainly proved me wrong last season, and I suspect that I'm far from being the only one, but it doesn't mean I won't rationally criticize him going forward, because it's highly likely that I will.

He's an outstanding QB, and I'm very happy we have him, but I reserve the right to call him out when neccessary. Its part of the deal as a fan.
    [/quote]

I completely agree. Of course we have the right to get on his back when he under-preforms.

But from what i remember, the score could be 42-35 and the loss would STILL somehow be his fault.